Drake Maye

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

Oh come on, we both know there was more to it than that.

Was it though? Mac's numbers almost the same per game in year two with Patricia as they were his rookie year. And that's with him not playing some of the weaker teams such as Cleveland and Detroit. If you give him Zappe's numbers from those two games, he would have had more yards per game than the year before. And then the Bears game that was a disaster game for Jones he only played a quarter coming of an injury that caused him to miss three games. His INT% in year one and two were the same. 

6 hours ago, jofos said:

Was it though? Mac's numbers almost the same per game in year two with Patricia as they were his rookie year. And that's with him not playing some of the weaker teams such as Cleveland and Detroit. If you give him Zappe's numbers from those two games, he would have had more yards per game than the year before. And then the Bears game that was a disaster game for Jones he only played a quarter coming of an injury that caused him to miss three games. His INT% in year one and two were the same. 

And @Apparition

Brett Kollman did a video on this very topic, titled “this is the worst offense in the NFL”. Last year’s offense.

He basically said it’s everyone’s fault from coaching to support cast to Jones

- we had the OL that let up 3rd most pressures, and it was from everywhere: simple edge beating tackle, blitzes weren’t picked up, stunts worked against us, pressure up middle 

- he said our Receiving Corps, outside of TT, had no juice at all and you can see this from the sidelines, it’s obvious. Asking a WR3 to be our number one, no separation from anyone apart from DD. It’s not Mac’s fault that our weapons are not up to standard

however……..the rest was his fault…

- missing open receivers, not spotting the best place to throw the ball (for example jets safety was pinned one side of field, DD was streaking for a TD if Mac could get him the ball, he threw off his back foot with no pressure and it was inc)

- he just couldn’t take the few chances a game where he did have a clean pocket and/or available options to complete big plays 

OL - sucks

Weapons - suck

Mac Jones - sucked 

Edited by Hunter2_1

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

And @Apparition

Brett Kollman did a video on this very topic, titled “this is the worst offense in the NFL”. Last year’s offense.

He basically said it’s everyone’s fault from coaching to support cast to Jones

- we had the OL that let up 3rd most pressures, and it was from everywhere: simple edge beating tackle, blitzes weren’t picked up, stunts worked against us, pressure up middle 

- he said our Receiving Corps, outside of TT, had no juice at all and you can see this from the sidelines, it’s obvious. Asking a WR3 to be our number one, no separation from anyone apart from DD. It’s not Mac’s fault that our weapons are not up to standard

however……..the rest was his fault…

- missing open receivers, not spotting the best place to throw the ball (for example jets safety was pinned one side of field, DD was streaking for a TD if Mac could get him the ball, he threw off his back foot with no pressure and it was inc)

- he just couldn’t take the few chances a game where he did have a clean pocket and/or available options to complete big plays 

OL - sucks

Weapons - suck

Mac Jones - sucked 

He wasn't making a lot of those mistakes as a rookie. I firmly believe that having shoddy protection shook him to the point that it ruined his ability to process. 
Some of that, yeah, was his fault for being mentally soft. But I also wouldn't want to risk putting a rookie behind that line precisely because he's not as polished as Mac was coming into the league. Drake might have more mental toughness, but he also had notably inconsistent footwork at UNC.

Edited by Apparition

Mac’s arm did hurt him off script, but that’s not the reason he failed. His mechanics fell apart, he started forcing throws, seeing things late, and was never comfortable in the pocket. All that had way more to do with his failure than just his pure arm strength. All the drama with the coaches and terrible playcalling didn’t help either. 

Which opens an interesting discussion about Drake. Because yeah, Mac fell apart, mostly due to horrific pass protection IMO, so that might affirm sitting Maye. But hat degradation in Mac happened after his rookie year, and that’s supposedly with Mac coming in as a more polished, pro ready player. So polish, a pro ready game, a good rookie season - and he still fell apart. So if anyone could fall apart at any time early in their career, it again begs the question, are you just going to look to protect Maye (by sitting him) forever, or are you going to see if he can sink or swim at some point? 

Because I look at Herbert’s OL as a rookie, Allen’s OL as a rookie, Burrow’s OL as a rookie, Goff’s OL as a rookie, and I’m seeing lots of JAGs and not a lot of broken QBs. I’m seeing the OL that Daniels is starting behind. And sure, not all those guys were as raw as Maye (Josh and Herbert definitely were), and some had weapons, but when it comes to OL, I’m not seeing much competency.

Matter of time before we see Maye, I think. Let’s hope things gel before then.

On 8/29/2024 at 10:00 PM, jofos said:

Mac had no chance in hell you can give all the numbers you want but we all know once Bill belichick put fat Matt Patricia as OC he was dead in the water. Forget there's a mental aspect of the game and if you don't have an edge well you don't have confidence your game suffers tremendously been there done that. All the reports out that he wasn't well liked in the locker room I wonder where they came from please this is all I'm saying about Mac he had his faults but he had no shot in hell of doing anything with the Patriots. Matt freaking Patricia give me a break

Tom Brady: "I've gone on record, in my opinion, that I think it's best that young quarterbacks, or rookie quarterbacks, watch a veteran do it. There's so much that goes on and quarterbacks need to process so much information so quickly. I think if you can have someone to learn from — and I sat behind Drew Bledsoe my first year — what a great player he was, someone that I got to watch and learn from. Aaron Rodgers watched behind Brett Favre. Patrick Mahomes watched behind Alex Smith. 

"When you have a real pro in front of you, they can help with that learning curve even though that young quarterback isn't necessarily going out there and losing confidence in what his abilities are."

"Ultimately, those young players are going to get opportunities. The franchises need those young quarterbacks to come in and take a big step and lead that franchise on into the future. I just like to give them a little bit of time to acclimate themselves to the pro game, the pro schedule. It's a big difference between college football and professional football."

Of course, Brady went on to become arguably the best player in NFL history. However, as a sixth-round pick, he didn't carry the expectations entering the league that Maye and the record five other quarterbacks in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft currently hold. Maye, who the Patriots selected with the third overall pick, was also impressive enough in training camp and the preseason for Mayo to say that the rookie had outperformed Brissett despite opting to start the veteran who once backed up Brady.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/why-tom-brady-believes-patriots-made-right-call-jacoby-brissett-drake-maye-decision?fbclid=IwY2xjawFFfqJleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHblxT2W4Rc90juoXMDV-yMUoxvp_oBCkFKp6qCewxqsGh3JCfx0d5AjTng_aem_hOZBZPDv3SZtVFx7sq4F7g

Three rookies are set to start at quarterback this week, but Drake Maye is not one of them.

The Patriots are going with Jacoby Brissett after the veteran outlasted the third overall pick this summer. It wasn’t a surprising outcome given Maye’s limited starting experience in college and the challenges that the overall makeup of the roster in New England will provide any signal caller, but head coach Jerod Mayo added some intrigue to the proceedings when he said Maye had outplayed Brissett in the preseason.

Eliot Wolf: “We do have confidence in Drake. It’s not like we’re just going to let him collect dust for the year. He’s going to be out there in practice taking reps, he’s going to take some reps with the starters, he’s going to take some reps on the scout team and continue to progress and develop in that regard.”

Wolf said the issue of whether Maye’s development continues in game action is one that will be impacted by how Brissett and the Patriots fare on the field. Expectations are low on that front as the Patriots are generally predicted to be one of the league’s worst teams, but it’s unclear how bad things will have to be for the Patriots to make the change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/eliot-wolf-were-not-going-to-let-drake-maye-collect-dust-for-the-season

On 9/6/2024 at 11:40 AM, vike daddy said:

Three rookies are set to start at quarterback this week, but Drake Maye is not one of them.

The Patriots are going with Jacoby Brissett after the veteran outlasted the third overall pick this summer. It wasn’t a surprising outcome given Maye’s limited starting experience in college and the challenges that the overall makeup of the roster in New England will provide any signal caller, but head coach Jerod Mayo added some intrigue to the proceedings when he said Maye had outplayed Brissett in the preseason.

Eliot Wolf: “We do have confidence in Drake. It’s not like we’re just going to let him collect dust for the year. He’s going to be out there in practice taking reps, he’s going to take some reps with the starters, he’s going to take some reps on the scout team and continue to progress and develop in that regard.”

Wolf said the issue of whether Maye’s development continues in game action is one that will be impacted by how Brissett and the Patriots fare on the field. Expectations are low on that front as the Patriots are generally predicted to be one of the league’s worst teams, but it’s unclear how bad things will have to be for the Patriots to make the change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/eliot-wolf-were-not-going-to-let-drake-maye-collect-dust-for-the-season

Just throwing it out there Uwer for Texas is killing Michigan.

I wonder what would be the best move trade the third pick and take Uwer in25!!!!!!😁😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Just throwing it out there Uwer for Texas is killing Michigan.

I wonder what would be the best move trade the third pick and take Uwer in25!!!!!!😁😁

Didn’t you dislike Ewer as a prospect this year? I can’t remember, could be thinking of someone else.

On 9/6/2024 at 4:40 PM, vike daddy said:

He can’t just come out and say the truth. He’s being diplomatic with all these interviews. 

The real answer is what @Soko ‘s meme portrayed. Brissett is out there taking damage so Maye doesn’t have to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Soko said:

Didn’t you dislike Ewer as a prospect this year? I can’t remember, could be thinking of someone else.

Heck no.  I thought he was/is a franchise QB.   I love his game. 

That's why I wanted the trade in 24.  It was based on the Bucky's fool having him going at the end of the top 10 picks. Flick of the wrist its 70 yard with his touch underneath impressive as well and he can move.

My vision before the draft. Trade with Vikings (make it work) take Alt or Nabers or trade down again. Than take Amarius Mims.

I would trade down every time til the 20/25th pick.  Work the board.  EX end up with Morgan and  Worthy/ Xavier Legette and a ton of extra picks.

I am 99.9% sure they get the 1st pick in 2025. Worse case scenario Carson Beck.

Note I wanted Spencer Rattler in the 3rd rd in the worse way.

Idiot  GM's let him go til the 5th RD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also so far I was wrong about Maye making it, but remember he' only did it in preseason.   Lets see if his faults show in the regular season.

Edited by m haynes

Jerod Mayo:  “It’s not a secret, we have a quarterback in the wings that needs to continue to develop. Normally, I would say the starter gets, let’s say, 95 percent of the reps and the backup doesn’t. With this, it’s a little bit different. We had a conversation, how do we — I guess the struggle is, how do you get your starting quarterback prepared for the game and also continue to develop the guy in the background, which is Drake?"

"So, it is like a 70-30 split [of reps]. We’re very thoughtful. When we talk about how we have a development plan for Drake, that’s part of it. I try not to get too deep into what that plan actually looks like, but Maye still takes reps with the starters. He does a good job on the scout team as well. He’s doing a good job, and you can see his confidence continuing to grow.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-first-team-reps-are-being-split-70-30-between-jacoby-brissett-and-drake-maye