The Packers 2015 Draft

TheOnlyThing

Which is why I put what I did "wanted him in the late first.

Kendricks v Randall you make the choice, it's a simple one to me.

We could've drafted other DBs with the same impact later in this draft as these 2 have had

10 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

Which is why I put what I did "wanted him in the late first.

Kendricks v Randall you make the choice, it's a simple one to me.

We could've drafted other DBs with the same impact later in this draft as these 2 have had

You also said "instead of Rollins" in the second. I'm just making sure everyone understands the draft order and that wasn't an option

Believe me I understand the draft order, reading the whole statement completely would've allowed everyone to see the thought which ended with "wanted him late in the 1st"

We were also only 12 slots off from Ronald Darby this year or Quandre Diggs could've been had in a later round. Looking back doesn't change anything.

This draft was a bust in the end, all that matters.

I had a mock that went: Byron Jones, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter in rounds 1-3, that would've been awesome.

My "who I wanted when we were on the clock" picks would've been Malcom Brown, Randy Gregory, Paul Dawson. Ted definitely beat me there. Brown is good but Clark is better. Gregory might be a good player if you locked him in a room after practice and only let him out for games haha.

The 2015 draft just wasn't that good. 

25 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

This has to be one of the most lackluster drafts TT ever put together.

Randall has had his flashes, other than that is a bunch of guys to fill roster spots.

None have had an impact they need to have, this draft failure is part of the reason this roster currently struggles.

Kendricks in the 2nd of this years draft instead of Rollins makes this draft have some legs, wanted him even in the late first.

These results make me glad TT is on the shelf scouting where he should be.

Not placing value on ILBs was a staff thing, not a Ted thing. I remember Elliot being grilled on it after we passed on Reggie Ragland and him saying there's just no reason to place top round value on them. I totally agree with that, unless you're staring at a Kuechly, Willis, Urlacher like player. Kendricks was not worth a 1st.

Give me Blake Martinez and Kenny Clark over Eric Kendricks and a Dean Lowry type mid round DL any day of the week.

I would be a bad GM. I didn't want Malcom Brown because I was so sick and tired of drafting DL every year. Just the thought made me wanna puke.

This was the year of finally moving on from Hawk, so ILB was the hot topic.

My armchair likes were Harold, Perryman, Walford - in no particular order or round. I am not a 'film guy' so my preferences carry little weight

Well the good news with this draft of '15 is the range the Vikings were picking in & got Waynes, Kendricks & Hunter is the same range Gute will be picking in this year.

So lets hope this '18 draft nets us some functional playmakers on defense.

TT's philosophy on drafting in his later years is what has him where he's at now so I don't place much weight in the ILB statement. It was a dumb stance to begin with. Draft the talent let it play out on the field, if we had an ILB that could drop in coverage maybe our DB's wouldn't be getting toasted in the middle of the field so much. Makes you think

I will go to my grave disagreeing with TT's logic regarding ILB, and he should know better being a former LB himself.

Anyone that lines up smack dab in the middle of the field, staring at the QB, with no one in his face, has a pretty damn good chance of making an impact.

He drafted pedestrian guys at best so yeah, they never made an impact, and oh yeah, the middle of the field was torched for a decade

Just now, cannondale said:

He went 20 picks before our second rounder so you would have had to taken him at 30

That doesn't matter!  The Packers are supposed to have Future Goggles and pick 2nd round prospects in the third round! 

Don't you know anything?  Ted Thompson is horse**** for not taking Richard Sherman in the first round when Sherman was drafted! 

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I will go to my grave disagreeing with TT's logic regarding ILB, and he should know better being a former LB himself.

Anyone that lines up smack dab in the middle of the field, staring at the QB, with no one in his face, has a pretty damn good chance of making an impact.

He drafted pedestrian guys at best so yeah, they never made an impact, and oh yeah, the middle of the field was torched for a decade

It's the same as HZ's argument on guards. Look at the ILBs around the league. Look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs, not a single first round ILB. Kendricks, Poz, Roberts, Kendricks V2, Bradham, Hicks, Telvin Smith, all 2nd round and later.

Then look at the pass rushers, Griffen and Hunter are pretty much the only non first round successes (and that's mostly due to scouts not looking enough at the athletic numbers). 

Give me the DL, EDGE, DBs any day over a LB. You can get serviceable LBs all over the draft.

When you pick at the end of round 1 for a decade that's a second round pick year in & year out.

So taking Hendricks in '15 @ 30 whatever is just fine, if you still need a DB then trade back up in the 2nd to take Randall if you're that sold on him.

I'm with you on the premium positions but the problem is they've missed on the majority of those too or they take 4-5 yrs to develop just in time to transition to another team via FA.

44 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Couldn't have said this better myself 

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's the same as HZ's argument on guards. Look at the ILBs around the league. Look at the 4 teams left in the playoffs, not a single first round ILB. Kendricks, Poz, Roberts, Kendricks V2, Bradham, Hicks, Telvin Smith, all 2nd round and later.

Then look at the pass rushers, Griffen and Hunter are pretty much the only non first round successes (and that's mostly due to scouts not looking enough at the athletic numbers). 

Give me the DL, EDGE, DBs any day over a LB. You can get serviceable LBs all over the draft.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but what you said wasn't my argument. I never said ILB was more important than other positions, or should be taken in the first round. I simply said that a good ILB can make a difference and a sub-par guy can be a liability. We've complained about them since forever, so that's proof enough. If they are available everywhere, I sure wouldn't mind getting one someday.

We draft ILB like it's 1985 instead of 2018. I don't want to say TT kept drafting himself, trying to prove it could work, but it sure felt like it

Lol.  Somebody saying, "Ted Thompson, as a linebacker, should know better that linebackers are more important..." is literally the most arrogant and ironic and laughable thing I've read today.  You're calling a former professional football player stupid for not knowing the importance of LB when he played linebacker in the NFL.  Who are you?  You a Hall of Fame linebacker?  Because unless you played linebacker in the NFL, I can easily say, "As a former linebacker, Thompson knows that linebacker isn't all that important." 

Wow.  Just a very large, Owen Wilson Wow. 

According to Ron Wolf if you can manage to get 3 guys who eventually become starters then you've done a good job as a GM. I'd say this draft qualifies.

The first round guys I wanted include:

Stephone Anthony - not the best stats - only one sack

Eddie Goldman - seems to be good

28 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  Somebody saying, "Ted Thompson, as a linebacker, should know better that linebackers are more important..." is literally the most arrogant and ironic and laughable thing I've read today.  You're calling a former professional football player stupid for not knowing the importance of LB when he played linebacker in the NFL.  Who are you?  You a Hall of Fame linebacker?  Because unless you played linebacker in the NFL, I can easily say, "As a former linebacker, Thompson knows that linebacker isn't all that important." 

Wow.  Just a very large, Owen Wilson Wow. 

I was 2 votes short

I thought this was a forum. If you had a chance to line up anywhere on the field on defense in order to make a play to win a million dollars, where would you choose ? You don't need to be a Hall of Fame player to use common sense or have an opinion. You've exercised your right to do so over 8,000 times. I've exercised mine, and will continue to do so, thank you very much. I'm more Kevin Costner than Owen Wilson

If you want to attack my football oplnion, feel free. Attacking me is against forum rues from what I understand. If I upset you that much feel free to put me on your ignore list. Have a great day

Archived