Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

But what has Winger done? When was his tenure?

Someone on Twitter reminded me that in 2021 the Clippers did make it to the Western Conference Finals. I had forgotten about that.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Now hire Bob Myers as GM. Fat chance.

If Winger has Winger has full control, we'll know it soon enough. There is just simply no way the Wiz are a championship contender with Beal and that contract. No way. None. Zero. Zip.

Come on fella... we're never a contender anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Now hire Bob Myers as GM. Fat chance.

If Winger has Winger has full control, we'll know it soon enough. There is just simply no way the Wiz are a championship contender with Beal and that contract. No way. None. Zero. Zip.

Yeah no chance they're a contender with Beal’s contract. The only way would be if Beal stayed healthy for once, played as efficiently as last year but with the volume he bad when he was scoring 30 ppg in 2020 & 2021. I really don't see they happening.

It does bother me seeing Miami go to the finals & Boston getting there last year bc I don't think either team is that much better than us on paper but the difference is their 2 star players play like dogs & our star players are inconsistent on both ends of the court & down right bad on D at times.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah no chance they're a contender with Beal’s contract. The only way would be if Beal stayed healthy for once, played as efficiently as last year but with the volume he bad when he was scoring 30 ppg in 2020 & 2021. I really don't see they happening.

It does bother me seeing Miami go to the finals & Boston getting there last year bc I don't think either team is that much better than us on paper but the difference is their 2 star players play like dogs & our star players are inconsistent on both ends of the court & down right bad on D at times.

Both are top 10 in defense. Surprisingly Boston is #2 and Miami #9. I would have had it the other way around. The Heat were actually a -0.5 rating in the regular season. Jimmy is just a different dude. I love listening to his press conferences. His last one, he actually changed "me" to "we." It just show the leader he tries to be and is. Beal doesn't have that quality. The best folks say about him is he's really nice. Really nice just doesn't cut it.

Additionally, I think it was Scott Jackson (Team 980) that was saying the Wiz need some dogs. Marcus Smarts... Draymond Greens... even Desmond Banes. The closest we got to that was Montrez Harrell. We need a few of those guys. I hope that is considered in the draft too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Both are top 10 in defense. Surprisingly Boston is #2 and Miami #9. I would have had it the other way around. The Heat were actually a -0.5 rating in the regular season. Jimmy is just a different dude. I love listening to his press conferences. His last one, he actually changed "me" to "we." It just show the leader he tries to be and is. Beal doesn't have that quality. The best folks say about him is he's really nice. Really nice just doesn't cut it.

Additionally, I think it was Scott Jackson (Team 980) that was saying the Wiz need some dogs. Marcus Smarts... Draymond Greens... even Desmond Banes. The closest we got to that was Montrez Harrell. We need a few of those guys. I hope that is considered in the draft too. 

100% the Wizards are soft, even Gafford who’s really athletic as a center & a good shot blocker is soft.

They haven’t had a dog since Westbrook & before him Wall. True competitors.

I sure hope they draft one of the guys in the draft who’s just as big of a competitor on defense as he is on offense, that’s why Cason Wallace is growing on me. In an interview he said what sets him apart is his defense or something like that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/nba-draft-prospect-cason-wallace-explains-his-dog-mentality-defense?amp

“If you were to design a point guard prospect for the Wizards in a laboratory (can AI do this yet?), they might look a lot like Cason Wallace.

The Kentucky star is big for the position (6-foot-4), he's a physical defender, he forces turnovers (2.0 steals per game), he breaks down defenses off-the-dribble. He's even a solid 3-point shooter, having knocked down 34.6% on 4.0 attempts per game last season. In that regard, he's ahead of where most recent Wizards first-round picks not named Corey Kispert were at this stage in their development.

There are also some intangibles that stand out with Wallace. He plays with a competitive fire evident in how he celebrates big plays and his relentless approach to the defensive end.

“My dad, he always said defense was the will to want to. It’s something that stuck with me and it changed my game," Wallace said at last week's NBA Draft combine.

Wallace interviewed with the Wizards in Chicago. He also met with the Bulls, Nuggets, Lakers, Rockets and Spurs, among other teams.

One common theme he heard from teams was praise for his toughness on the defensive end. 

"[They said] I have a dog mentality that they want to see. I get after it on defense," Wallace said, adding: "It just gotta be in you. You can’t teach it. That’s who I am as a person and it’s always been there since I was a little one."

Edited by turtle28