QB Situation

MOSteelers56

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Can't believe Fields has not ben coached up on his reads when seeing a cover 3

Got to think at least in year 4 he would see it when shown. I get being fooled by late rotations. But to see it almost half your drop backs and still confused by it is a bit much. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's the vibe I've gotten from Fields. He seems like he will take this in stride. 

Personal take incoming:

As a coach I learned it’s all how this is communicated. Had a player get hurt, we were winning with the replacement, demoted the replacement when the starter was healthy. 

The next time a starter got hurt I explained to not the situation. Backup in, you can win the job if you do x, y, z. If you don’t, regardless of record, the starter gets the job back no question. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That's the vibe I've gotten from Fields. He seems like he will take this in stride. 

I hope that is the case, but what is he supposed to say?  Throw a temper tantrum "It's not fair, it's not fair!!"  Justin is a totally 'Chillax' dude, so maybe he is okay with the situation, but if it was me?  I'd be looking at all these QBs that are 'supposedly' better QBs, like Dax Prescott, and see he's thrown 6 INTs, lower Comp%, and has a lower QBR, or Aaron Rodgers, who's thrown 5 INTs, and Comp% of just 61%, also with a lower QBR, or Justin Herbert who's thrown lower YPG, lower Comp%, and lower QBR, or Matthew Stafford, who's only thrown 3 TDs vs 3 INTs, or even worse--Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, and of course, Deshaun Watson, and think, dang, they've played worse than I have, with better WRs and O-Lines, and not won the games I have, and wonder--what if they had Russell Wilson behind them--would they be benched?  I'd be like, dang, I bet, if I was on the Browns, they probably wouldn't bench Watson for Russ...

He's got to be frustrated, and sure, he could've passed the ball better, but that's not all there is to the game, especially when he's been let down by is leading WR the past 2 weeks, with his best options having CA III or Van Jefferson to fall back on.

I just feel bad for the dude, because I think he's played well enough to remain the starter, and still believe, he likely gives us the best chance to win over the Jets--not by passing the ball, but surely, Smith could dial up more QB runs, to generate the necessary offense to get 1st downs, and march down the field. Hopefully, Wilson's Time-to-Throw metrics will have improved like Fields has this season, and I just pray that Wilson plays lights out football, because he's going to have to spray the ball everywhere, and darn quickly, as well.  I have no doubt that he'll look the part, and the 'eye-test' will demonstrate a better passer of the football, but if he isn't given a clean pocket, it could be a long day for Wilson...

Edited by Ward4HOF

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Personal take incoming:

As a coach I learned it’s all how this is communicated. Had a player get hurt, we were winning with the replacement, demoted the replacement when the starter was healthy. 

The next time a starter got hurt I explained to not the situation. Backup in, you can win the job if you do x, y, z. If you don’t, regardless of record, the starter gets the job back no question. 

And that makes sense...you gotta wonder if this is how he communicated this to Fields and Russ?

What I really hope he communicated, to Fields, is that just because Russ will likely take back the starting QB role, that this is not the end of Fields' opportunity to win back the starting job, if he fixes X, Y, and Z, and that he would like nothing better than to re-sign Fields as our starter for next season, and beyond, but again, X, Y, and Z need to be locked down.

47 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I hope that is the case, but what is he supposed to say?  Throw a temper tantrum "It's not fair, it's not fair!!"  Justin is a totally 'Chillax' dude, so maybe he is okay with the situation, but if it was me?  I'd be looking at all these QBs that are 'supposedly' better QBs, like Dax Prescott, and see he's thrown 6 INTs, lower Comp%, and has a lower QBR, or Aaron Rodgers, who's thrown 5 INTs, and Comp% of just 61%, also with a lower QBR, or Justin Herbert who's thrown lower YPG, lower Comp%, and lower QBR, or Matthew Stafford, who's only thrown 3 TDs vs 3 INTs, or even worse--Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, and of course, Deshaun Watson, and think, dang, they've played worse than I have, with better WRs and O-Lines, and not won the games I have, and wonder--what if they had Russell Wilson behind them--would they be benched?  I'd be like, dang, I bet, if I was on the Browns, they probably wouldn't bench Watson for Russ...

He's got to be frustrated, and sure, he could've passed the ball better, but that's not all there is to the game, especially when he's been let down by is leading WR the past 2 weeks, with his best options having CA III or Van Jefferson to fall back on.

I just feel bad for the dude, because I think he's played well enough to remain the starter, and still believe, he likely gives us the best chance to win over the Jets--not by passing the ball, but surely, Smith could dial up more QB runs, to generate the necessary offense to get 1st downs, and march down the field. Hopefully, Wilson's Time-to-Throw metrics will have improved like Fields has this season, and I just pray that Wilson plays lights out football, because he's going to have to spray the ball everywhere, and darn quickly, as well.  I have no doubt that he'll look the part, and the 'eye-test' will demonstrate a better passer of the football, but if he isn't given a clean pocket, it could be a long day for Wilson...

This is what gets some teams into paying mediocre QBs. Good enough at QB is relative, I get that, but the NFL is a league now where mediocre or just "good enough" isn't enough to win championships. Stats aside, IMO, Fields has had 2 starter quality starts. The rest has been backup level like what we used to get out of a Leftwich in years past (yes a high end backup, but still a backup).

• Like 1

I can’t say I watch the all 22, but listening to Chris Carter it sounds like there have been a lot of wide open WRs/TEs the last couple weeks and Fields just isn’t seeing them or able to go through his progression.  I agree I feel bad for Fields, but internally during film review this has to be getting called out.  He should know how he is doing and the mistakes he is making.  

I think it’s a mistake and is bad for his development and confidence, but it shouldn’t be a surprise.

I am not sure which QB to start, but I do want to see what Russ can do with this offense. I also have a rather serious question. Why is Justin Fields being given rookie like courtesy to account for his defense reading weakness? Dude is a veteran…no? 

15 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

This is what gets some teams into paying mediocre QBs. Good enough at QB is relative, I get that, but the NFL is a league now where mediocre or just "good enough" isn't enough to win championships. Stats aside, IMO, Fields has had 2 starter quality starts. The rest has been backup level like what we used to get out of a Leftwich in years past (yes a high end backup, but still a backup).

True enough, and I'm not trying to say I think Fields has been 'lights out', by any means.  I do think he's played well enough to be an NFL starter--I really do, but can he be 'upgraded'??  Sure.  Is Wilson likely an upgrade?  Sure.  Do I think Wilson is the best QB of the two, to start this week against the Jets?  Not really.  Not behind our OL, as it currently sits.  But if he's improved, as Fields has, in getting the ball out of his hands quicker, then yes, Russ has a chance to look really good this week. I hope that is the case.  I'm kinda excited to see how he'll look, but I'm just really worried about the Jets' Defense...

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s all smoke and mirrors. 

Haha...not sure a team can have 20 Sacks in 6 games, and it all be smoke and mirrors...combine that with Fields being T-6th for most sacked QB, and it's not looking great for us, especially with Wilson's track record taking sacks, then add that fact, with our OL.  Broderick will be good for 2 False Starts, and 2 Holds...and probably credited with 2 Sacks, at least.  We got a rookie starting his, what, 3rd game, 2nd at the Right side, which he has very little in game experience, College or otherwise, Ryan McCollum, our back-up, at Center, Isaac in his just, what 2nd game back since having a torn Pec, and the perennial "just-barely-good-enough" LT, and man, I hope Russ is either more mobile than we give him credit for, or gets the ball out lightning quick, because I just happened to see, it only gets worse next week, going up against the #2 ranked team in Team Sacks, with 26, the week after, when we face the Giants...ugh...

I'm just saying...I'm worried, even if Fields was starting.  Best we can hope for is that Rodgers continues to look very 'average', and is careless with ball.