FIrst Mock of The Year For Me

Just Want A Title

It is still early in the draft evaluation process but I wanted to throw out a quick 5-round mock draft.  I didn't spend too much time on free agency but I don't expect the Lions to keep Ziggy Ansah unless he agrees to a one-year deal.  I also tried to use a guys who I haven't seen too much in other mocks.

Free agents:  

Cornelius Carradine DE--Showed he can be a real force once he is at his normal playing weight

Isaiah Crowell RB--A solid RB on a bad team.  Should be a nice addition.  (I am assuming we let Zenner and Dwayne Washington walk)

Chris Hubbard OL---Capable of playing all OL positions and is 26 years old.  Seems like a good fit.

Round 1:  Harrison Phillips DT--highly disruptive former wrestler who is working his way into the first round

Round 2:  Justin Lawler DE--A solid day 2 pick who has improved every year

Round 3:  Kalen Ballage RB/H-Back--The replacement for Dwayne Washington who has more long-term potential

Round 4:  Leighton Vander Esch LB--Special teams and LB depth.  Could surprise though

Round 5:  Quin Blanding S--A special-teamer with skills to develop.  Glover Quinn isn't getting any younger

Thoughts?

I think you can swap Ballage and the LB round wise. 3rd is a bit high. He has improved his stock at the Senior Bowl but it's likely more a bump from 5th or 6th round to 4th. Blanding seems a bit on the low side.

Agreed - there are some major reaches here. Phillips seems more of a Day 2 pick to me right now

I yeah I felt the same oddly, reaching a little based on position imo which is a bad strategy in any draft. It's a mock, and I get it, really tough to say who'd be there at the selections but I just believe better players would be available.

I am a fan of Phillips though, I think he's going to be a good player/starter in this league but I think he's prolly a 2nd round guy honestly.

Don't mind your free agent signings, but this is tough for me to get behind mostly because of the draft.

22 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

He has improved his stock at the Senior Bowl but

Not enough for you ? He showed than not only he can run but also catch passes, to me he is a legit 3rd rounder. Not saying he will because that class is very deep but i think he has enough value now to be considered at this round. Only my opinion.

I may not be objective in this situation, but if you look at the production of Harrison Phillips, along with his senior bowl performance and his background as a wrestler he is a really good prospect.  He is already seen as a second round pick and his stock is rising.  If he has a good combine and pro day, he will probably be picked in the 20-30 range.  Justin Lawler is already projected as a mid 2d-rounder.  Ballage showed really well at the Senior Bowl and is already listed as the 91st best player on CBS Sports.  

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Just Want A Title said:

I may not be objective in this situation, but if you look at the production of Harrison Phillips, along with his senior bowl performance and his background as a wrestler he is a really good prospect.  He is already seen as a second round pick and his stock is rising.  If he has a good combine and pro day, he will probably be picked in the 20-30 range.  Justin Lawler is already projected as a mid 2d-rounder.  Ballage showed really well at the Senior Bowl and is already listed as the 91st best player on CBS Sports.  

I've found the CBS Sports site to be out of date. Not sure I trust that as a source just at the moment for rankings.

Ballage has likely helped his stock but if he was a 5th or 6th, helping his stock would also be increasing to a 4th. I'd like Phillips but in the 2nd round.

Archived