Sign in to follow this  
Ozzy

2019 NFL Draft Early top 120+

Jaquan Johnson is a really good player but top 10? I was thinking 25-40 range

44 minutes ago, Scout said:

Yeah he's not a top 10 guy. And I'm a big Miami Hurricane fan. He has elite instincts and athletic ability, but I don't think he has the frame to be viewed as an elite safety prospect. I love him, but I'd be shocked if he went in the top 10.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah he's not a top 10 guy. And I'm a big Miami Hurricane fan. He has elite instincts and athletic ability, but I don't think he has the frame to be viewed as an elite safety prospect. I love him, but I'd be shocked if he went in the top 10.

What do you think of his abilities in man and zone?

6 hours ago, Scout said:

Sure maybe he is a little on the slight side but I think he could add some muscle weight to that frame.  In terms of athletic ability and a combination of tackling and coverage ability he is the best safety in next years draft.  Kid has great athletic ability, is very explosive as a tackler for his size, can really bring it and is quick in coverage as well.  Could time very well and again with being able to lay the wood and still cover with speed that could be very interesting.  Potentially he showed a lot last year and with improvement and more to come potentially this year I think top 10-15 in the draft is not out the the question for him.  Sure Budda Baker was not this huge safety either in terms of size, and arguably is a much better slot corner in terms of versatility than Johnson but still was an athletic playmaker who could make plays in coverage and hit aggressively like Johnson.  Yeah Baker dropped into the 2nd round but should have no doubt been a 1st round pick I think.  

As for Deondre Francois, the kid really impressed me as a freshman with his ability to stare down the gun barrel and take shot after shot yet still deliver fine throws in the pocket despite being so young.  Kid got killed as a freshman back there yet showed great leadership and pocket passing ability I thought.  Sure a lot is projection and assumed improvement because he had such a great freshman year and since the injury last year maybe he has not progressed that much, will see.  Would be a lot more clear if he played last season.  And his trouble with the law most recently is not a good sign either.  So sure it is projection having him in the 1st round but honestly no QB out there right now is some lock 1st rounder either because many have a lot to prove before they can become 1st round QBs.  

6 hours ago, Scout said:

What do you think of his abilities in man and zone?

He's excellent in both. He is at his best robbing underneath zones in the curl/flat area or working down into the "hole" player in a cover 1 defense. He is excellent at baiting QB's into bad throws with his excellent anticipation and spacing. I view him as an elite coverage piece for a secondary, but I don't think he could really play corner or be a true box safety. He's a free safety all the way for me. He's Earl Thomas in coverage, but not quite as good against the run as Thomas was at Texas.

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's excellent in both. He is at his best robbing underneath zones in the curl/flat area or working down into the "hole" player in a cover 1 defense. He is excellent at baiting QB's into bad throws with his excellent anticipation and spacing. I view him as an elite coverage piece for a secondary, but I don't think he could really play corner or be a true box safety. He's a free safety all the way for me. He's Earl Thomas in coverage, but not quite as good against the run as Thomas was at Texas.

If he's primarily used as a "rat" player and from what I've seen has very good run support, why do you see him as a FS all the way? I ask about coverage because all I've seen are YouTube cuts against ND and Wisconsin where you can't see/properly grade coverage. Just a bit confused about his usage/projection based on your post. 

7 minutes ago, Scout said:

If he's primarily used as a "rat" player and from what I've seen has very good run support, why do you see him as a FS all the way? I ask about coverage because all I've seen are YouTube cuts against ND and Wisconsin where you can't see/properly grade coverage. Just a bit confused about his usage/projection based on your post. 

He won't be able to play in the box and shed blocks from OL/TE/FB's. He's at his best freelancing and having some freedom to move around and create. Moving him into the box and telling him "fill this gap" and "sit in this flat zone" aren't playing to his strengths. He's not Ed Reed, but they're similar in play style. You wouldn't want Ed Reed rolled up and being part of your rigid run fits and I think Johnson is kind of the same thing.

He's not a bad tackler, but he is just simply too small to be mixing it up in the box against big bodies. He's not going to miss a ton of tackles or anything...it's more about his effectiveness as being the "4th linebacker" as the roll down SS that leads me to believe he can't play there.