Drake Maye

22 hours ago, m haynes said:

Key issue HOF coaching to current. Major difference to what we are looking at today.  Again it unique situation. 

Like I mentioned I agree with TB but there are cases that don 't fit and this is one of them.

You have to have faith in the staff and at this time I don't.

Kraft ----- I questioned his moves

Wolf ----   Failed to fix a huge/major problem OL. The effort he put in and the results are mind blowing. WR FA is also head scratching with 50 mil still on the books. Ya I heard all the excuses (media) they tried... BS. We both know, they WRs  look at their salary as a Golf handicap compare to the others. They should of over paid irf they had to.   That would of been a great learning tool for the rookie QB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁

Mayo ----  Based on team needs this was a awful signing. I could care less about a deal or the 10 million, that just a excuse.

OC ----  I have no issue like most however you have to questioned how they got there. He was the last for a lack of a better phrase " last choice"

Unique situation

Here is a example of a mess we have ---  Dotson  was traded and where were the Patriots ???????  I don't want to argue how good or bad he is but Pats needed WRs and the Eagles thought enough of  Dotson to trade a  3rd RD pick.  Take a look at the WR they drafted and signed. I will take their scouting staff  over the Pats.

Who in there right mind would not take him over Thornton. Baker, Bouttie.  Dotson is on a rookie contract for 2 more years.

The Pats were not even in the conversation ( heard it on the radio)  and they had two 3rd PICKS. 

You could of been looking at possible WR group

Calvin Ridley  ------  $92,000,000   Beat the price, over pay, They had the money, change the group once and for all, not this trash they still have AS A GROUP. This guy lost a year in pay, he an ego WR.  He would of taken the cash!!!!! I heard the Pats had the best offer... BS he's on the Jags and the Pats still have today 50 million cap !!!! No excuses the team stinks. You have to be aggressive or you stay the Pats one of the worse team in the NFL.

Jahan Dotson  ----- trade 3rd pick

Ja'Lynn Polk

DeMario Douglas

I have seen this before fans have high exceptions than the management doesn't come through in the end.  They nickel and dime, bring in scrubs (OL) to do the job and miss out on signing players or letting them go for money.  Frigging Mike Haynes ( greatest CB of all time) was traded because they were cheap bastard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last you give Dugger 14M ??????? but won't over pay for Ridley !!!!!!!  Remember (compare) Peppers was signed of 8M !!!!!

Lets see, a box safety with average cover skills or a number 1 WR for a rookie QB !!!  I forgot he's a core player a team leader, that worth an extra buck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry a little off the subject matter. 😜😁

I agree with your wider point, this team never does enough to bring in talent, especially WR. Never has (well apart from that one year when ya know we had the greatest offense in history). 

It would have been fantastic to give Mac Jones someone like D-Hop. It would be fantastic to give Maye something like you’ve described above. 

Our WR corps has a lot of names, but they’re all WR3 or 4s aren’t they. How far down Cinci/Phillie/Houston/SF/Miami’s WR depth chart would you need to go before you slot in Kendrick Bourne or Demorio Douglas? Lol!

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I agree with your wider point, this team never does enough to bring in talent, especially WR. Never has (well apart from that one year when ya know we had the greatest offense in history). 

It would have been fantastic to give Mac Jones someone like D-Hop. It would be fantastic to give Maye something like you’ve described above. 

Our WR corps has a lot of names, but they’re all WR3 or 4s aren’t they. How far down Cinci/Phillie/Houston/SF/Miami’s WR depth chart would you need to go before you slot in Kendrick Bourne or Demorio Douglas? Lol!

Spot on.   This is my big concern. Kraft grew up on TB and BB. Especially BB who manage the cap like it was his last nickel. Is Kraft still doing this, it would seem so. That if you believe the media. Signing coaches still under contract was brought up several times.

Losing out on FA while still having 50+ left on the cap. I love the response we offered the biggest contract leaving off many of the details.  You can be cheap when your really good however that's not going to work  now when you go after FA.

Remember we kept hearing that the cap was maxed out and BB was spending? Well I look at the Chiefs and Miami and other teams and ask... How the heck can they do that or pay that and still be within the cap.  KC offense is loaded with cash on the offense side and they pay Jones as well.  How compare to the Pats ... are they working under the same cap rules ? I was sure they would lose Jones, PO-ed when they signed him, how, what the fudge !!!!! Funny but somehow we had to let Joe Thuney go !!!

Brady this Brady that took hits on his contract for the better of the team. My question is he still doing that !!!!!!

This post is not a start on how or why about the cap and how it works. It the eyes test and what I see happening with different teams.

Big mouth Felger is always screaming the cap is bull crap and the Pat manipulate the fans into believing they are limited what they do. It sure seem it to me. 

Pats....  Oh shucks we just missed out on D-Hop and Ridley !!!!!!!  BS

Hey I know lets not spend all the cap money. Let save it till we need that player, that will take us over the top (playoffs).  

Hey let's draft a QB and forget about protecting him or miss out on the top available WR. You know the one that said his girlfriend didn't want to come to the Pats !  Well if I owned the Pats I would of ask her , would an extra 2 mil bonus money help!

I can hear them now , no were good, we love Jags-ville !

I’m not blindly the FO here, but they were paying top of market for Ridley - something plenty people weren’t happy with because they didn’t see Ridley as a WR1. He chose not to come here. They had a mega deal tee’d up for Aiyuk, again something many weren’t happy with, and he chose to go somewhere else. They called on Higgins, and while that didn’t materialize…it’s not like Higgins is getting moved somewhere else for cheap. If they landed these guys, the song wouldn’t be “they didn’t do enough”, it would be “they overpaid for these non-elite players” lol. 

I don’t think they did “enough” this offseason. But I think some people have a warped view on how quickly these things turn around, and just how many FAs are expected to be brought in. And not to compare this staff to the elite ones out there, but it’s not like Roseman or Veach or Lynch don’t have holes on the roster. I just don’t think it’s entirely realistic to expect a team, in one offseason, to fill all their holes and sign everybody that the fans want them to.

I’ve brought this up about the tackle position specifically, there was maybe one available tackle that fit with what this team was doing (Jonah Williams) and even he wasn’t this slam dunk player. Only one out of 31 teams was going to land him. Ditto about the WR position. The team went big fish hunting and came back empty handed, not by lack of effort. If they go tackle in R2 (which would’ve been a mistake IMO, the Day 2 tackles were a lot worse than the Day 2 WRs) then the new song is “how can you not get the team any receivers”. 

25 minutes ago, Soko said:

people weren’t happy with because they didn’t see Ridley as a WR1.

In general who cares what they think. You need to build this team for Maye. Overpay could care less. Money would of got him here. I firmly believe that. We see this all the time,  excuses why they (all teams) didn't get him. It's all about the money.

29 minutes ago, Soko said:

mega deal tee’d up for Aiyuk, again something many weren’t happy

I agree with them. Pats need multiple players there is no way in heck I give up draft picks for one player with this current roster. That's bad management.  Ex 2nd RD 33rd pick. Valuable asset that could fill a major need or use as a trade piece.  You could move into the 1st  or trade down slightly and get additional picks. 

Lets use this draft. Dallas traded up for Guyton for a 1st (29th pick) and a 3rd. Let say,  Pats traded 33 and a 3rd ( much higher value than Dallas 3rd. ) for the pick. Just example, you don't lose much for a major need.  Now you have the opportunity to work the board in 2025. Trade down get a top WR and maybe a top OT.  Some one will want a QB.  I don't care what they are saying about the 2025 class, they know crap. look at Penex and McCarty who wasn't a top pick until his coach praised him.

52 minutes ago, Soko said:

some people have a warped view on how quickly these things turn around,

Ha Ha Ha  Your not kidding !!!!  They are starting from scratch this will take at least 4/5 years. They can speed it up but they need a grand slam to make that happen. Let call it the Plunkett miracle !!!!! Fairbanks robbed SF.

59 minutes ago, Soko said:

Day 2 tackles were a lot worse than the Day 2 WRs

Yup and it amazes me that teams and fans don't see this.  You know how I feel,  give me a elite LT over any WR if I'm picking at the top of the draft. List of the top picks since 2000.  Just one LT compared to a boat load WR.  Take the LT !!!!!!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/nfl-draft-ranking-10-best-second-round-picks-since-2000/p1vvsyaiwy731l4yysoromr3e

Get  WR...  Pats learn how to scout ! 😁

I’m not saying they have to please everyone. I’m saying it’s pretty much a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario for the FO when it came to OT/WR this offseason. OL in particular wasn’t addressed to the extent that it needed to be. But I think it’s way too big of a simplification to just say “well they just should’ve addressed it” without looking into exactly how they tried to/who was available. They swung on Ridley, and sure you could say “just overpay him” but that’s how you ruin things going forward. Jacksonville has him for a year, they let him go for nothing, then signed a WR in FA and drafted one in the first round - what does that tell you? They swung on Aiyuk. They swung on Higgins. What’re they supposed to do, lol. I’d rather run with Polk/Douglas as the future WRs than overpay a significant amount.

With the full benefit of hindsight, I wish the team filled in RB2, TE2, and OG more thoroughly. The run game’s going to be relied upon, and while I think Gibson is alright, I’d have preferred a more dynamic player, especially given Stevenson’s usage problems in the past. TE2, similar issue with Henry getting dinged up, Hooper’s probably a backup caliber TE but it’d be better to have a player that could legitimately fill Henry’s role to a lesser extent should he miss time. And then OG - Strange was going to miss time, you still have Sow (just went down), and Onwenu who was supposed to be signed as a tackle. Another guard would’ve let him stay there permanently and let the team run with 4/5 solid starters instead of 2 or 3 out of 5. 

After the Patriots wrapped up their preseason on Sunday night, head coach Jerod Mayo called Drake Maye the second-best quarterback on the roster, but did not name Jacoby Brissett the team’s starter at the position.

Brissett hurt his right shoulder during the game against the Commanders and an injury would obviously factor into any decision. Mayo said on Sunday that Brissett would have been able to continue playing had it been the regular season, but he said on The Greg Hill Show on Monday that Brissett could report something different about his condition upon returning to the team facility.

Mayo also said that Maye outplayed Brissett in the preseason, which is another factor in the mix in New England.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-drake-maye-outplayed-jacoby-brissett-but-have-to-look-at-everything

Mayo’s referenced this in the past, as far as “operating the offense”, guessing that means running hurry up, pre-snap reads, adjusting protections, etc. Maye’s ability obviously extends beyond Jacoby’s, but between the shotty OL play + these possible hang ups with running the offense, I get why why they’re hesitant to throw Maye out there and let him play backyard football in Week 1. We read and keep up with progress as much as we can, but we probably legitimately find out 10% of what’s actually going on. 

There’s gonna be disappointment if Brissett gets the nod - I still think we should see Maye early - but I get it. At least for Week 1.

18 hours ago, Soko said:

I’m not blindly the FO here, but they were paying top of market for Ridley - something plenty people weren’t happy with because they didn’t see Ridley as a WR1. He chose not to come here. They had a mega deal tee’d up for Aiyuk, again something many weren’t happy with, and he chose to go somewhere else. They called on Higgins, and while that didn’t materialize…it’s not like Higgins is getting moved somewhere else for cheap. If they landed these guys, the song wouldn’t be “they didn’t do enough”, it would be “they overpaid for these non-elite players” lol. 

I don’t think they did “enough” this offseason. But I think some people have a warped view on how quickly these things turn around, and just how many FAs are expected to be brought in. And not to compare this staff to the elite ones out there, but it’s not like Roseman or Veach or Lynch don’t have holes on the roster. I just don’t think it’s entirely realistic to expect a team, in one offseason, to fill all their holes and sign everybody that the fans want them to.

I’ve brought this up about the tackle position specifically, there was maybe one available tackle that fit with what this team was doing (Jonah Williams) and even he wasn’t this slam dunk player. Only one out of 31 teams was going to land him. Ditto about the WR position. The team went big fish hunting and came back empty handed, not by lack of effort. If they go tackle in R2 (which would’ve been a mistake IMO, the Day 2 tackles were a lot worse than the Day 2 WRs) then the new song is “how can you not get the team any receivers”. 

All that is fair. But I don’t think it’s a one window thing, I think there’s been gross neglect for years in certain positions. And now we are reaping. Sketchy drafting is involved in that too, and I’m reluctant to pin any of that on this current regime. I didn’t like the OL drafting, but for a first go, I liked our draft overall. 

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

All that is fair. But I don’t think it’s a one window thing, I think there’s been gross neglect for years in certain positions. And now we are reaping. Sketchy drafting is involved in that too, and I’m reluctant to pin any of that on this current regime. I didn’t like the OL drafting, but for a first go, I liked our draft overall. 

Oh, if we’re stretching this back then there’s absolutely negligence at some of these positions. No possible room for disagreement there. 

I just view this FO as more of an individual group than “the Patriots” as a monolith. Kraft obviously had feelings when it comes to Tom, but he’s pretty hands off in terms of acquisitions/the draft. Groh and, I’m assuming, a handful/most of the scouts are still around too, I guess. But it’s new voices, new guys in charge. Remember that story where the scouts wanted AJ Brown and Belichick overruled them for N’Keal Harry (which tbf, I liked Harry as a prospect)? 

My comment was more geared towards the criticism towards Wolf/the current group of guys. As a whole, there’s been years of mismanagement to get here, but the new staff has to clean it up. 

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We’ll see Maye start in the not too distant future. It’s all set up for Brissett to struggle 

If Brissett struggles, what's the benefit to throwing Maye into the fire? He's not going to grow behind that OL.

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

If Brissett struggles, what's the benefit to throwing Maye into the fire? He's not going to grow behind that OL.

Brissett’s a statue. The OL is really bad, but putting Maye in is going to slow the pass rush down alone. There’s a reason Lamar’s consistently throwing with high efficiency, and it isn’t because he’s a pinpoint passer. Legs slow down the rush and change the coverages.

• Like 1