2024 Training Camp Thread

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Per Detroit Sports Podcast, Detroit Lions kicker Jake Bates went 6-6 during team periods today including multiple 50+ YD FG’s.

I look forward to Bates' Monster Leg making the roster, only for media and fans to lose their mind when MCDC still goes for it on 4th and short from the 35. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Per Detroit Sports Podcast, Detroit Lions kicker Jake Bates went 6-6 during team periods today including multiple 50+ YD FG’s.

Michael Badgley won’t be the Lions kicker this season.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell said at his Friday morning press conference that Badgley will miss the entire 2024 season after suffering an injury while getting ready for practice on Thursday. Campbell did not disclose the specific injury, but multiple reports indicate it is a torn hamstring and Badgley will need to have surgery to repair it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/lions-k-michael-badgley-out-for-season-after-practice-injury

6 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Apparently, Michael Badgely is going to IR with an injury.  Jake Bates is the Lions PK by default.  Letting James Turner go stings a little bit though.

Detroit Lions lose K Michael Badgley for season (msn.com)

Thats a little scary given his inexperience.  I wouldn't be shocked if we bring in another kicker to compete for the spot.  Sounds like although Bates has been good, a couple kicks barely snuck between the posts and his kickoffs are erratic (which may be on purpose due to new rules but unsure at this point).  But also noting that his leg is big and one of his 30 something yard attempts landed on top of a building 25 yards behind the goal posts.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats a little scary given his inexperience.  I wouldn't be shocked if we bring in another kicker to compete for the spot.  Sounds like although Bates has been good, a couple kicks barely snuck between the posts and his kickoffs are erratic (which may be on purpose due to new rules but unsure at this point).  But also noting that his leg is big and one of his 30 something yard attempts landed on top of a building 25 yards behind the goal posts.  

Honestly, I dont care if its Jake Bates, Norman Bates or his mom (Psycho movie reference) or another veteran kicker--I just want someone to grab the bull by the horns and take the starting PK Job.  This seems like the only position on the roster that hasn't been fixed.

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am certain another kicker is going to be signed. This staff is built on competition and nothing is given without being earned. 

I'm probably in the minority of fans but I didn't dislike Badgley and wouldn't have been upset going into the season with him again. Hope he heals quickly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Has anyone heard when Christian Mahagony will make it back to training camp?  He has a ton of upside but the longer he is out, the harder it is going to be for him when he comes back.

I think I read he was out with an illness so I would expect him to be back sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am feeling a little better about Hendon Hooker.  Apparently, he dislocated a finger on his throwing hand in OTAs.  He still seems to be progressing though.  

Hendon Hooker still battling a finger injury from OTAs (usatoday.com)

There is a lot of positive stuff coming out about Hooker and Jamo so far. Definitely good to hear and hope it continues and isn't just the typical kool-aid early camp chatter.  But the reports that Jamo is noticeably bigger and has been catching everything is a good sign.  Hooker hopefully wins that backup battle and impresses in the preseason.  Would be nice to have a quality backup that can win games if needed and maybe turn into an asset that we can flip after 2025.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was reading some training camp observations and Brodric Martin got some love today for taking out a RB in the backfield.  He has been running with the 1s.  It is good to see some signs of progress.  He might be the biggest beneficiary of the Terrell Williams addition.

Edited by Just Want A Title

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I haven't heard what is going on with him but MCDC sounds pessimistic.

Lions ‘have to assume we don’t have’ rookie OL Christian Mahogany (usatoday.com)

Thats no good.  Has to be quite serious if thats the approach DC is taking.  Maybe he is frustrated he isn't there more than anything or maybe just using it to motivate others right now but usually DC is a straight shooter.  This could be why we signed Boettger before camp because we knew it would be a lengthy recovery for him.  

I would like to see Manu get some chances with Mahogany not there.  

18 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was reading some training camp observations and Brodric Martin got some love today for taking out a RB in the backfield.  He has been running with the 1s.  It is good to see some signs of progress.  He might be the biggest beneficiary of the Terrell Williams addition.

Was this a padded practice?  I did see he was taking first team reps with Reader out which is a positive sign.  I think the Williams effect and the year of experience effect have helped him a ton.  From all accounts, he has changed his body drastically and been working hard this offseason.  Thats exactly the type of attitude we need from guys.  I feel like people were hard on him last year because DT was a need and they expected him to step in right away but most mid round picks and later need time to develop, and based on the other drafts, I fully expect him to improve.