Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

The first query for Commanders head coach Dan Quinn had to do with the practice plan for Jayden Daniels in his first NFL camp and Quinn answered by saying that he knows there’s a lot of interest in when Daniels will officially be installed as the team’s starter. Quinn didn’t expend much energy on the idea that anyone other than Daniels will be the team’s Week One starter, but said that “one size doesn’t fit all” and the team will let things play out for a bit before making any pronouncements.

Quinn: “It’s not a secret, but it is a journey and a process. As we’re going — when he’s ready, we’ll know. When he’s ready, he’ll also know."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dan-quinn-when-jayden-daniels-is-ready-well-know

• Like 1

Yeah, Daniels and Caleb Williams...and probably Bo Nix, are the only ones I'd guarantee to be starting Week 1.  I think it's pretty assured that Maye, McCarthy and Penix will all be sitting.  Of those 3, Maye will probably be the one to start first, but you never know.

• Like 2

Atlanta head coach Raheem Morris said in his Thursday press conference that Penix will split the backup quarterback reps with veteran Taylor Heinicke during training camp.

Cousins is fully cleared from his torn Achilles suffered last season, but also noted on Thursday that he’s not going to play in the preseason, Which should give Penix plenty of opportunity to get on the field in August.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/michael-penix-to-split-backup-qb-reps-with-taylor-heinicke-in-camp

First-round draft pick Bo Nix is hoping to win the starting job over his veteran competition, but he was asked Saturday whether he was prepared to “accept” the backup job.

Nix: “Well, I don’t know if I have a choice on that one. If I want to stick around, I better accept it. But I also don’t necessarily want to become complacent and say, ‘You know what, it’s my rookie year; I’m OK with sitting back and learning.’ The y’ll play me when I’m ready, so I’m going to do my best to get ready.’'

“You owe it to respect the other guys in the competition, too. They also want to be the starter, and they also are going to have to accept [Payton’s decision]. Whatever they decide, that’s what we’re going with.’'

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-theyll-play-me-when-im-ready-so-im-going-to-do-my-best-to-get-ready

On 7/27/2024 at 10:44 PM, vike daddy said:

First-round draft pick Bo Nix is hoping to win the starting job over his veteran competition, but he was asked Saturday whether he was prepared to “accept” the backup job.

Nix: “Well, I don’t know if I have a choice on that one. If I want to stick around, I better accept it. But I also don’t necessarily want to become complacent and say, ‘You know what, it’s my rookie year; I’m OK with sitting back and learning.’ The y’ll play me when I’m ready, so I’m going to do my best to get ready.’'

“You owe it to respect the other guys in the competition, too. They also want to be the starter, and they also are going to have to accept [Payton’s decision]. Whatever they decide, that’s what we’re going with.’'

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-theyll-play-me-when-im-ready-so-im-going-to-do-my-best-to-get-ready

If he can't beat out Jarrett Stidham and Zach Wilson, I'd already be declaring him a bust.

Given Zach Wilson’s past performance, he was always seen as a long shot to beat out the others and the big question for Broncos head coach Sean Payton has always been how long he’ll wait to make Nix, this year’s first-round pick, the No. 1 guy. Payton hasn’t offered an answer to that question, but did say Nix did “pretty well” with his turn to play with the starters on Wednesday, and “I like his progress.”

The preseason gets underway for the Broncos next week and a good performance for Nix in Indianapolis will add to the pressure to make him the choice for Week One against the Seahawks.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-payton-i-like-bo-nixs-progress

When it comes to Drake Maye's performance in New England's training camp this summer, multiple people in attendance have confirmed that he hasn't looked very impressive.

Earlier this week, the Boston Globe's Ben Volin wrote that fellow Patriots rookie quarterback Joe Milton, a 2024 sixth-round pick, has "outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-escaped-disaster-drake-maye-new-england-patriots?

@m haynes @Soko @Hunter2_1 - any validity to this statement, or is it just reporters needing to put something into circulation? how has Maye done so far? how pleased or displeased are die hard Pats fans with him?

27 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

When it comes to Drake Maye's performance in New England's training camp this summer, multiple people in attendance have confirmed that he hasn't looked very impressive.

Earlier this week, the Boston Globe's Ben Volin wrote that fellow Patriots rookie quarterback Joe Milton, a 2024 sixth-round pick, has "outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-escaped-disaster-drake-maye-new-england-patriots?

@m haynes @Soko @Hunter2_1 - any validity to this statement, or is it just reporters needing to put something into circulation? how has Maye done so far? how pleased or displeased are die hard Pats fans with him?

Milton’s not even getting first or second team reps, and has recently not even been taking any 11-on-11s, so that’s definitely not true. 

Days 1 and 2 had ups and down, Days 2 through 6ish were rookie struggles, and then the last few days he’s rebounded. Jacoby’s maintained his lead as QB1, generally looking much more consistent - which was expected. 

But yeah, the Milton stuff is clickbait.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Soko said:

Milton’s not even getting first or second team reps, and has recently not even been taking any 11-on-11s, so that’s definitely not true. 

Days 1 and 2 had ups and down, Days 2 through 6ish were rookie struggles, and then the last few days he’s rebounded. Jacoby’s maintained his lead as QB1, generally looking much more consistent - which was expected. 

But yeah, the Milton stuff is clickbait.

i figured it was just fluff, yes.

how is the FF Patriots fanbase looking at Maye? is he doing fine so far, an as expected kind of thing?

Edited by vike daddy

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i figured it was just fluff, yes.

how is the FF Patriots fanbase looking at Maye? is he doing fine so far, an as expected kind of thing?

Go check the TC thread in the Patriots sub…there’s like 4 of us, lol. 

• Like 1

Maye has not been good in TC. The last two days he has had better numbers in 7-7 and 11-11 but has not attempted a pass over 10 yards. Milton was 0-1 in combined team drills today. Milton has looked good at times in drills and been awful at times. I felt before the draft that Maye was too much of a project to draft and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong. I think he has tons of talent but there is so much wrong in how he does things. 

• Like 2