2024 NFL Top 100 Discussion

Soko

46 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Because he had worse receiving core in the league. 

Why didn't Lamar win the SB? Last time I checked SBs are more important than MVPs. 

I doubt Lamar ever wins a SB. He's simply not good enough. 

MVPs are vastly more important the SBs. Any schmuck can win a Super Bowl. Only great players with elite skills win MVPs.

25 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Best year doesn't mean giving you the best odds to win a SB. It's not best year it's best player of the year. And Mahomes flat out gives you the best regardless of stats, or production. If it is based on production I already don't like it anyways. Production means nothing if like Lamar you win MVP but then do nothing in the playoffs.

Is the list called “top players of 2024”? Or is it called “top players most likely to win a SB?”

You’re conflating different topics. When Patrick Mahomes wasn’t sniffing the MVP this year, behind guys like Brock, Lamar, Allen, and Dak - was that the voters saying Dak’s got a better chance of leading a team to a SB than reigning SB champion Patrick Mahomes? No.It was them saying Dak was having a better year - which he did. You can fully strip that credit from Dak and say it was solely because Mahomes was only throwing to HOF TE Travis Kelce, but Dak still had the better year. 

The list isn’t about SB odds or playoffs or anything else (which we know with certainty, considering the voting took place in November-December). They’re talking about who had the better year. 

And even then, legacy was still involved, otherwise Burrow, Rodgers, and Mahomes would’ve been much lower than they were. Basing the list on last year alone, Mahomes was lucky to be fourth. Obviously he’s still the best QB overall, but the 2023 regular season did not reflect that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Soko said:

Is the list called “top players of 2024”? Or is it called “top players most likely to win a SB?”

You’re conflating different topics. When Patrick Mahomes wasn’t sniffing the MVP this year, behind guys like Brock, Lamar, Allen, and Dak - was that the voters saying Dak’s got a better chance of leading a team to a SB than reigning SB champion Patrick Mahomes? No.It was them saying Dak was having a better year - which he did. You can fully strip that credit from Dak and say it was solely because Mahomes was only throwing to HOF TE Travis Kelce, but Dak still had the better year. 

The list isn’t about SB odds or playoffs or anything else (which we know with certainty, considering the voting took place in November-December). They’re talking about who had the better year. 

And even then, legacy was still involved, otherwise Burrow, Rodgers, and Mahomes would’ve been much lower than they were. Basing the list on last year alone, Mahomes was lucky to be fourth. Obviously he’s still the best QB overall, but the 2023 regular season did not reflect that.

I'm not sure why this is so hard for him to understand. 

The Cam Newton MVP year was the perfect explanation, but we're still here.

2 hours ago, Soko said:

That’s simply not how it works. Being the number one player doesn’t mean you always have the number one season. The year Cam won MVP and #1 player in the league in this same list - was anyone saying he’s a better QB than Brady and Rodgers? No. But he had a better season that year. 

The problem is this list is not consistent in following that criteria.  If it is supposed to be who had the best seasons in 2023, then the inclusions of Herbert/Burrow/Rodgers don't make sense or Dak being behind Hurts.  Was Kelce the 9th best player last year?

Not that I'm expecting a lot from this list.  And I do agree with you that if the criteria is to look at 2023 and 2023 alone, then Jackson over Mahomes kinda makes sense.  But I don't think that is something the list does a good job of reflecting year-in, year-out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

The problem is this list is not consistent in following that criteria.  If it is supposed to be who had the best seasons in 2023, then the inclusions of Herbert/Burrow/Rodgers don't make sense or Dak being behind Hurts.  Was Kelce the 9th best player last year?

Not that I'm expecting a lot from this list.  And I do agree with you that if the criteria is to look at 2023 and 2023 alone, then Jackson over Mahomes kinda makes sense.  But I don't think that is something the list does a good job of reflecting year-in, year-out.

You’re right. I imagine NFLN purposely gives players free reign in determining how they vote to create a weirder list. Gotta keep the clicks up.

I still think the premise is pretty static in this case, though. The criteria obviously isn’t consistent, but we know that it’s heavily weighted towards the most recent season. We also know that being the best QB in the league (whether that be Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc) does not guarantee you’re the number one player voted on the list. Adrian Peterson won MVP and was voted ahead of Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Peyton. Calvin Johnson was ahead of Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. Cam Newton was #1. This list is many things and has many criteria depending on which player you’re asking - but what it has never been is “who gives you the best chance of getting to a SB”.