Cincinnati Reds Thread - Gettin Lowder in Cincy

THE DUKE

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Enjoy this Rece Hinds heater while he's on it, it won't last.  He strikes out nearly 40% of the time.

That's the story on him. But he's looked like he has a chance to be more than that 

2 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

That's not what I'd been hearing at all. But I won't complain about drafting the best pitcher in this draft

We didn't take Hagen Smith

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

That's the story on him. But he's looked like he has a chance to be more than that 

We're seeing the upside.  Unless he miraculously unlocked something in his pitch recognition upon day one in the majors, history says we won't see that much of this upside.  I don't want to **** on his debut, just that expectations should be tempered.

12 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I was sure I'd seen Burns consistently listed as the top guy. But I guess we'll see what we've got.

He has been, I just liked Hagen Smith better.  Smith already has had Tommy John surgery though, which is a risk.  Burns gave up 14 HR in 16 starts, Smith gave up 5.  Smith gave up less hits.  Burns did pitch more innings and they basically tied in K/9 although Smith was incrementally ahead.  Burns did have less walks than Smith.  Smith is a lefty though.  Both have wipeout sliders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took in a game at the Reds high A affiliate Dayton Dragons tonight

Was at the Dragons game tonight (8/20) against the Cedar Rapids Kernals, here's my thoughts on the game.

• TJ Sikkema had a nice start, but he's a non prospect. He topped out at 90 mph and he got away with a few mistakes pitches tonight that went to the warning track instead of over the fence.  He got his Ks on a solid changeup but it didn't look as good as Cardona's. I'm beginning to think the Dragons pitching coach is an expert at teaching the changeup.

• Easton Sikorski is another solid A ball body, but I don't know how much further he goes.  Threw a little harder than Sikkema, but I thought his off speed stuff wasn't as crisp.

• Simon Miller is yet another older pitcher for A ball as he'll turn 24 next month, but he has legit stuff.  Sat at 95 pretty consistently and pairs that with an average breaking ball, could be a solid middle relief body in the future.

• Ethan O'Donnell and Jay Allen are so so good defensively in the outfield. The routes, jumps, and glove work were top notch from these two tonight.  O'Donnell caught a line drive to the wall jumping over his shoulder, landed and uncorked a big throw that kept the runner at 2nd right after it, it was a great play.  Allen caught 2-3 balls that off the bat I thought were easy line drive hits.  When Jorge was healthy it was like having 3 CF out there, and while Hector Rodriguez is serviceable in LF, he isn't on the level of O'Donnell and Allen.  Allen caught one line drive in the gap that looked like it was going to score two runs but ended the inning instead.  All the fans by the dugout were giving him attaboys on the way into the dugout.

• I remain convinced that Cam Collier is not a 3B long term. Let a blooper fall in for a hit after he got a bad jump off the bat, then over ran it and loafed getting back to it and gave up an extra base.  Not the best day at the plate for him either, but I still believe in his bat long term. He only got 3 plate appearances and was hit by a pitch but when he swung he wasn't really close tonight.

• Leo Balcazar was stinging the ball tonight.  The one at bat he didn't get a hit he had a foul ball to RF that went about 340 feet.  Looked smooth with the glove and had good throws at SS as well.  Very solid night from Balcazar.

• Connor Burns is so good behind home plate at catcher, he's as good as anyone I've seen come through Dayton in a while.  Unfortunately, the bat look awfully iffy.  If he can even hit .220, he's a big leaguer, but even that might be a stretch.

• Not a great night for Allen and O'Donnell at the plate.  They tried to bunt for a hit 3 or 4 times between the two of them (I know Allen did twice for sure) and I don't think any of the bunt attempts got more than 5-6 feet away from the plate.  They both have plenty of speed, but you have to get the ball at least a little further away from the plate to have a chance.

• Wasn't overly impressed with John Michael Faile. He was sitting fastball all the way and swinging for the fences every swing. You can see the power, but that swing isn't made for advanced breaking pitches.

• Cade Hunter had the big hit that broke the game open, but I'm not sure how far past A ball he makes it.

• The Kernals have uber prospect Walker Jenkins, and he's still young, but I was a bit underwhelmed. Plenty of bat speed sure, he definitely looks the part, but he kid if reminds me of Austin Hendrick at the plate. Sikkema made him look silly with a changeup in the first inning, not sure if that bat was within a foot of the ball.  Then in the third inning he was caught looking at a 90 mph fastball like he was sure the breaking ball was coming.  He looked very good in CF though, no worries there, his arm wasn't really tested tonight.  Jenkins was recently promoted to High A from Low A and I think he clearly needs to start next year back in High A.

• It was also Twins 2024 first round pick Kaelen Culpepper's debut and he was a little more impressive than Jenkins (he is two years older after all).  Not really any hard contact but the swing looks solid, he did draw a couple of walks.  Looked very good at SS, complete package there.

It was a great night at the ballpark. It was in the sixties temperature wise, was 3rd row next to the dugout (sadly, no sign of Sally Long Balls), the game barely took over 2 hours, Dragons win, good time with the family.

On 8/23/2024 at 7:18 PM, Beck Bristow said:

We're officially down to one starting pitcher and he got rocked last night. Really not much hope left 

We're cooked.  Unless the Reds go like 28-10 the rest of the way, they are out.  Shut down any pitchers that hit the wall, no need to risk injury, gear up for 2025.  Get healthy, get better odds at a lottery pick, go get a big bat for RF like Anthony Santander on a three year deal.