Commanders bring WR Martavis Bryant back to NFL

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

From listening to the B. Mitchell video?

It sounds like there might be 1 or more players, not showing the skills the coaching staff is looking for.

And, that there might be some diva, whining, complaining, moaning or whatever coming from said WR(s).

So they signed Bryant cause he was probably cheap, but still talented even at 32.

He's a big dude who has shown that he belonged in this league, but has made some mistakes along the way. Looking for redemption type of thing.

His speed & size, might be something the coaching staff want to add to the roster. 

They didn't have to trade draft resources to take a look at a player.

And Dan Quinn knows Bryant & what he looked like in Dallas last yr. And wondered why Dallas didn't bring him up.

I think Jahan Dotson might be the player, who's in trouble of not only starting....?

But making this team.

They want the best players for their schemes.

Where you were drafted, does not matter to this coaching staff. They want effort!

Now THAT, is a good coaching staff, gentleman.

It is Dotson, but I still don’t really believe Jahan is in jeopardy of not being at least the #3 until he’s not. It just seems unlikely to me given what Jahan has flashed over the last two years vs what Dyami has flashed. Dotson just has proven to be better but I guess we’ll see.

Nikki Jahabvala is on BMitch & Finlay and she doesn’t think Jahan Dotson is in trouble. She said they know what he can do and he doesn’t need to make spectacular plays in practice or in preseason to make the team.

Posted (edited)

https://twitter.com/jpfinlaynbcs/status/1823354130192052594?s=46&t=6HL-uBrK4qbGh3V530lFEg

It seems to me they’re battling between having Terry, Jahan & Dyami as the top 3 vs having Terry, Jahan & Zacheus. My guess is the reason Jahan is being moved around & played so much in W1 of the preseason is bc depending on who’s the #3 depends on if Jahan plays outside or slot.

Edited by turtle28

Here’s the thing guys- this team can take chances.  If Bryant shows up, maybe he’s traded for a mid-round pick.  If not, there isn’t a big deal here.  There’s also something to be said for a redemption story.  

Rebuilding teams take these chances on the hopes they pan out.  Sometimes, if the age is right, you get someone who is a good player for a stretch.  Other times, you flip them for an asset or two.  

So yeah, I can go either way on this but we are able to take the chance.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Here’s the thing guys- this team can take chances.  If Bryant shows up, maybe he’s traded for a mid-round pick.  If not, there isn’t a big deal here.  There’s also something to be said for a redemption story.  

Rebuilding teams take these chances on the hopes they pan out.  Sometimes, if the age is right, you get someone who is a good player for a stretch.  Other times, you flip them for an asset or two.  

So yeah, I can go either way on this but we are able to take the chance.  

Who knows, maybe Bryant is our next Kijana Carter! 

I'm not gonna lie.

I kinda hope Martavis Bryant makes the team for a number of reasons.

Now wouldn't it be funny?

If Bryant not only makes the team, but is a major contributer throughout the season & probably making pocket change for a contract?

And the team that drafted him? (Steelers in 4th Rd) End up trading for BA & not only giving away significant draft capital to obtain his services, but pay out the whazoo on his *new* deal.

Obviously, it's a long shot for him not just because he's 32. But with his past? He has no room for mistakes & probably knows he has 1 more chances to get it right. Would love it, if it's with us.

Besides, who doesn't love a good redemption story?

In regards to his football skills? The dude can play!

He seems like he's dropped some weight with a 6'4" frame at 211.

When you have a dude that big & athletic? I don't care if you have Revis Island on him. He's gonna have a chance to come down with the ball.

His size could pay dividends when facing really good teams, with exceptional secondary & big hitters.

I can just see him running that fade route & Jayden throwing a beauty over the top in coverage for a big play. Watching Bryant climb the tower for the catch.

Sure, he's probably most likely camp fodder & he's just auditioning for a 2nd, 3rd or however many chances he's on for someone else.

I'm expecting him to see a lot of field in our last 2 pre season games. Specially, New England. He probably has a simple route tree, since he's new here.

But if he can make the most of it? I think he has a chance. We will see...

But I'm actually rooting for the dude.

It also helps having a guy that big with "hail Mary" balls in the end zone for a prayer.

Hey, I remember watching Plaxico Burris, Megatron, Carmichael, etc.

You can't cover those dudes. Unless your Corner is 6'2" minimum.

St. Juste might have a prayer....not the rest.

It would be a Brilliant move, if it works out.

To basically get the dude for nothing.

Unless you want Tee Higgins for multiple 1sts....lol

Love this signing. Hope it works!

7 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Here is his career highlights. I think he can make this roster.

If you don't? Maybe you should watch this?

I can show you highlights of when I played too, maybe I can make the team...

He is much, much older than the version you shared. He has been out of the NFL for 6 years. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I can show you highlights of when I played too, maybe I can make the team...

He is much, much older than the version you shared. He has been out of the NFL for 6 years. 

It's not like he did anything in his XFL stint either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Here is his career highlights. I think he can make this roster.

If you don't? Maybe you should watch this?

It was hilarious, some guy posted a Bryant highlights from when he was with the Steelers and on their NFL ticker on the bottom it had stats of Kirk Cousins & Pierre Garçon from the Redskins. That’s how long ago Bryant’s highlights were. The highlights were from eight or nine years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It was hilarious, some guy posted a Bryant highlights from when he was with the Steelers and on their NFL ticker on the bottom it had stats of Kirk Cousins & Pierre Garçon from the Redskins. That’s how long ago Bryant’s highlights were. The highlights were from eight or nine years ago. 

I was listening to Kevin Sheehan talking with Jay Gruden on his podcast.

They discussed several topics. The one that I found very interesting was why Gruden believed Martavis Bryant was signed.

Ok...So Washington doesn't have many big/strong WR's. We got that Braylen dude & LMC is 6'2".

But most of our dudes are not that big. 

All 3 of the 49ers are the best blocking WR's in the league. Gruden said ever, actually.

He said, Washington's bread & butter plays are going to be the RPO's, play action from shotgun. (J. Daniels was under center 1 time in 11 plays)The rest Shotgun.

He said, He would 100% trade for BA. Terry is a good blocker. BA is an excellent blocker.

Our little biddy guys are going to be asked to block on many of those Bubble Screens, bootlegs, etc. 

And we simply don't have the horses to do that.

He said most teams have 2 good WR's. 

Washington has 1. 

So that is why we signed 6'4" 32 yr old Martavis Bryant. He's a gifted, big dude who can also block & take the top off a defense.

Now whether he can still play @32?

I don't know. We will have to see. I hope he plays a lot vs Miami. 

Should be interesting.

I’ve been after this team for probably 15 years to not draft/sign a bunch of Smurfs at WR.  It’s about time for them to draft/develop someone with size, and they bring in a dude out of the NFL for six years.  It’s wild.  

When Claypool came out, I really, really wanted him.  Turned out we avoided that disaster, but my point remains.  We need someone with size who isn’t a TE to create matchup problems.