What different defenses could we run with our “position flex?”

I am very excited about the different looks and “position flex” 😂 Peters & Quin have built in this front 7 & with the safeties we've kept.

1.  I think we may actually run a lot of 3 DTs on run-downs with Dorrance Armstrong as the only DE. I think that's why they took Newton. Allen or Newton will play LDE, Payne at NT, then Allen or Newton at RDT & Dorrance Armstrong at RDE in a wide 9 stance.

The LBs on rundowns will be Jamin, Wagner & Luvu.

Our base outside CBs will be Sainristil at one spot with Davis or St. Juste opposite him.

Our safeties will be Chinn (SS) & Martin (FS)

RDE: Armstrong 

DT: Allen

NT: Payne

LDE: Newton

SLB: Luvu

MLB: Wagner

WLB: Jamin

RCB: Sainristil

LCB: St. Juste or Davis

SS: Chinn

FS: Martin

2. On definite passing downs we will deploy multiple looks to confuse QBs and offensive coordinators. I think Chinn will play in the box in these looks, with a rotation of the DTs, and a rotation of our DEs/OLBs rushing the passer. Forbes or St Juste/Davis will come in the game as the other outside CB. Then obviously Sainristil will slide from outside CB where he starts the game to slot CB. Butler or Forrest will then come into the game as the SS for this formation.

RDE: Armstrong 

DT: Allen

NT: Payne

LEO/Wide 9: Ferrell, Fowler & Jamin rotate

OLB: Luvu/Chinn depending on if Luvu is rotating down to rush the passer

MLB: Wagner

SS: Chinn/Forrest depending on if Luvu is rotating down to rush the passer

RCB: Davis or Forbes 

LCB: St. Juste or Forbes

Slot: Sainristill

FS: Martin

3. The only DE we have that may get double-digit sacks is Armstrong but I don't think even he will get 10 plus, I think he’ll get close with 8 or 9.  We will deploy a rotation of DEs/OLBs who will rush the passer in waves as a committee. Guys like Ferrell, Fowler, Jamin & Luvu will rotate opposite Armstrong and give him a rest every once in a while throughout the game.

Edited by turtle28

Oh I think you’re going to see a bunch of heavy fronts with John Payne and Newton. The DB’s with Mikey and Martin and Chinn along with different safeties I’m comfortable with too. I’m very curious to see the edges LB usage. And as far as CB goes outside of Mikey I’m very nervous

• Like 1

This team is being built defensively to stop the run & cause turnovers & I love it.

I think most of our sacks will come from our LBers because we are going to bring creative blitzes to punish QB's & RB's.

On Offense?

I think we're going to try to drop a 50 burger on everyone we play.

We're not having the mentality of "Well, let's keep it close to the end. Play conservative & maybe sneak out a win with a last possession"

Nope.

We want to kick the crap out of everyone we play so bad, that we instill fear of every opponent watching.

It's psychological.

When teams play the 49ers or Chiefs?

The game is over, before it ever begins.

It's why they are in the Championship every single year.

That's what we're building here & it's about damn time.

And I love it!

On 8/29/2024 at 5:47 AM, ripsean21 said:

Oh I think you’re going to see a bunch of heavy fronts with John Payne and Newton.

To me, this would be comparable to what they kept calling the “5-2” last year, even though it was basically just a 3-4 with Chase and Tez standing up.

Those 3 would be the DL, and then you’d essentially have Jamin and (probably) Fowler standing up as potential pass-rushers or options to drop into a shallow zone. Then you’d have Wagner and Luvu as the typical ILBs.

One twist I’d love to see on that is kicking Luvu up onto the LOS in a formation like that and using Chinn or even Sainristil as the second “ILB.” That puts a ton of speed and skill on the field at once. Luvu is a really good pass-rusher for a LB, so that would be a nice way to highlight his skillset in a particular package.

One thing that I think will become more obvious as time goes on is that most of the defensive packages are going to hinge on Sainristil. I think he’s that good, and that much better than the rest of the secondary, that they’re going to build a lot of things outward from him — assume he’s on the field, and then assemble from there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, e16bball said:

To me, this would be comparable to what they kept calling the “5-2” last year, even though it was basically just a 3-4 with Chase and Tez standing up.

Those 3 would be the DL, and then you’d essentially have Jamin and (probably) Fowler standing up as potential pass-rushers or options to drop into a shallow zone. Then you’d have Wagner and Luvu as the typical ILBs.

One twist I’d love to see on that is kicking Luvu up onto the LOS in a formation like that and using Chinn or even Sainristil as the second “ILB.” That puts a ton of speed and skill on the field at once. Luvu is a really good pass-rusher for a LB, so that would be a nice way to highlight his skillset in a particular package.

One thing that I think will become more obvious as time goes on is that most of the defensive packages are going to hinge on Sainristil. I think he’s that good, and that much better than the rest of the secondary, that they’re going to build a lot of things outward from him — assume he’s on the field, and then assemble from there.

I agree about Saintistil.

I definitely agree about Luvu & that on some downs we could run a 3-4/5-2 D with Jamin and Armstrong or Fowler as the stand-up DEs/OLBs.

I think Chinn will play OLB more than people realize, when he was signed John Keim reported that. He's essentially replacing what Curl did for us from 2020-2023.

With that being the case it means that Butler or Forrest will play a lot at SS too, either as a true SS or as 2 high taking half of the field while Martin takes the other half. That remains to be seen.

Edited by turtle28