My Patriots Mock v.1

hollywood14

Hey guys,

Back in the day we used to post a lot of mocks, but didn’t see much on here. For kicks — and nothing else, I plan to do a mock every now and then leading up to the draft. I’m not expert — I’ve been a fan for 20 years and have watched Belichick’s draft strategy closely and I assure you I likely won’t get one pick right. But, hey it’s for fun.

I did this mock via Fanspeak where you actually do a mock simulator — you don’t just pick guys, it’s a full draft. So here’s my first mock:

R1:P31: EDGE Lorenzo Carter - Georgia

R2:P43: TE Dallas Goedert - South Dakota State

R2:P63: QB Kyle Lauletta - Richmond

R3:P95: ILB Jack Cichy - Wisconsin

R4:P136: S DeShon Elliott - Texas

R6:P210: RB Chase Edmonds - Fordham

R7:P219: CB Anthony Averett - Alabama

Some notes: I believe the LT need is one that won’t be addressed in the draft. Every year there’s ONE need we assume the Pats will draft high — and they don’t. In past years it was WR, CB, LB, Edge. The re-signing of Waddle tells me they likely feel comfortable with him being a bridge from Garcia. People forget we traded up for Garcia and surrounded another pick to get him. 

I believe Carter can be a Jamie Collins-type player on this defense. Goedert is too great to pass up — I think he’s gone by this point, but watch for Hayden Hurst. Either are solid. I heard report that Saints and Pats are two teams really evaluating TE position. I think this need COULD even be addressed in round 1. I wouldn’t be shocked.

You reach a little bit for Lauletta, but you could throw any mid-tier QB here (Falk or Mike White). If they wait until round 3 or 4 I could see Marshall QB Chase Litton being in play. I could also see a scenario where we take Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph at 31 to ensure we get a 5th year option on the QB.

The rest of draft is solid depth. Cichy when healthy is exactly what we need inside. Elliott has potential but hasn’t lived up to expectations at Texas — bigger safety. I know we extended Chung, but he and McCourtey are aging. Edmonds is a a shifty back and Averett could be solid dime and ST player.

18 minutes ago, hollywood14 said:

I believe the LT need is one that won’t be addressed in the draft. Every year there’s ONE need we assume the Pats will draft high — and they don’t. In past years it was WR, CB, LB, Edge. The re-signing of Waddle tells me they likely feel comfortable with him being a bridge from Garcia. People forget we traded up for Garcia and surrounded another pick to get him. 

I hear you on this point, but there is no way not a single pick is made on the OL. Maybe your right and they go defense early, but some type of tackle will be selected unless a trade goes down for a starter. BB is not the type of guy to put all his eggs in one basket. 

22 minutes ago, hollywood14 said:

I believe Carter can be a Jamie Collins-type player on this defense.

It seems Lorenzo Carter is slowly become a forum binky. I dont think Carter touches @Richter's ranking on Collins. Not sure he has the extreme athleticism that Jamie has. What I do like is the guy sets a SOLID edge, knows how to read a play, and has good physical traits that he can develop. 

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I hear you on this point, but there is no way not a single pick is made on the OL. Maybe your right and they go defense early, but some type of tackle will be selected unless a trade goes down for a starter. BB is not the type of guy to put all his eggs in one basket. 

It seems Lorenzo Carter is slowly become a forum binky. I dont think Carter touches @Richter's ranking on Collins. Not sure he has the extreme athleticism that Jamie has. What I do like is the guy sets a SOLID edge, knows how to read a play, and has good physical traits that he can develop. 

The OT class is extremely weak. Mike McGlinchey could be a Day 1 starter, but Williams (Texas), Miller (UCLA), and O’Neill (Pittsburgh) are the only other Patriots fits and all three would struggle as a plug and play starter, in my opinion.

In my mock (I should’ve posted first round), McGlinchey, Williams and Miller were gone at 31. There simply isn’t value outside these four plus Crosby (Oregon) and Brown (Oklahoma) — guys I don’t see as NE fits.

So that also plays a part in no LT.

I agree — I don’t think Carter is Collins on athleticism scale, but I think he can do some of what Collins did in the defense. For mock purposes, it was a toss up between Carter and Ronnie Harrison in my book, but I couldn’t justify drafting a S that high.

37 minutes ago, hollywood14 said:

Works for me! 

Not sure I see Jamie Collins, he was a great-to-special athlete, but I’d be cool with Carter. There should be a decent amount of LB/DE talent at this spot.

Goedert is very good, but like you said, not sure he’ll be available at this point. The only other thing is that this is also a prime spot for a tackle with some guys like Miller or O’Neil available. Defensive tackle should be a prime spot here as well. 

I think if Carter isn’t the guy in R1, this would be a place for Griffen.

Not complaining about this one either. 

This is a great spot for a similar LB with less healt concerns - Josey Jewell (if he makes it this far). 

STer in R4? I think a guy like Terrell Edmunds would be a good S pick here, unless NE thinks he’d be too much like Chung playing around the LOS. 

Nice write up altogether. Wouldn’t be disappointed if the draft went this way (so that means it won’t).

Carter is plenty athletic enough. I'm sure he would grade well. He has a great broad jump, vertical, 40, great strength, long limbs, big hands, is 6'6, and is experienced dropping in coverage. Comes from Nick Saban bloodlines. Great pick and likely slection for the Patriots. I love the mock draft because on top of Carter, you have DeShon Elliott and Anthony Averett - (who is in no way lasting until the 7th round). Goedert and Lauletta are solid picks. The others I don't know, but I hope they get some of these players.

13 hours ago, hollywood14 said:

Brown (Oklahoma) — guys I don’t see as NE fits.

Curious about this. I actually drafted him in this years TCMD. I like his upside a lot, especially with a coach like Scar in the wings. All his biggest knocks are on technique. 

On 3/22/2018 at 10:56 PM, hollywood14 said:

R6:P210: RB Chase Edmonds - Fordham

R7:P219: CB Anthony Averett - Alabama

I really like Carter to the Pats - I think they could make him into something special. Lauletta is a good fit but I just don't feel like he'll end up in New England. I don't know, we'll see. Goedert looks good and could replace Bennett, who retired today.  Also, if by any chance (highly unlikely) Mark Walton (RB, Miami) falls to where we pick Edmonds, I'd like to see him and maybe with 4.136 if needed too. I think Walton's the most explosive runner in the draft class (except Barkley) and could be better than Dion Lewis was.

23 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I really like Carter to the Pats - I think they could make him into something special. Lauletta is a good fit but I just don't feel like he'll end up in New England. I don't know, we'll see. Goedert looks good and could replace Bennett, who retired today.  Also, if by any chance (highly unlikely) Mark Walton (RB, Miami) falls to where we pick Edmonds, I'd like to see him and maybe with 4.136 if needed too. I think Walton's the most explosive runner in the draft class (except Barkley) and could be better than Dion Lewis was.

Walton has had a number of individual workouts for teams apparently.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

who are you looking at GFW?

I wouldn't be upset with Kolton Miller or Mike McGlinchey. I'm not in love with either prospect, but Scar could do whip them into some shape at least. McGlinchey is the lower ceiling prospect out of the two. Brian O'Neil would also be intriguing as a pure athletic upside guy, but he and Miller need to get physically stronger. I guess that's not a dissimilar situation to when Solder came out.  

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Brian O'Neil would also be intriguing as a pure athletic upside guy,

I do not like O'Niell at all. To me his issues are more than technique, they are mental blocks. If he doesnt win right away, he will forget everything about football and make a myriad of mistakes. He's a walking holding call at the next level IMO. Best case scenario, he is a swing tackle you bring in as a 6th lineman to run screens. If I was a GM, he wouldnt be on my board. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I do not like O'Niell at all. To me his issues are more than technique, they are mental blocks. If he doesnt win right away, he will forget everything about football and make a myriad of mistakes. He's a walking holding call at the next level IMO. Best case scenario, he is a swing tackle you bring in as a 6th lineman to run screens. If I was a GM, he wouldnt be on my board. 

He’s a mess technically, but is also someone still learning the position. He has the kind athletic tools that Scar could work some magic with, not a dissimilar project than Terron Armstead a few years back. I wouldn’t take him in the first round, that’s for sure.

Hopefully we can get someone to slide in earlier, just think if the Pats take O’Neil, that gives some validity to the idea they think his issues are coachable.

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

that gives some validity to the idea they think his issues are coachable

I just don't think they are. Or should I say, I dont think he is. Things like grabbing instead of punch and balance issues are EASY fixes that college coaches should have already coached out of him. He strikes me as the type that skates on his athleticism and when he gets to this level where everyone across from him is more athletic than he is, he will shut down. 

Archived