Week 3 GDT: Texans (-3) @ Vikings

lumberjackchris

Welcome to Week 3

Columbus Ohio Cmh GIF by John Glenn Columbus International Airport

Texans hit the road this week traveling to Minnesota to take on the 2-0 Vikings. Minny is coming off an impressive win at home vs the 49ers, and are riding high. 

Minnesota Vikings GIF by KARE 11

Texans SWARM into town at 2-0 after their win on SNF where it took contributions from all 3 phases of the game to win against a tough Chicago D.

Justin Reid Nfl GIF by Houston Texans 

Vikes are led on offense by backup QB Sam Darnold, WR Justin Jefferson(who left Sundays game with a thigh bruise) and RB tandem Aaron Jones and Ty Chandler.

On Defense we will get to see 2 former Texans leading the way in LB Blake Cashman who leads the team in tackles through 2 weeks, and Edge Jonathan Greenard.

Jefferson Griddy GIF by Minnesota Vikings

Texans defense has been SWARMING all over opponents, this week should be no different. While Sam Darnold is a solid NFL, WAJ, Hunter, and Co should make life a living H#$L

Danielle Hunter Sport GIF by Minnesota Vikings

I look for Edge Danielle Hunter to have a big game in his Homecoming. 

On offense for the Texans, it's all about health. Starting C Juice Sruggs missed last week with a hammy injury, and his absence was well noticed. Adding to that, starting RB Joe Mixon is set to get a MRI today on his ankle after a banned hip drop tackle this past weekend. If both are out, look for OC Bobby Slowik to setup the run with the pass game, with shorter to intermediate routes. 

Stefon Diggs Pout GIF by Minnesota Vikings

Keep an eye on Mr. Diggs in his homecoming to have a big game underneath.

Prediction: Texans (-3) clean it up on offense and continue to SWARM on defense for a 23-14 win on the road in Minny to move to 3-0.

• Like 1

Stingley Jr. locked up Justin Jefferson in practice at LSU.  He will do it again!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to this game.  I doubt we will blitz like crazy on Darnold like we did Caleb Williams.  He is 9 for 10 when blitzed for 3 TDs, 0 INTs so far this season.   If Jefferson doesnt play I fully expect us to shut down their run game.   I think if we played them at home it would be a double digit win.  Vikings will make it close at their place, but we win by at least 6 points.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Stingley Jr. locked up Justin Jefferson in practice at LSU.  He will do it again!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to this game.  I doubt we will blitz like crazy on Darnold like we did Caleb Williams.  He is 9 for 10 when blitzed for 3 TDs, 0 INTs so far this season.   If Jefferson doesnt play I fully expect us to shut down their run game.   I think if we played them at home it would be a double digit win.  Vikings will make it close at their place, but we win by at least 6 points.

We don't put Stingley on the best WR though. If the Vikings are smart, they will move Jefferson over to Lassiter's side and we will see what happens. Jefferson is a 4.43 guy and Lassiter is a 4.58 guy. We will have to help over the top. 

Darnold has been really good this year, but he is not a really good QB. He is being coached up by those guys and its a beautiful coaching job. If jefferson for some reason cant go, its gonna be a huge turn of events for the Texans. 

Here is the single most terrifying stat out there: Vikings are number 1 in the league with 11 sacks through 2 games. Stroud has been sacked 7 times. Thats tied for the 5th most in the league. Our offensive line, outside of Tunsil, is not a good pass blocking unit. I am scared for Stroud's safety in this one. 

The vikings have been pretty decent on defense. 18th in yards, 25th in passing yards, and 8th in rush yards. It bolds well for us considering we probably wont have our top 2 running backs anyway. Points though the vikings have been lights out, currently at 3rd in the league. They did play the Giants who are terrible, but they also shut down the 49ers....who are missing some key guys, but still its been impressive. 

I dont know what to think about this one. We havent started 3-0 since 2012, and that was the only time in franchise history we have done that! 

I think the Vikings have a good chance in this one, but I am taking the Texas 24-21

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We don't put Stingley on the best WR though. If the Vikings are smart, they will move Jefferson over to Lassiter's side and we will see what happens. Jefferson is a 4.43 guy and Lassiter is a 4.58 guy. We will have to help over the top. 

Stingley Jr.  was on DJ Moore last night. 

Head coach Kevin O’Connell gave an update on Jefferson’s condition during his Monday press conference and the word continues to be good about Jefferson’s chances of playing against the Texans in Week Three.

O’Connell:  “Justin did come in today feeling pretty good, which was a positive based upon the initial quad contusion that kinda happened on that run play. We’ll be day-to-day with Justin. We’ll keep you guys posted throughout the week on his workload and what it looks like for Sunday, but pretty positive in the early returns there.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-oconnell-justin-jefferson-came-in-feeling-pretty-good-monday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Darnold has been really good this year, but he is not a really good QB. He is being coached up by those guys and its a beautiful coaching job. If jefferson for some reason cant go, its gonna be a huge turn of events for the Texans. 

Here is the single most terrifying stat out there: Vikings are number 1 in the league with 11 sacks through 2 games. Stroud has been sacked 7 times. Thats tied for the 5th most in the league. Our offensive line, outside of Tunsil, is not a good pass blocking unit. I am scared for Stroud's safety in this one. 

The vikings have been pretty decent on defense. 18th in yards, 25th in passing yards, and 8th in rush yards. It bolds well for us considering we probably wont have our top 2 running backs anyway. Points though the vikings have been lights out, currently at 3rd in the league. They did play the Giants who are terrible, but they also shut down the 49ers....who are missing some key guys, but still its been impressive. 

I dont know what to think about this one. We havent started 3-0 since 2012, and that was the only time in franchise history we have done that! 

I think the Vikings have a good chance in this one, but I am taking the Texas 24-21

Vikes stats are inflated from playing the Daniel Jones led Giants week 1

Edited by lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Stroud has been sacked 7 times. Thats tied for the 5th most in the league. Our offensive line, outside of Tunsil, is not a good pass blocking unit. I am scared for Stroud's safety in this one. 

are they "true" sacks, in that they're for lots of negative yards? or does Stroud run forward looking for a receiver and is "sacked" for a 2 yard loss?

but yes, Flores can send a sack from any single player we line up.

Love the confidence guys. Last season was a breakout year for you guys. If the 49ers steamrolled us yesterday then I would have expected a loss. But genuinely see this game as a toss up. Plus it will help after yesterdays win that more Vikings fans will decide to turn up instead of selling their seats to 9ers fans. So should feel like an actual home game.

Expecting Hunter and Diggs to be fired up. Should be a good matchup between our Tackles and your ends. Darrisaw and O'Neill are studs, but so are Anderson and Hunter.

Here's hoping for a good injury free game. I would have bitten your hand off for a 2-1 start nevermind a potential 3-0 start.

Thankfully JJ's injury isn't serious and he should be ready to go Sunday.

May the best team win 👍.

Edited by Scottish_Viking
  • Like 2

Steve Palazzolo @StevePalazzolo_

Most pressures through two weeks:

Aidan Hutchinson 17
Boye Mafe 15
Micah Parsons 14
Zach Allen 13
Chris Jones 13
Jonathan Greenard 12
Yaya Diaby 12 
Trey Hendrickson 12

-------------------------------------

PFF MIN Vikings @PFF_Vikings

The highest-graded Vikings in Week 2 vs the 49ers:

Pat Jones II - 88.6
Garrett Bradbury - 84.4
Blake Cashman - 80.9
Justin Jefferson - 79.8
Christian Darrisaw - 78.1

(min. 25 snaps)

Edited by vike daddy

If im not mistaken I think i read that the Texans brought pressure on 36 of 37 pass attempts against the Bears. We know Hunter and WAJ are nightmares for opposing tackles but Mario Edwards Jr and Fatukasi have been eating these last 2 games. With To'oTo'o and Azeez this front 7 is really causing havoc and this is without Christain Harris or Denico Autry. We could really have ourselves a potent defense come playoff push time.

Ben Goessling @BenGoessling

Brian Flores said today he first learned about Blake Cashman from former Minnesota Gophers linebackers coach Mike Sherels, whose daughter had become friends with Flores’ daughter from school in Eden Prairie.

“This was October, November of last year; we ended up hanging out together with the daughters,” Flores said. “He’s like, ‘You know, Blake Cashman, I had him at the U. He was the best guy we had.’

I didn’t know much about Blake at that point. That’s when I turned on the tape, and he was right.” He filed it away, “but it’s such a random conversation,” Flores said. He did some research, and found out Cashman would be a free agent, but didn’t know if the Texans would re-sign him.

When the Vikings had a chance to bring Cashman back to Minnesota, Flores recalled what Sherels told him. “That happens,” Flores said. “You have a conversation with somebody, you don’t know somebody all that well, but it’s someone who has no agenda — just a former coach that knows him personally, speaks highly of him. You look him up, and there he is.”

• Like 1