Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

I just watched the Junior Road Race, it was incredible. Evenepoel is a phenom. I've never seen a rider dominate a race so completely. He's an unbelievable talent. Heading straight to the World Tour with Quick Step, next season. Will be awesome to follow his progress.

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 10:15 PM, kempus said:

One other point. I agree that the sprinters need to do better, but there comes a point when the Tour needs to consider if it's having a negative effect. There were no pure sprinters left in the race and that happened fairly early on. Nobody wants to see that. I don't think the stages need to be made easier, but maybe the organisers need to consider a different cut off time. Clearly it was too tough for the sprinters this year.

The sprints are the only reason to watch the transfer stages, it's incumbent on the ASO to keep them in the race. 

On 9/4/2018 at 7:21 AM, kempus said:

Yeah, I've been following it. Finding it tough to get a stream, though. Its pretty much as open as any GC in recent memory.

FYI, if you buy the NBC Sports Gold cycling package ($50) you get most of the major cycling events on-demand - 4 or 5 of the Spring Classics (the only Monument I'm not seeing for 2019 is Flanders), Tour Down Under, Paris-Nice, Criterium du Dauphine, the Tour, the Vuelta, and Worlds; also some of the women's races (La Course and Worlds races); only thing missing is the Giro d'Italia and the Giro Rosa. 

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

FYI, if you buy the NBC Sports Gold cycling package ($50) you get most of the major cycling events on-demand - 4 or 5 of the Spring Classics (the only Monument I'm not seeing for 2019 is Flanders), Tour Down Under, Paris-Nice, Criterium du Dauphine, the Tour, the Vuelta, and Worlds; also some of the women's races (La Course and Worlds races); only thing missing is the Giro d'Italia and the Giro Rosa. 

Sounds like a decent deal.

Biggest offseason news is the fact that Sky will be ending their sponsorship at the end of the season. Potentially, an enormous change to.the peloton if Brailsford is unable to find another massive sponsor.

Teams have also announced their rider schedules. Biggest ones so far are Froome and Thomas, both focusing on the Tour. Dumoulin doing the Giro and Tour and Bernal leading Sky at the Giro. Mas will also make his Tour debut. Im sure there has been more, but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Season also gets underway at the Tour Down Under on January 13th. 

Edited by kempus

Lance Armstrong (apparently he was a pro cyclist but I cant find any results for him, weird) talks about how sh*tty of an investment a cycling team is - Riis (BMC) and Sky dropped tens of millions of dollars per year, and at the end of the day all they really have are some kits, bikes, a couples buses, and some team cars. Until theres some equity that results from owning a cycling team, I think the sport is going to be way to interesting every off-season, with teams winking in and out of existence.

Edited by Mr Bad Example

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

First Monument starts with an upset win - young cyclist rides away while the favourites all play "no, YOU go chase him!" 

I was about to come and post about the Ronde. Very surprising result, but it was a case of nobody wanting to chase, as you said.

It was actually the second Monument with Milan–San Remo taking place a month ago. Alaphilippe romped to his first Monument victory in that.

Paris–Roubaix is this Sunday. I'll do my best to watch that one. 

Other topics of note is Quick Steps obsence dominance, as well as the Yates brothers both going very well in the early stage races.

18 hours ago, kempus said:

I was about to come and post about the Ronde. Very surprising result, but it was a case of nobody wanting to chase, as you said.

It was actually the second Monument with Milan–San Remo taking place a month ago. Alaphilippe romped to his first Monument victory in that.

I always forget M-SR. 

And after listening to a couple podcasts about de Ronde, no one in the press or the peloton wanted to poo-poo Bettiol's win, surprising though it was - basically, both Lance Armstrong and a couple of the riders in the race said that letting ANYONE go off the front that close to the line is stupid; of course, they also allowed that if it were, say, Sagan or Van Avermaet, someone would've been on him lickety split. I guess it sounds like it's a difference of watching someone going off the front and seeing who's going to chase because you sure aren't vs watching someone going off the front, and seeing who's going to chase before you decide that you have to. 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I always forget M-SR. 

And after listening to a couple podcasts about de Ronde, no one in the press or the peloton wanted to poo-poo Bettiol's win, surprising though it was - basically, both Lance Armstrong and a couple of the riders in the race said that letting ANYONE go off the front that close to the line is stupid; of course, they also allowed that if it were, say, Sagan or Van Avermaet, someone would've been on him lickety split. I guess it sounds like it's a difference of watching someone going off the front and seeing who's going to chase because you sure aren't vs watching someone going off the front, and seeing who's going to chase before you decide that you have to. 

A lot of the other favourites have been quoted as saying there was nothing they could really do to respond. Surprise winner, but the strongest rider, by all accounts.

Van der Poel with an unbelievable ride at the Amstel Gold. Fuglsang and Alaphilippe blew it, but it was an incredible ride from Van der Poel. He's been the revelation of this classics season, shame his team didnt get an invite to La Fleche Wallonne or Liege-Bastogne-Liege.