Week 4 GDT: Jaguars (0-3) at Texans (2-1)

Texansfan713

Jags vs Texans | O.E.A.

Sunday September 29th, 2024

1 2 noon

CBS

Line:  Texans -6

Overview:   Both teams who were projected to be at the top of the AFC South are coming off losses week three. For the Jaguars, their offense hasn't been as good as people would have thought three weeks in.  A bigger issue is that they aren't converting on third downs.  They have won of the lowest third down conversion percentages in the league this season. When you can't convert third downs on offense it puts more pressure on your defense because the offense can't stay on the field.  Also Trevor Lawrence hasn't been good as advertised since he signed that mega extension in 2024.   For the Texans, the offensive line has been causing issues among other things. CJ Stroud is on pace to be sacked 55 times this season.  Given the investments on the OL, it has too much talent to be this bad.  That's not even mentioning the amount of false starts (Laremy Tunsil) has done.  

Prediction:  I expect a bounce back game from the Texans.  The Jags will play with a sense of urgency because they can't afford to go 0-4, but I think the Texans offense will play much better.  Tyson Campbell being out a while is going to hurt the Jags. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if we see multiple 100 yard receivers this game on the Texans end.  

Texans:  30

Jaguars:  17

• Like 2

I hate playing teams right after they get rocked and are in need of a wake up call -- I feel like they always go poorly. This being a home game makes me feel better though, but I don't think Trevor Lawrence will continue to look as bad as he looked through last night, so hopefully it's not a get right game for him. 

I think this is a big week for Slowik -- he's a smart guy, but can get in his own way by just overcomplicating and doing the most unnecessary things sometimes  (like lining up Cade Stover to block Greenard one-on-one multiple times last week). I feel like this happened throughout last season too, where every now and then he goes away from what was working well, so I hope he just gets back to the basics this game. Get the ball into his playmakers hands quickly and let them go to work.

We cant get any worse than we were last week. If we play like that, this will be a tough match up and we might lose. If we can finally get to playing our best football, then we could throttle the Jags and send them into a complete tailspin. 

This is a big game because next week Josh Allen is gonna light us up like a Christmas tree. I dont see anyway we can beat the Bills unless its 45-38 or something crazy and I am not sure that Slowick can score that many points. 

lets not forget in that playoff run last year, we failed to score 30 points in 9 of the last 10 games. The one we did was the playoff game against the browns and 14 of those points were on defense. 

just 5 times in 22 games under Slowick have we scored 30 or more. 

The Vikings game reminded me of the Jets game we lost 30-6 last year. A game we should have won, but refused to even show up. Hopefully that is out of our system. 

10 times in 22 games under slowick we have scored 20 or fewer points going 3-6 in those games. 

Last year we let the Jags beat us at home in a big game.....and the stat of that game......we sacked Trevor ZERO times. So far through 3 games, we are 5th in the league in sacks. We have to keep that up. The most effective defense we have ran all year has been our dime package with Al Shaair blitzing as a 5th rusher. 

PFF actually loves our rookies. They have Lassiter ranked 9th (even though they think he plays for the Rams) and they have Bullock at 15. They claim Lassiter has only allowed 4 receptions and that Bullock hasn't missed a single tackle. If those two guys are long term starters alongside Stingley.....we will be in buisness. We can address the other safety spot and keep Pitre at his hybrid position hes been playing, kind of that 4-2-5 Rover position, part linebacker, part slot, part safety. 

All the obituaries about the Jags and about Trevor Lawrence have me extremely nervous about Sunday. When have we ever been the team to put the final nail in a coffin for anyone?

If we were 3-0 going into this game, I would say 100% we are due for a letdown, but since we just got thrashed, I think we might have the fire we need to avoid a let down. 

on the surface it looks so bad for the Jags. 30th in points for and 28th in points allowed. Missing Oluokun who has been one of the best linebackers in the league this year according to pff. 

they only have 5 sacks in 3 games. They have given up 11. Sure we have given up 12, but at least we have gotten 13. Net sack rating is a very underrated stat in football

but having said all that, our offense has been on struggle bus city too. We have only scored 5 TDs in our first 3 games. And we are sitting at 21st in points per game and 23rd in points allowed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

we looked like we are fighting for the number 1 pick against the Vikings. 

And we looked like that vs the Ravens last year. Just cause we're not Super Bowl contenders this year, doesn't mean we suck. Some teams are just bad matchups for others. We're still easily a top 10 team in the league and the Jags are a bottom 10 team. And if I were a betting man, Stroud and Co will get the offense right sooner than later. 

• Like 1