Australian Rules Football -- 2023 season is upon us! You really should be watching this game!

Bucketheadsdad

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

What game are you watching?  Pretty sure the season hasn't started yet

Just watching a West Coast vs Collingwood game from last year. I think its the final.

Im liking it. The contact and handling of Rugby/A. Football, continuous movement and kicking of soccer and a bit basketball with the dribbling.

I just wish the games didnt start at 3-7am where I live.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, Hail Mary said:

Just watching a West Coast vs Collingwood game from last year. I think its the final.

Im liking it. The contact and handling of Rugby/A. Football, continuous movement and kicking of soccer and a bit basketball with the dribbling.

I just wish the games didnt start at 3-7am where I live.

FS1 will carry one game a week (generally on Friday nights.)  You can always DVR those games.  

If it turns out that you love the game, you can always sign up for the https://watchafl.com.au app.  It is $149 for the year, and lets you watch the games live, on demand, as well as all of the programming that FOXFooty has.  I love it.  I'm an longtime baseball fan from Ohio, and I've found myself watching more AFL games over the last 3 years than baseball games.  

( I posted a few "rules of the game" videos earlier in this thread, so feel free to dive in.  1st game of the season just ended, and one of the best defenders in the sport just tore up his knee.  Didn't look too bad, but they are saying it is his ACL.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

FS1 will carry one game a week (generally on Friday nights.)  You can always DVR those games.  

If it turns out that you love the game, you can always sign up for the https://watchafl.com.au app.  It is $149 for the year, and lets you watch the games live, on demand, as well as all of the programming that FOXFooty has.  I love it.  I'm an longtime baseball fan from Ohio, and I've found myself watching more AFL games over the last 3 years than baseball games.  

( I posted a few "rules of the game" videos earlier in this thread, so feel free to dive in.  1st game of the season just ended, and one of the best defenders in the sport just tore up his knee.  Didn't look too bad, but they are saying it is his ACL.  

I've signed up for two free weeks. Watched the opening game earlier.

I'll see about how much I'll pay after that, don't have a ton of money and I'm a bit in the hole at the moment. Quite a few games in between though, so I should be hooked by then :)

I'll be sure to check out those videos, thanks for posting/making this thread. Wouldn't have known much about the game if you hadn't. *thumbs up*

Yeah, shame about Rance, I cringed when I saw his knee buckle. The game was great though, I can't remember his name, but the guy that looks something like UFC fighter Paul Felder had a good Specky(that statement might be redundant), they interviewed him right after the game. 

That part of the game was a big selling point for me, never seen anything like the Specky in a sport before. Basketball and Football have interceptions, but you don't see dudes jumping on eachothers backs/shoulders, it's different, original. Plus, I had been looking for a sport outside North America I could get behind. I tried Soccer and Rugby, couldn't stick with either of them.

Cheers.

Edited by Hail Mary
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 9:13 PM, drd23 said:

I won't tell you which team to pick, but I will tell you which ones you shouldn't

- GWS & Gold Coast - they are new expansion franchises that are resented by a lot of fans because they lack the history/culture of other teams and were manufactured by the league with significant draft concessions
- Brisbane - they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good, if ever
- Hawthorn - picking them would be the same as a new NFL fan picking the Patriots - you'll look like a bandwagon fan
- Collingwood - probably my bias showing as my team has somewhat of a rivalry with them, but you'd be joining the most "redneck" fan base in the league

I was pretty quick to go with WCE, would picking them be considered bandwaggoning?

They were one of two teams I watched for the first time in the Grand Final and chose before the first quarter was over. Collingwood seemed kinda lame, with all due respect.

I looked and saw they've only won 3 premierships.

I probably should do more research and watch more games before I decide.

What about the Melbourne Demons?

Edited by Hail Mary

3 hours ago, Hail Mary said:

I was pretty quick to go with WCE, would picking them be considered bandwaggoning?

It's kinda hard to say.  I am from Melbourne so there aren't exactly that many Eagles supporters here.  The vast majority were born and live in Perth where the Eagles are based.

A big part of why the Eagles have only won 4 premierships (1992, 1994, 2006, 2018) is that they were the first "expansion" team in 1987 when the old VFL (Victorian Football League) decided to nationalise.  They are actually the second most successful team in that time period (behind Hawthorn)

What about the Melbourne Demons?

No, I don't think anyone could be accused of being a bandwagon fan for supporting Melbourne.  They've been so poor for so long that they basically "deserve" a premiership now (haven't won a grand final since 1964, which is the title longest drought at present).  FWIW their fans have a reputation for being fair weather fans as they represent the most affluent part of Melbourne and have been known to spend the winter skiing instead of supporting their team when they aren't performing.

Also fwiw, I'd probably rescind my recommendation of not choosing Brisbane because "they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good" - with a bit of help from the AFL they seem to have hired the right people off the field and have a number of promising players on it

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, drd23 said:

It's kinda hard to say.  I am from Melbourne so there aren't exactly that many Eagles supporters here.  The vast majority were born and live in Perth where the Eagles are based.

A big part of why the Eagles have only won 4 premierships (1992, 1994, 2006, 2018) is that they were the first "expansion" team in 1987 when the old VFL (Victorian Football League) decided to nationalise.  They are actually the second most successful team in that time period (behind Hawthorn)

No, I don't think anyone could be accused of being a bandwagon fan for supporting Melbourne.  They've been so poor for so long that they basically "deserve" a premiership now (haven't won a grand final since 1964, which is the title longest drought at present).  FWIW their fans have a reputation for being fair weather fans as they represent the most affluent part of Melbourne and have been known to spend the winter skiing instead of supporting their team when they aren't performing.

Also fwiw, I'd probably rescind my recommendation of not choosing Brisbane because "they are a mess off the field and will take a long time to be any good" - with a bit of help from the AFL they seem to have hired the right people off the field and have a number of promising players on it

Thanks for the info my man. 

Just don't want to be considered a bandwaggoner, terrible thing to have attached to you and I never have been considered one.

I think it's too late to change now though, already put down for West Coast on another forum and I can't just say "undecided", website doesn't allow it. 

@Bucketheadsdad

Excited for your teams first game of the season?

Not as excited as I am now!  :)  What a great start to the year.  The Cats 1st 6 weeks on the fixture is an absolute nightmare.  If they get through it at least 3-3, it sets up well for the rest of the season.  

Was up at 4:30 a.m. to watch the 1st half at home, then drove to work during halftime.  Watched the 2nd half in my classroom (I'm a HS teacher) before the kids came in.  Screaming my head off.  

Looking forward to the Dees/Power tonight.  Not sure what to make of the Power.  They have the potential to be a very solid team, but they might be the biggest enigma in the comp.  

I posted these in a FB msg board.  This is my ladder prediction for this year.  (Before the opening two games.)

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. GWS
7. Geelong
8. Brisbane
9. Hawthorn
10. Port Adelaide
11. Sydney
12. Carlton
13. Essendon
14. Freemantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Western 
17. Gold Coast
18. St. Kilda

Brisbane is the team that I think makes a big leap this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Not as excited as I am now!  :)  What a great start to the year.  The Cats 1st 6 weeks on the fixture is an absolute nightmare.  If they get through it at least 3-3, it sets up well for the rest of the season.  

Was up at 4:30 a.m. to watch the 1st half at home, then drove to work during halftime.  Watched the 2nd half in my classroom (I'm a HS teacher) before the kids came in.  Screaming my head off.  

Looking forward to the Dees/Power tonight.  Not sure what to make of the Power.  They have the potential to be a very solid team, but they might be the biggest enigma in the comp.  

I posted these in a FB msg board.  This is my ladder prediction for this year.  (Before the opening two games.)

1. West Coast
2. Richmond
3. Collingwood
4. Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. GWS
7. Geelong
8. Brisbane
9. Hawthorn
10. Port Adelaide
11. Sydney
12. Carlton
13. Essendon
14. Freemantle
15. North Melbourne
16. Western 
17. Gold Coast
18. St. Kilda

Brisbane is the team that I think makes a big leap this year.  

Id say you were having a hell of a time. Congrats on the win!

I was cheering for Geelong too, already cant stand the Pies. 

Bit of a slow game for the first half, but it didnt disappoint by the end.

Ill have to take a look at that list later when I get the chance.

Dont think ill be stayimg up to watch Melbourne play tonight. Have an early rise for West Coasts first game tomorrow.

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hail Mary said:

West Coast taking a bit of a thrashing rn.

Yes they are.  I didn't start watching live, so I'm halfway through the 3rd.  (I did peek at the score, though).  

When was the last time the two teams that played in the GF lost the next year in Rd. 1?  ......and the reigning premiers losing to someone that wasn't part of the top 8?  

Yeah, the Eagles are missing Gaff, Nic-Nat and a few others, but wow this has been a revalation about these young Lions.  

(Makes me feel a bit better about having them in the top 8 of my ladder prediction.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Yes they are.  I didn't start watching live, so I'm halfway through the 3rd.  (I did peek at the score, though).  

When was the last time the two teams that played in the GF lost the next year in Rd. 1?  ......and the reigning premiers losing to someone that wasn't part of the top 8?  

Yeah, the Eagles are missing Gaff, Nic-Nat and a few others, but wow this has been a revalation about these young Lions.  

(Makes me feel a bit better about having them in the top 8 of my ladder prediction.)

It does seem pretty odd. 

Yeah, we didn't have Nic Nat when we played for the Final last year, so you're right, that can't be the only reason. 

I'm still a total newbie, so I don't have a clue what could be the reasons, maybe it was like the opening game between Richmond and Carlton, just rusty given it's the first game the Eagles have played. 

Either way, Brisbane owned them.

Question for you my man, any good independent YouTube channels around to help me learn about footy and keep up to date on whats going on? Particularly West Coast?

Edited by Hail Mary

12 minutes ago, Hail Mary said:

I'm still a total newbie, so I don't have a clue what could be the reasons, maybe it was like the opening game between Richmond and Carlton, just rusty given it's the first game the Eagles have played. 

I think the first couple of games usually throw up some unexpected results, partly because the players are a little rusty and partly because of the weird pre-season rules we have in the AFL.

Pre-season starts at different times for different teams, depending on where they finished on the ladder the previous season - so the Lions, as a team that didn't play any finals (what Americans call play-offs) gets to have the longest pre-season, while the Eagles had the shortest because they played in the Grand Final.  That means that the Lions had a better chance to recover from any off-season surgeries, get their fitness up, work on new tactics etc.  Plus they had extra time to adapt to the new rules that came into effect this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hail Mary said:

It does seem pretty odd. 

Yeah, we didn't have Nic Nat when we played for the Final last year, so you're right, that can't be the only reason. 

Either way, Brisbane owned them.

Question for you my man, any good independent YouTube channels around to help me learn about footy and keep up to date on whats going on? Particularly West Coast?

https://www.afl.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxAeHdLDAatFV_vt95MSO-g

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-EfS1lrqV8TJdRAVzh_dxA/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcdysvRTBHNvUpWSF3H8NmA

https://www.deminimis.com.au/home/a-newbies-guide-to-afl-teams

https://australianfootball.com/

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl

• Like 1