pwny

Well...  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Who becomes the starter

• Patrick Omameh
    • Tyler Shatley
    • Other [specify]

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, maybe its just me but im pretty stoked to see Bo at LG. He was solid yr 1 and Omameh has been up and down. Maybe Bo can bring more consistency.

Bo was a solid C. Linder was a monster at RG. Cann's most natural position is LG. Uh... Why not put them like that? What in the world are the Jaguars doing? 

18 minutes ago, Jags said:

Bo was a solid C. Linder was a monster at RG. Cann's most natural position is LG. Uh... Why not put them like that? What in the world are the Jaguars doing? 

Having an elite center is much more valuable than an elite rg. Linder showed tons of flashes last year of just that. I'd keep him there too.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Having an elite center is much more valuable than an elite rg. Linder showed tons of flashes last year of just that. I'd keep him there too.

I think RG and C are about equally as valuable. The only real difference to me would be whether your LG or RT is the weakest link. 

59 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I think RG and C are about equally as valuable. The only real difference to me would be whether your LG or RT is the weakest link. 

Idk, I feel much better about the center being a leader for the OL and leading by example, therefore being a staple/top guy on the unit. RG is really important too but thats just my mindset. Team seemed to go that route when they moved him. Bowanko played decent his rookie year and Linder was a high end RG and yet we moved him.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, iPwn said:

LG is usually the weakest link in an OL. RG is usually top 2-3 most important. That entire right side of the OL goes to complete garbage if you start Watford next to Parnell. If Cann is the best Guard they have, they kinda have to play him there. It’s not that they think Cann would be better at LG than RG, but that mediocre play is easiest to mask between a LT and a C.

Eh, i think it can vary between schemes a bit between LG/RG importance.  But regardless, the thing about this is that it's not always strictly "this spot is more important"...it's also about putting guys in spots that play to their strengths.  Maximizing what you can get out of ability.  Which to me, is potentially LG for Cann.  But getting the most out of player abilities hasn't been a strong suit of this team for a long long time.

Basically...Cann hasn't really looked all that great at RG.  So there's a tradeoff within a tradeoff there.  You put Cann at LG and if he can use his power more effectively there (like he did in college)...maybe you have an upgrade at a "less important position", but you have an upgrade.  Which in turn, maybe you have a guy like Shatley or Bowanko who may not be "as good" in a vacuum, but seem potentially better suited to RG and may not even be a real downgrade there (or maybe even Center, with Linder sliding in as a supposed All Pro RG to strengthen that side of the line).  So you've upgraded one spot by putting a guy in their natural place...while maybe marginally weakening another.  That's a big net improvement overall if it works.

I want to say there's a good reason that they refuse to really examine that possibility...But it seems like this team does a lot of bashing its head against walls for little reason.  So this wouldn't be outside the norm, to just overlook a seemingly very obvious solution to something.

16 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Idk, I feel much better about the center being a leader for the OL and leading by example, therefore being a staple/top guy on the unit. RG is really important too but thats just my mindset. Team seemed to go that route when they moved him. Bowanko played decent his rookie year and Linder was a high end RG and yet we moved him.

So it seems coach Marrone is less concerned about positioning and more concerned about finding the best 5 players and sticking them on the offensive line to thrive. He said this back in July and I'm sure he's stuck with his vision. I hope he stays confident and sees it through. 

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/7/27/16050172/doug-marrone-wants-five-best-jaguars-lineman

“To me we should have a very good feel where we are prior to going up to practice against New England,” Marrone continued. “I think there may be a couple things here or there that the New England practices may separate for us, but I think we should have a good feel. If everyone is participating and everyone is available then we will have a good feel of where we are there, as far as what the positions are or at that point what the best five is – we should definitely know. As far as the best five at that moment.”

Archived