Drone question "Mavic pro"

billking

So I got one of these things and spent a nice chunk of cash. I'm wondering does anyone around here own one or know someone who does. They say it's not very difficult to operate but I'm nervous about sending this expensive toy up a thousand feet until I'm fairly proficient at flying this thing. Any good advice is very appreciative thanks.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:52 AM, billking said:

So I got one of these things and spent a nice chunk of cash. I'm wondering does anyone around here own one or know someone who does. They say it's not very difficult to operate but I'm nervous about sending this expensive toy up a thousand feet until I'm fairly proficient at flying this thing. Any good advice is very appreciative thanks.

A cousin of mine has literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on drones and remote control airplanes and stuff like that and he posts a lot of videos on Facebook of people wrecking expensive ones because they go out and buy expensive ones without having any experience first.  In the comments he always rants about how people need to become proficient flying cheaper models and working themselves up to the more expensive ones. 

Based on that, and considering you already bought the expensive one, I'd suggest you go out and buy a cheaper one and start with that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the drone to get. A guy I know has it and it’s pretty sweet. He’s flown it out pretty high and far without issue so far. Just make sure you do the preflight stuff. He almost lost it once because he didn’t do it. 

Heres a video he made using this drone. He was never on a boat for this he was always on land. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well finally decided to give it a shot....SUCCESS!!!  I see exactly how people lose these things, they take them out in way too windy conditions people think it's okay to go 400' in the air without considering the wind will be much stronger that high. I took mine up 300' yesterday and on a relatively calm day I saw the wind pushing it further east not fast but enough to override the devices ability to stay in 1 place. Controlling this drone is a lot more simple than I originally thought but I'm still going to proceed with caution and avoid any strong winds. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2018 at 10:36 PM, kingseanjohn said:

If anyone else is considering buying this, now may be a good time. Amazon has it on sale for $769.

That is a good deal, I paid $900.00 for mine, have now flown beyond a mile from me without incident but it is a bit nervewracking having that much of an investment hovering in the air beyond my vision.

On 4/15/2018 at 4:09 PM, billking said:

That is a good deal, I paid $900.00 for mine, have now flown beyond a mile from me without incident but it is a bit nervewracking having that much of an investment hovering in the air beyond my vision.

Lol I’d never be able to do that.

I’m not super into drones, but i used to have an indoor one a bought from a mall vendor. It was the display so he sold it to me ($60 new) for $10.  It was hard to control outside, but great for terrorizing the cats when they look at me the wrong way. No camera on this one it was just to fly around 

i also have a larger one for outdoor use. It’s also a cheap one, but was a gift. It has a really poor quality camera but it’s fun to fly around, has a stunt mode where you can do flips and stuff, so that’s cool. I’d guess it’s only good out to a hundred yards or so

On 4/18/2018 at 8:00 AM, domepatrol91 said:

Lol I’d never be able to do that.

I’m not super into drones, but i used to have an indoor one a bought from a mall vendor. It was the display so he sold it to me ($60 new) for $10.  It was hard to control outside, but great for terrorizing the cats when they look at me the wrong way. No camera on this one it was just to fly around 

i also have a larger one for outdoor use. It’s also a cheap one, but was a gift. It has a really poor quality camera but it’s fun to fly around, has a stunt mode where you can do flips and stuff, so that’s cool. I’d guess it’s only good out to a hundred yards or so

Well what you will realize pretty early on is the more expensive drones are very easy to operate and have multiple features to protect it from flying away or crashing, they are for lack of a better word "amazing" and well worth the money, hopefully you will get an opportunity to either own or see someone else with one and you will see what I mean.

2 hours ago, billking said:

Well what you will realize pretty early on is the more expensive drones are very easy to operate and have multiple features to protect it from flying away or crashing, they are for lack of a better word "amazing" and well worth the money, hopefully you will get an opportunity to either own or see someone else with one and you will see what I mean.

Oh yeah I believe it. Even the upgrade from the mall drone to the slightly nicer one I got as a gift is a huge upgrade in that regard. If theres no wind it's pretty easy to adjust trim and get it completely stationary. Nothing warning or anything if you're flying out of range though. My brother in law has the same one and said his controls all "froze" when it went out of range. luckily it wasn't going up, and just landed in a tree. I think mine just went into emergency landing mode when it went out of range, but I'm not positive. 

What kind of features does yours (or other more expensive one) have that ones in the <$200 range dont? I mean obviously theres some pretty major upgrades lol. Tell me about 'em

Mine can't even do streaming video, lol. You gotta land it and pull out the SD card, which is why I never use the camera. 

Archived