How The Lions Respond To The Loss of Aidan Hutchnson

Just Want A Title

The loss of a player like Aidan Hutchison is a pretty tough break for the Lions.  How the Front Office, Coaching Staff and players respond might be on of the biggest challenges of the Sheila Ford Hamp/Brad Holmes/Dan Campbell era.  A number of folks are going to have to step up.  I don't know what can be done with respect to trades.  Teams are going to play hardball with the Lions because they know how much the loss of Hutch could affect this team.  That said.

On The Field:

1.  Aaron Glenn is going to have to get a lot more creative with stunts and blitzes to generate pass-rush.  Alex Anzalone, Trevor Nowaske, and Brian Branch are going to play more important roles with respect to disrupting the QB.  Isaac Ukwu and Mitchell Agude will need to make contributions also

2.  Alim McNeill will have to be a consistent pass-rusher.  He was pretty quiet in the pass-rush until with Cowboys game.  With Hutch out of the picture, he has to get more consistent disruption

3.  The Lions might have to try a "jumbo" line package with DJ Reader, Kyle Peko/Brodric Martin, Levi Onwuzurike and Alim McNeill on the field at the same time complemented with some more "exotic" blitz packages.  DJ Reader is going to draw double teams.  Alim McNeill has been drawing double-teams.  There may be times when a power line-up might do some damage

Trades:

It is tough to project anything with trades.  Brad Holmes is a great GM but other teams know he has a significant need.  Za'Darious Smith makes a lot of sense financially.  Other possible names that might be available:  Trey Hendrickson, Josh Sweat and Denico Autry.  Maxx Crosby has been thrown out there also but that would be a really tough trade to swing.  What are some possible trades?

• Like 1

According to the Detroit News, which cites an unnamed source close to Hutchinson, the injury “appears less severe than a worst-case scenario.” As a result, Hutchinson might be able to return for the Super Bowl.

Obviously, the Lions would have to qualify for the game. Not having Hutchinson could make that considerably more difficult.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-aidan-hutchinson-might-be-able-to-return-for-super-bowl

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to the Detroit News, which cites an unnamed source close to Hutchinson, the injury “appears less severe than a worst-case scenario.” As a result, Hutchinson might be able to return for the Super Bowl.

Obviously, the Lions would have to qualify for the game. Not having Hutchinson could make that considerably more difficult.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-aidan-hutchinson-might-be-able-to-return-for-super-bowl

I don't think the Lions would make a move right away unless the deal was super-easy.  I doubt they will have a realistic timetable for his return for a little while.  The Lions might feel like the can compensate with his loss by getting production from multiple sources internally.  It is tough to say at this point.

• Like 2

I wonder if Justin Houston has anything left in the tank as far as free agents go.  Sort of wish we had brought in Ngakoue a few weeks ago although he has not been much recently but would help.  

In looking for trade targets, it will have to be a team who is out right now and looking to blow things up.  Obviously the Panthers are awful and likely need to start over again. The Browns, Patriots, Jags, Titans, and Raiders seem to have little to no chance and maybe the Jets, Giants, Rams, Saints and Cardinals could think about moving a piece if it helps them cap wise and pick wise.  

The Panthers, Patriots, and Titans don't have anyone I am really interested in.  

The Browns, Giants, Raiders, and Jags have guys I would love but would likely be super expensive or extremely unlikely to be moved in Myles Garrett, Brian Burns, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Maxx Crosby, Travon Walker, and Josh Allen.  Those teams do have some guys who could be moveable though like Za'Darius Smith, Azeez Oujalari, Arik Armstead, and maybe Tyree Wilson.  I know Walker and Crosby have come up in trade rumors and I would gladly take either at this point but still not sure they really are available. 

The Jets have Hasson Reddick who I like but not the attitude and sitting out without a contract.  Not sure he vibes with the Dan Campbell mentality.  Michael Clemons could be a target there as would Will McDonald but don't think he is available at all. The Rams are super young on their D line and doubt they move any of their pass rushers.  The Saints have Cameron Jordan and Carl Granderson that would be helpful but not sure I want Cam Jordan's void money in 2026.  Granderson would be a solid target that is realistic IMO.  The Cardinals are young as well up front and likely not much there to go after.  

So if we don't want to break the bank, Granderson, Za'Darius Smith, Oujalari, seemt o be guys I would target.  If we are ok giving up multiple high picks and spending money, Crosby, Allen, Walker, Burns would be guys I would target.  Crosby's contract isn't that bad actually and I think he would be the one I would focus on given I think he fits the mentality and he said he would like to play in Detroit and for Dan Campbell. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wonder if Justin Houston has anything left in the tank as far as free agents go.  Sort of wish we had brought in Ngakoue a few weeks ago although he has not been much recently but would help.  

In looking for trade targets, it will have to be a team who is out right now and looking to blow things up.  Obviously the Panthers are awful and likely need to start over again. The Browns, Patriots, Jags, Titans, and Raiders seem to have little to no chance and maybe the Jets, Giants, Rams, Saints and Cardinals could think about moving a piece if it helps them cap wise and pick wise.  

The Panthers, Patriots, and Titans don't have anyone I am really interested in.  

The Browns, Giants, Raiders, and Jags have guys I would love but would likely be super expensive or extremely unlikely to be moved in Myles Garrett, Brian Burns, Kayvon Thibodeaux, Maxx Crosby, Travon Walker, and Josh Allen.  Those teams do have some guys who could be moveable though like Za'Darius Smith, Azeez Oujalari, Arik Armstead, and maybe Tyree Wilson.  I know Walker and Crosby have come up in trade rumors and I would gladly take either at this point but still not sure they really are available. 

The Jets have Hasson Reddick who I like but not the attitude and sitting out without a contract.  Not sure he vibes with the Dan Campbell mentality.  Michael Clemons could be a target there as would Will McDonald but don't think he is available at all. The Rams are super young on their D line and doubt they move any of their pass rushers.  The Saints have Cameron Jordan and Carl Granderson that would be helpful but not sure I want Cam Jordan's void money in 2026.  Granderson would be a solid target that is realistic IMO.  The Cardinals are young as well up front and likely not much there to go after.  

So if we don't want to break the bank, Granderson, Za'Darius Smith, Oujalari, seemt o be guys I would target.  If we are ok giving up multiple high picks and spending money, Crosby, Allen, Walker, Burns would be guys I would target.  Crosby's contract isn't that bad actually and I think he would be the one I would focus on given I think he fits the mentality and he said he would like to play in Detroit and for Dan Campbell. 

Tyree Wilson is an interesting name that hasn't come up.  He is young and hasn't really lived up to his billing as a top pick.  I could see the Lions showing some interest.  His length and power fits in with what the Lions try to do.  A change of scenery might do him a lot of good and having a top-shelf coach in Terrell Williams would definitely benefit him.

57 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He can still be poached from the Ravens' practice squad.

I am wondering if for example, we poached Ngakoue, traded for a low cost guy like Z Smith, and get Cominsky back in December, that is "good enough" with Paschal.

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The latest report was the surgery repaired both the tibia and fibula. Not sure how those jives with this report? 

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I don't think the Lions would make a move right away unless the deal was super-easy.  I doubt they will have a realistic timetable for his return for a little while.  The Lions might feel like the can compensate with his loss by getting production from multiple sources internally.  It is tough to say at this point.

These types of windows do not stay open very long. You have your top 3 DE's out for the year. You are not getting to the Super Bowl without a consistent pass rush. You don't have the horses to make that happen without the likely DPOY out for the year. 

You also have the cap space to make something happen. It's an all-in year for the Lions, go for it. Garrett makes the most sense. It also scares the living **** out of me as a Packer fan. Not for this year but going forward with him and Hutch at DE, wow! 

Crosby seems his best on the offenses right side which is where I see Hutch creating the most havoc. Garrett does his best work on the QB's blind side. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

These types of windows do not stay open very long. You have your top 3 DE's out for the year. You are not getting to the Super Bowl without a consistent pass rush. You don't have the horses to make that happen without the likely DPOY out for the year. 

You also have the cap space to make something happen. It's an all-in year for the Lions, go for it. Garrett makes the most sense. It also scares the living **** out of me as a Packer fan. Not for this year but going forward with him and Hutch at DE, wow! 

Crosby seems his best on the offenses right side which is where I see Hutch creating the most havoc. Garrett does his best work on the QB's blind side. 

I agree with all of this.  As soon as the ARSB/Goff/Sewell contracts kick in its a whole new ball game of needing to find new guys like Kerby, Branch, Campbell, Levi, Jamo etc that are cheap.  The window is this year and next and then a new window will likely be opening where we are looking to fill in the holes left by McNeil, Kerby, Iffy, etc.  Sure the picks we would send for Maxx or Garrett would likely be those types of guys but they could also be duds so get the stud now while we can and make a run.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He was on their roster this week and got a sack. 

He was elevated, so available to be poached. https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/rasheen-ali-activated-yannick-ngakoue-elevated-ravens-commanders-week-6-transactions

Though I doubt they'll let him get poached, but at least leave no stone unturned.

• Like 2

Side note, just saw PFF said that Hutch was the first person with 45 pressures and a 90 grade each week since they have been tracking their ratings in 2006.  His pressures were 10 more than second place this year.  His 38.3% pass rush win rate was 11% better than 2nd place. He was the highest rated defender in the league at a 94.9 and second highest player in the league.  Hutch was on a crazy pace and having an insanely good start to the season.  Unfortunate to go down when doing that.  

• Like 3