Forum by forum Mock Draft - Pick 19

Jason_Bengal_Fl

Ridley is a terrible athlete for his position, that's going to hurt him. Not explosive in the least. I would actually think given his numbers he wouldn't be on radar for Dallas, but there are some in the organization that want Dez gone and move Collins back to G....so what do I know. 

40 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol his route is suspect if he is not the No.1 target. Not Moss type selfish but you can see it.

You saw it during the Clemson and Georgia game this year. He is a willing blocker but plays undersized when trying to block a defender.

And Sutton suffered from bad QB play and still produced. Moore as well. That's a common trait for some of the best WR's in this class.

What you see is what you get with Ridley, as he has probably just about maxed out his potential aside from a few things he can clean up in his game.

If he was as good as you say he would not make it out of the Top 5. Such as 4 to the Browns as a top target for Darnold.

We can disagree, thats fine. But to counter..

When you watch him run his routes, he utilizes veteran NFL player fakes. Those are tough to learn to use how he uses them. A swift turn of the neck, a deceptive twist of the foot, a spacebuying shift of the hips. He consistently buys himself separation on nearly every route. That is huge.

And he doesnt just try to block. He comes off the line at full effort to lead his man away from the play, and then uses his frame to wall out his guy. He doesnt clobber a guy off the ball. But like Chad Johnson back kn the day, he gives an all effort route attempt to mislead his man into thinking pass. That is another tremendous trait to have.

I dont see lazy routes at all, though i do think since you tend to be pretty smart on these boards I will go watch the Georgia game again. 

I do think you are underestimating what Ridley brings to the table as the most polished and pro ready receiver available. He has the speed, the hands and most importsnt the route running to be a big factor for a long time

I do like Sutton - ive said he is my favorite weapon available because of his potential. However he is a big risk because his route running is a big question mark. It isnt enough to be tall strong and fast in the NFL - Doctson , Dorsett, Perriman, all suffered similar issues and have struggled to learn the route running part of their speed or strength/size/speed capability. Moore, he has explosion. But again, he doesnt put his whole game together either.

Im not saying Ridley is megatron or OBJ. But his quiet efforts and ability to do everything will make him a star. An under the radar star, like Fitzgerald, doing everything without the flashy plays of OBJ, without the magic of a megatron, but with thenconsistent ability to just do it all for a team.

7 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Step away from the combine numbers.  He is plenty explosive on the field.  

I wasnt going to say it and spark another debate  but you are completely correct. It shows on film. He completely out ran the entire Clemson secondary twice in each meeting. That slant he ran against...i think Florida? (dont have my notes atm) was fhe single most ahletic and precise route I have dug up from the entire draft. The way he sold the outside move, the way he exploded on his inside step then with god given athleticism sprinted, spun then sprinted again right out if the hands of LB and DB alike? Kid is plenty explosive and bound for stardom.

Archived