Tre Boston--Should We Pursue Him?

Just Want A Title

I read this article about Tre Boston:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/30/tre-boston-learning-theres-no-safety-in-being-a-free-agent/

He is a young player with talent who has put up pretty good numbers.  Should we go after him?  If we signed him I think that would mean Miles Killibrew was no longer in our long-term plans.  Thoughts?

I was actually putting some thought to Miles today.. it dawned on me that he certainly has a place in this defense. Especially if if we truly run a hybrid defense as anticipated. 

Miles seems to have a great mix of size, speed, cover, and anticipation skills to be a very good 3rd down linebacker, while also providing quality looks on special teams and safety when we have injuries.

I think signing another depth safety doesn't mean he is out, just that his focus would be more LB than safety, while again, giving solid snaps on special teams.

Quinn has shown a very dedicated focus on improving the middle of the roster, and I feel Miles has a home there.

6 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I was actually putting some thought to Miles today.. it dawned on me that he certainly has a place in this defense. Especially if if we truly run a hybrid defense as anticipated. 

Miles seems to have a great mix of size, speed, cover, and anticipation skills to be a very good 3rd down linebacker, while also providing quality looks on special teams and safety when we have injuries.

I think signing another depth safety doesn't mean he is out, just that his focus would be more LB than safety, while again, giving solid snaps on special teams.

Quinn has shown a very dedicated focus on improving the middle of the roster, and I feel Miles has a home there.

Maybe Killibrew may turn out to be like Thomas Davis who started as a safety but settled in and excelled as a linebacker.  He is a good tackler.  He has the size and speed to cover TE's so it might be a good fit

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, GetDownandDirty said:

Agreed. I think moving Killibrew to LB makes sense. Bring in Boston & make the move. We saw what Patricia did with VanNoy. I’m sure he’ll find the fit for Killibrew.

I don't think David Thomas is quite the right comparison I mean, Thomas added weight, and is very very good. I think a better comparison or expectation would be Arizona Cardinals DB/LB Deone Bucannon. He's played inside LB in their 3-4 fronts. Thicker DB like Killebrew. Still plays in the box safety certain downs. Been a solid player but I don't think it's fair to expect David Thomas play out of Killebrew.

Idk, if it was our coaching staff or Killebrew himself but I've always thought he was under utilized as a player, he can do a lot of different things on certain downs and allow others to fit roles they excel at on defense. To me Slay/Quinn/Diggs/Killebrew/Lawson should be interesting this year, again, we didn't lose anything on the backside which was prolly our strength on defense last year. If Tabor progresses at all then we're going to be a tough backfield, not LOB or anything but still solid.

Archived