Huge interest in Derrius Guice

Eric

On 4/14/2018 at 10:37 PM, turtle28 said:

I’m sorry, I will never agree that a guard is more important than a running back who - if he’s good to great - will touch the ball more than any offensive player on the field sans the QB.

Not touching the ball != not affecting the out of the play

If the guard whiffs on a block, the RB likely has no chance at making any positive yardage. Likewise, a pulling guard can make a small gain into a massive one.

The only reason the RB position has been devalued is because of injury and shorter careers vs other positions in the NFL and most teams do pass it more than they run it in today’s NFL.

Well ... yes. Thank you for effectively stating my argument as to why a guard is more valuable than a running back.

I don’t think you can say that Zach Martin and Travis Frederick - for as good as they are - are more important than Zeke Elliot. Look at the Cowboys in 2016 w/ Elliot vs last year w/o him. They had a totally different offense.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

DVOA for Dallas all season: 10th
DVOA for Dallas, weighting for later games (when Elliott had returned): 12th

I'd argue that the regression of and/or teams figuring out Dak Prescott was more to blame for the offense's decline.

Portis was more valuable than all of his OL except for Samuels, I could go on and on; same w/ Morris who wasn’t even a good receiver out of the backfield.

I'd put Jansen before Portis as well. At the same time, the interior of those Gibbs-led offenses were sub par. So, yes, elite RB >>> average (at best) interior lineman. Can we now move past this silly strawman argument?

RBs have more of an impact on the game than guards. I’ll also add that if a guard missed a block - which ours sometimes do - a great running back can make unblocked defender miss, something we haven’t had out of our running backs - except for Thompson  - since Portis. 

Since the Redskins don't have a "great" running back, they can go get a "decent" one and improve the line's ability to block for him.

Or focus on the passing game, which is what they seem to be doing anyway.

The 90s are not coming back in the NFL.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:32 AM, lavar703 said:

Oh Woz, come on brotha. There is no way a OG is more valuable than a RB. If you could have an elite guard or an elite RB you’d really take the guard? You’d rather have Scherff over Gurley? 

Yes, because A) the elite guard is unlikely to have a significant dropoff in terms of value-to-ability that a RB would (barring injury), B) the elite guard would be much more difficult to replace than the elite RB, and C) an elite guard will do more to mask the deficiencies of a non-elite RB than an elite RB will do for a non-elite guard.

Archived