BDL 2024 Week 6: Anchorage Aliens @ Cancun Kaiju

RedGold

Who wins?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Anchorage Aliens
    • Cancun Kaiju

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 10/17/2024 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2024 Week  6

Match:  Anchorage Aliens @ Cancun Kaiju

Away Owner:   @Scoundrel 

Home Owner:   @Blue @MWil23

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Anchorage

Offense:

QB- Joe Burrow 
RB- Tyler Allgeier
WR- Jaxon Smith-Njigba  
WR- Rome Odunze 
TE- Brock Bowers 
TE- David Njoku 
LT- Andrew Thomas 
LG- Graham Glasgow 
C- Frank Ragnow
RG- Blake Brandel   
RT- Spencer Brown 

Bench:
RB- Tyjae Spears
RB- Roschon Johnson 
RB- Kendre Miller
WR- Tre Tucker
WR- Tim Patrick 
TE- Ben Sinnott 
OT- Amarius Mims
OL- Jamaree Salyer 

Defense:

Edge- Jonathon Cooper       
DT- Vita Vea
DT- Jordan Davis 
Edge- Aidan Hutchinson  
MLB- Micah McFadden 
SLB- Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
CB- Patrick Surtain ll
CB- Sauce Gardner 
Star- Javon Bullard 
FS- Jessie Bates lll
SS- Kerby Joseph  

Bench: 
Edge- Patrick Jones ll 
Edge- Leonard Floyd  
DT- Levi Onwuzurike 
DT- Poona Ford
LB- Kenneth Murray Jr 
CB- Christian Gonzalez 
CB- Derek Stingley Jr  

CB- Paulson Adebo

Cancun

QB Patrick Mahomes
RB Aaron Jones
WR DK Metcalf
TE Hunter Henry
TE Foster Moreau
TE Charlie Kolar
LT Laremy Tunsil
LG Robert Hunt
C Andre James
RG Zion Johnson
RT Rasheed Walker

RB Emari Demercado
RB Kimani Vidal
WR Chris Olave
WR Tutu Atwell
WR Dontayvion Wicks
WR Andrei Iosivas
TE Josh Whyle
G/C Jackson Powers-Johnson

Edge Dorance Armstrong
DT Jonathan Allen
DT Travis Jones
Edge Gregory Rousseau
LB Ernest Jones
LB Pete Werner
CB Zyon McCollum
CB Jaylen Watson
CB Darious Williams
S Darnell Savage
S Jalen Pitre

Edge Emmanuel Ogbah
DT A’Shawn Robinson
DT Foley Fatukasi
LB KJ Britt
CB Keisean Nixon
CB Jack Jones
S Evan Williams
S Marcus Williams

Edited by RedGold

Anchorage

Offense: Zone running game combined with a Combo routing/quick passing attack with heavy play action looking to control the clock and keep the ball away from Mahomes

Formations: Ideal usage (Goaline heavy set is more situational and will cut into percentages depending on amount of times/downs on goaline)

12 Personnel (50%)

3 Wide Big Slot (20%)

21 H-Back (10%) 

3 Wide Traditional (10%)

4 Wide Traditional (5%)

Jumbo Package (5%)

Plan of Attack:

• Inside/Outside Zone Rushing Scheme
  • Combo routing, roll out/bootlegs, play action passing attack
  • JSN and Odunze get the start at WR, Tucker gives some relief there and comes in on the outside in traditional 3 wide with JSN moving to slot
  • We will actually target Odunze… giving him plenty of opportunities to showcase his talents just as he has when he’s been thrown the ball
  • Brock lines up all over again (Inline, Big Slot, H-Back) and motions around presnap helping determine coverage and cause defensive shifts as we feed him targets all over the field at various depths 
  • Play action features crossers with Njoku and Bowers, and some deep shots with Odunze with JSN working the shallow field
  • Combo routing allows us to use all our pass catchers at different depths on different plays preventing keying on particular players in designated parts of the field 
  • Allow Burrow to go through his progressions looking to really utilize the quick game to get out guys the ball in space allowing YAC opportunities
  • None of our backs are world beaters but we like what they all bring to our backfield. We stand by the committee approach with a play split of Allgeier/Spears/Roschon/Miller 40/30/20/10
  • In our Heavy, Mims comes in as an extra tackle as we look to punish a Dline missing Kayvon 
  • We will look to get Bowers on the move blocking and getting to the second level to spring runs where he has been a great asset 
  • In traditional 4 Wide we will look to get Bowers a breather and incorporate Odunze and Patrick outside and move JSN and Tucker inside as the slots. 
  • Backs will be used as safety nets in the passing game with some chipping usage especially if we start to see overloads

Defense:

•UFO” 3 Safety against 12/21 personnel 

•”Invasion” Nickel against 11 personnel

•”Mothership” 5-2 against Heavy extra OL sets 22/23 personnel

•”Annihilation” Dime against 4 Wide

Plan of Attack:

• Single High Man, Two Shell Man and Cover 3 mix
  • Introducing newly acquired Ball Hawk Kerby Joseph into our secondary looking to make some plays against the interception friendly Mahomes
  • Bullard in the box in base against their 12 personnel as the Star
  • Vea and Davis get the start inside with Levi and Poona providing rotational depth 
  • Jonathon Cooper gets the start at edge across from Hutchinson and he has been playing really well. Jones ll and Floyd will provide rotational depth to keep the starters fresh
  • Stunts and twists to vary pass rush
  • Hutch mainly plays LE this game to punish their RT, we expect some chips on Hutch but he has shown he can beat them
  • Surtain has Metcalf and Sauce has the other outside receiver 
  • Press/Press looks in all coverages on the outside 
  • When in Nickel Gonzo comes in replacing Bullard and in Dime Stingley is the Dime replacing McFadden
  • Gap discipline run defense 
  • Mothership formation has Vea, Davis, and Ford as DT’s with Hutch and Cooper as stand up edges
  • In our 3 safety, in Single High Man, Kerby has TE1, Bullard has TE2/RB2, and JOK has RB1. McFadden plays a middle zone disruptor and occasional blitzer. 
  • In 2 High out of this formation JOK has TE2/RB2, Bullard TE1 and McFadden has RB
  • In Nickel Single High Kerby has TE and JOK RB, Micah middle zone. Two high JOK has TE and Micah RB. 
  • Dime we play primarily zone but in man JOK has RB Kerby plays a Robber role when Single High, Two High Kerby has deeper zone with Bates. 

Cancun

Offense:

With our top three backs banged up, we assume Anchorage and most of BDL thinks we’ll go to the pass this week. But not so! Knowing that Anchorage’s defensive strength is in their cornerback coverage and recognizing the strange quirk of BDL in that players who are on bye and played the previous week are considered eligible to play, we’re going to pound the rock like nobody’s business behind Aaron Jones, Emari Demercado, and Kimani Vidal for 70% of our plays.

We will be running an absolute fudgeton of two and especially three tight end sets here, with one receiver (usually DK Metcalf) out wide. BDL stud Charlie Kolar gets the call up to the big leagues this week and operates as TE2, while Whyle and Moreau rotate as TE3. There will be heavy doses of stretch plays out of the I-formation, with two or even three tight end sets with the receiver to the weak side of the formation. We will also have a lot of toss plays with a pulling guard to get some extra meat out in space to block Anchorage’s undersized linebackers and poor run-defending safeties.

In an effort to keep our best playmakers involved, we aren’t limiting the run game to our highly competent and definitely both healthy and experienced running backs. We will be utilizing Metcalf, Olave, Atwell, and Wicks on jet sweeps out of single and two receiver sets, and even a few alignments with trips wide, two tight ends, and no back where the slot receiver (Olave, Atwell, or Wicks) either motions into the backfield pre-snap for a handoff or gets the ball in motion on a jet sweep. We really want to use our speed at receiver to target Christian Gonzalez in the run game, and we’ll be looking to see who he is covering to take advantage of that matchup.

In the pass game, we will ALWAYS double Hutchinson with a dedicated blocking tight end, typically Henry or Moreau, no matter which side he lines up on. Inside, we trust Hunt to handle Vea on his own and will double Vea with James+Johnson otherwise. We don’t view any of Anchorage’s other defensive linemen as significant pass rush threats relative to the excellent pass protection on our own line. We will actively target Jordan Davis and his gap if we see him on the field, as he has quietly been having a poor season.

Defense:

This week, we get Anchorage, led by multi-platinum artist and 15 time Grammy Award winner Marshall Mathers, AKA Slim Shady.

burrow%20crop%20IMG_9338%20copy.JPG

With a RB by committee approach and fairly mediocre group of wide receivers, we anticipate a heavy dose of double TE, Jumbo packages, and some formations that have Brock Bowers in the slot and other H back formations to try to utilize matchups that will limit/eliminate our base nickel package. With Njoku dealing with a knee injury and still not at 100%, we anticipate seeing either special teams ace (source unverified) Ben Sinnott, or else Anchorage will be forced to insert Rome Odunze and limit their use of heavier personnel and go to a more 3 wide approach, or else use 2 RB with 2 WR and a TE and operate accordingly.

Anchorage historically likes to utilize a zone running scheme, with a heavier emphasis on inside and outside zone, quicker hitting passing concepts, and heavy doses of playaction passing, boots, and combo routes off of the running game and blocking concepts. Congratulations to Anchorage for actually having a scheme instead of drawing plays out of a hat like a majority of other teams in the league.

The gameplan is going to be simple: Stop Brock Bowers, make Joe Burrow get the ball to a mediocre at best Tre Tucker or JSN, and force them to lean on a stack of mediocre to subpar RB.

With our base 4-3 package, we are going to dictate pressure and tempo this week by allocating a good amount of 5 man pressures vs. the zone running attack, confusing the Front 5 OL and RB looking for space and creases on cutbacks and holes on the inside/outside, while sticking to a Match Quarters coverage. 

b4b5e98c-0029-4974-86a8-d4f7eaf7566a_443

We still get a firm EDGE on the play-side (with a push alert to the backside LB & safety in case they try to put Bowers out the back door) with Rousseau taking the JAM/7 Technique on the TE, or aligned in a 6 if he's an H, with an inside alignment from the Nickel (if in 4-2-5) or the N is your WLB with the Free Safety over Top.

If Anchorage wants to run a slot RPO game, we will have the DE take a lateral step into the passing lane, followed by pressure from the SLB (takes the dive) and the MLB (blitz on the QB) and maintain our inside alignment in the apex. Quite frankly, we don't think that the Z receiver to the field can do much of anything, and the boundary WR gets to see a nice glove to the inside with the sideline functioning as an extra defender.

39c9b152-bd4f-4fca-9c49-0fb036b4c55a_204

We also are going to mix in some MAN this week off of the match/quarters while keeping the 5 man pressures to confuse Burrow, and force them to use Bowers as a chip before going on his route (if Bowers is the Y; otherwise, we will have a FS man on Bowers with underneath seam help from the WLB and the FS maintaining an over the top position:

b78b9530-cb5f-4e34-a0cb-470f28caae7e_443

Should Anchorage utilize their RB in the screen game, we prefer that, since none of them really have any big play ability and we will gladly take 3-5 yard gains to set up 3rd and 4th Downs.

Edited by RedGold

I’m going with anchorage in this match-up. I just can’t wrap my head around what Cancun is trying to do on offense.

I’d understand going run first considering anchorage’s corners but the strength of Cancun’s offense is Mahomes and the WRs and this game plan effectively takes them out of the equation.

Other than a 70/30 run pass split we don’t get any information on their passing game. 3 TE sets, I formation, and then some amount of designed jet sweeps or direct handoffs to the WRs is all well and good but the defense would adjust if you are running 70% of the time and if they are using play action is not made clear. 

Also, I know technically Jones is eligible to be played this week but it’s hard for me to ignore the fact that he’s dealing with a hip injury that most likely would have kept him out of the lineup this week, and at best would have him limited. 

For these reasons I’m going with Anchorage. 

7 hours ago, BodyBurner said:

Other than a 70/30 run pass split we don’t get any information on their passing game.

That would be because Blue forgot to copy half his gameplan when he sent it to RG. Sloppy prep from the head coach, expect a fine from the team and a stern talking-to from the owner this week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

That would be because Blue forgot to copy half his gameplan when he sent it to RG. Sloppy prep from the head coach, expect a fine from the team and a stern talking-to from the owner this week.

Sorry. This made me legitimately laugh. 

I’m sure the miss piece would have quieted my concerns 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BodyBurner said:

Sorry. This made me legitimately laugh. 

I’m sure the miss piece would have quieted my concerns 

It's literally the entire passing gameplan and is a page long. So, probably!

1 minute ago, BodyBurner said:

Let me ask you when you read my post did you think, “BB is an idiot it’s all there. Oh, wait… crap” 

No, I read that and went, "wait, did RedGold not post the whole gameplan?

...did I send him the whole gameplan?

goes to DMs

...Whoops."

• Like 3