2024 Training Camp Thread

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/detroit-lions-training-camp-day-5-observations-stbrown-ragnow-hutchinson

Some highlights/interesting tidbits from Twentyman's observations of yesterdays first padded practice. One of the bad things about camp is typically if someone or a group looks good, the opposite is true for who they are going against. 

• We haven't had an interception which is concerning through 5 practices.  As I mentioned the good and bad could be that Goff is just playing well, but they also have gone against Sudfeld and Hooker.  I hope our offense takes care of the ball but also would like to see our D create more TO's. 
  • The pass rush drills sounded exciting.  Ragnow dominated his, Sewell vs Hutch was split but they are both making each other better. Sorsdal is playing well at OT. Wingo beat Zeitler and Boettger on his reps.  Again I like to hear Wingo playing well but also not a fan of Zeitler getting beat by a 6th round rookie.  Also Davenport had positive reps, fingers crossed he can stay healthy. 
  • Davis made some nice plays but Laporta still caught one that he made a great play on.  That is one of those both things can be good because Davis is in the right place making the play but Laporta is an elite TE and not many TEs would still make that play.  
  • The open field tackling drills are a little concerning with Monty beating Campbell.  I know Monty is solid but we need JC to be a rock at LB.  really want to see growth from him.  Sounds like our LBs lost quite a few of those reps including JRM being beat by a Zylstra spin move.  

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Was this a padded practice?  I did see he was taking first team reps with Reader out which is a positive sign.  I think the Williams effect and the year of experience effect have helped him a ton.  From all accounts, he has changed his body drastically and been working hard this offseason.  Thats exactly the type of attitude we need from guys.  I feel like people were hard on him last year because DT was a need and they expected him to step in right away but most mid round picks and later need time to develop, and based on the other drafts, I fully expect him to improve.  

Yes.  It was in a write-up by Justin Rogers.  Even Jeff Risdon had Brodric Martin listed as a "stock up" player and he tends to be really negative about Brodric Martin.

Lions training camp: Stock up, stock down from the first week (usatoday.com)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For me, the story has been about the development of our depth players.  Colby Sorsdal seems to be playing really well and seems to headed for a #3OT role.  That is solid progress for a 5th round pick from William and Mary.  Antoine Green is having a solid camp.  He seems like an easy fit on special teams and #4 WR.  Our depth at CB seems to be shaping up well.  Steven Gilmore, Khalil Dorsey and even Kindle Vildore are making plays.  

One player that isn't being talked about despite having a solid start to training camp is Ifeatu Melifonwu.  Folks were wondering if his play last season was just a flash in the pan.  Based on what he is doing in camp so far, he is going to settle the secondary down if he stays healthy.  He has been cooked by Jamo but everybody is getting cooked by Jamo.

Folks were wondering how Jamo would respond to the opportunity to step into the #2WR spot.  He has answered that question forcefully.  If he stays reasonably healthy the Lions passing game and offense as a whole could put up huge numbers.

It is cool to see Frank Ragnow being Frank Ragnow but I hope he is able to stay healthy and be available for what is expected to be a deep playoff run.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

Lions defensive end John Cominsky was carted off the field at practice today, and the prognosis isn’t good. Cominsky has a torn MCL and is out indefinitely, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The report says Cominsky could be “possibly back for the playoffs,” which would suggest he’s expected to miss the entire regular season.

That’s a big loss. Cominsky started 11 regular-season games and all three playoff games for the Lions last season. He played 569 snaps in the Lions’ defensive line rotation; only Aidan Hutchinson played more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/lions-john-cominsky-could-miss-season-with-torn-mcl

dang it. sorry, guys.

10 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I haven't heard what is going on with him but MCDC sounds pessimistic.

Lions ‘have to assume we don’t have’ rookie OL Christian Mahogany (usatoday.com)

I listened to MCDC's press conference and it seems like a significant, probably contagious, illness. MCDC said he's been participating in meetings online though. 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Lions defensive end John Cominsky was carted off the field at practice today, and the prognosis isn’t good. Cominsky has a torn MCL and is out indefinitely, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The report says Cominsky could be “possibly back for the playoffs,” which would suggest he’s expected to miss the entire regular season.

That’s a big loss. Cominsky started 11 regular-season games and all three playoff games for the Lions last season. He played 569 snaps in the Lions’ defensive line rotation; only Aidan Hutchinson played more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/lions-john-cominsky-could-miss-season-with-torn-mcl

dang it. sorry, guys.

Injuries suck. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Lots of chatter about Holmes first second round pick ever, Levi Onwuzurike, making impressive plays throughout OTAs, training camp, and the first few padded practices.

I was just reading about that.  I am subscribed to the Detroit Football Network.  It is good to see.  I have been curious about the impact of Terrell Williams.  Check out the feedback from Hutch:

"If I'm being honest, I think a lot of it (early-camp disruption up front) is the new coach we got,” Hutchinson said. “T (Williams) has been one of those guys, he just, everything we do, we just pull the trigger. All we're really focused on is getting off the ball, striking blocks and the rest of it will take care of itself.

“I feel like that mindset is very liberating for a lot of d-lineman,” Hutchinson continued. “They're not focused on not being so — I don't know what the word is — not to be so strict about this block, that way, but if we're just going as hard as we can, we're going to create a lot of different pressure."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Lots of chatter about Holmes first second round pick ever, Levi Onwuzurike, making impressive plays throughout OTAs, training camp, and the first few padded practices.

Good thing because with Cominsky going down we will need him and Wingo to step up.  I always thought Cominsky was on the bubble anyways with Wingo being a similar stature and play style as him, just now its forced.  If Levi can get right an make an impact, even better.  Especially with Reeder also being slow to recover and if we make it possible to let him get fully healthy first, we will be in better shape come playoff time.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I really hope a solid veteran PK becomes available.  The inconsistency of Jake Bates isn't going away.

I am kind of glad to see the Lions having joint practice with the Giants soon.  We have some dominant players on our O-Line.  It will be interesting to see how our D-Line performs against a different team.

Update:  Apparently James Turner is back on the market.  I don't think he would be worse than Jake Bates at this point.

On 7/31/2024 at 4:24 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Good thing because with Cominsky going down we will need him and Wingo to step up.  I always thought Cominsky was on the bubble anyways with Wingo being a similar stature and play style as him, just now its forced.  If Levi can get right an make an impact, even better.  Especially with Reeder also being slow to recover and if we make it possible to let him get fully healthy first, we will be in better shape come playoff time.  

You hate to see a player like John Cominsky go down with an injury.  The only upshot is that Mekhi Wingo will have the opportunity to get more reps.  More reps can only help Wingo.

Posted (edited)

It is still early but I was hoping to see more definitive progress from some our depth players.  The departure of Josh Reynolds created an opportunity for all the WRs to move up the depth chart.  DPJ hasn't really stepped up as expected.  Antoine Green has improved but has been a bit inconsistent.  He should be able to get into the WR4 slot but I am not sure if he has flashed enough to convince folks he can shoulder WR3 responsibilities at least part of the time.  The slow progress of Hendon Hooker is a little confounding.  Unless he really turns it around, I suspect the Lions are keeping Nate Sudfeld around.  Injuries have muddied the picture at backup OG.  The further we get into camp without Christian Mahagony, the less likely it is he will be able to contribute even as a back-up.  At this point, there is no way, the Lions can go into the season with Jake Bates as the PK.  He has a big leg but continues to be very inconsistent.  Hopefully, this stuff will get sorted out sooner rather than later.