Mock V03

Kenrik

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

My point is all Cousins has to do is threaten to sign the franchise tag tender immediately and the Redskins have to rescind it. Not sure they can trade him prior to him signing it. All he has to do is say he wil not sign an extention with any team that trades for him with the tag. Washington trading for Smith put all the cards in Cousins hand now

What? Trading for Smith gave the flexibility to Washington. They let him walk and don't sign a big free agent and they get a 3rd. They tag Cousins and I guarantee some team would trade a at least a 3rd, even if he won't sign extension. 

7 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

What? Trading for Smith gave the flexibility to Washington. They let him walk and don't sign a big free agent and they get a 3rd. They tag Cousins and I guarantee some team would trade a at least a 3rd, even if he won't sign extension. 

There are not many teams that have $35M in cap space to take on the Cousins tag and give up a high pick.

CLE, NYJ, MIN

Both CLE and NYJ have picks in the top 6 and can get a rookie QB at 1/10 the cost.  MIN has 3 QB's they can re-sign for less.  They could tag Keenum for 2/3 of the cost of Cousins and save the draft pick

49 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There are not many teams that have $35M in cap space to take on the Cousins tag and give up a high pick.

CLE, NYJ, MIN

Both CLE and NYJ have picks in the top 6 and can get a rookie QB at 1/10 the cost.  MIN has 3 QB's they can re-sign for less.  They could tag Keenum for 2/3 of the cost of Cousins and save the draft pick

Wouldnt the tag be the same?

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

No. The tag is either the average of the top 5 or 120% the previous year. So they franchise him once at about 20 mil, then last year at about 24, and this year will be close to 29 mil.

I didnt know that. I was talking about Keenum though but still that would give Keenum what 24 mil. 

38 minutes ago, spilltray said:

No. The tag is either the average of the top 5 or 120% the previous year. So they franchise him once at about 20 mil, then last year at about 24, and this year will be close to 29 mil.

Cousins tag is 144% of his previous season tag amount.  $35M

19 hours ago, Kenrik said:

At 34.5 million for next years cap hit? I think not. Not to mention is would put the Redskins over the cap once they have both Cousins and Smith on the books. 

Archived