Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

On 6/20/2020 at 6:56 PM, beekay414 said:

Managed to do one without trading (last one for the day, I promise) and I think I'd love this draft, even if we didn't get the top pick we wanted. No lottery, stayed at 6, 10 and 15.

#6 - Cole Perfetti, C (took him over Raymond)
#10 - Jake Sanderson,  LHD
#15 - Seth Jarvis, RW
#99 - Tristen Robins, RW
#124 - Kasper Puutio, RHD
#130 - Connor McClennon, RW (he won't make it this far - likely 70+ picks too long lol)
#161 - Oliver Fatul, LHD
#192 - Ville Ottavainen, RHD

I haven't decided what to do with Raymond yet. love the mentality, I Think he has the skill. May be further away from the others on the board. Perfetti's skating is really troubling for me. I know that some people have basically decided to move on from that and don't think it's an issue, but it's a scary thing. 

I'm really digging Jarvis lately for some reason. I'm really hoping that we can get him iwth that Vanouver pick (or if AZ's pick ends up later). 

Puutio was on Wheeler's top 10 sleepers list :D

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

@beekay414's boy Nybeck at 73, Martin Chromiak at 75, Evan Vierling at 90, Tristen Robins a HM.

Also the list has some weird fascination with defensive D-man.

Lol Mysak with a 2nd round grade, Nybeck that low and Robins not even top 93 is pure lunacy. 

Mysak behind Greig and Neighbours is one of the most ridiculous takes I've seen, yet. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I haven't decided what to do with Raymond yet. love the mentality, I Think he has the skill. May be further away from the others on the board. Perfetti's skating is really troubling for me. I know that some people have basically decided to move on from that and don't think it's an issue, but it's a scary thing. 

I'm really digging Jarvis lately for some reason. I'm really hoping that we can get him iwth that Vanouver pick (or if AZ's pick ends up later). 

Puutio was on Wheeler's top 10 sleepers list :D

Yeah, I don't know what it is but I'm just not overly intrigued by the Swedes. At least not enough to ignore Perfetti's ability. If we keep the Vancouver pick, I'm more willing to take the chance on Cole because we'll have two more first round picks and a crack at more impact talent. I'm just not in love with the Swedes haha. 

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Lol Mysak with a 2nd round grade, Nybeck that low and Robins not even top 93 is pure lunacy. 

Mysak behind Greig and Neighbours is one of the most ridiculous takes I've seen, yet. 

With Mysak it's a pattern of lazy scouting that drives me crazy. Oh a player's defensive game is their strongest trait? Probable 3rd liner. Same thing is happening with Byfield (that's why a few scouts had him 6th in Bobby Mac's rankings). If he's Lindros' size and doesn't play and skate like Lindros, he's obviously soft and needs to improve his skating. Same thing happened with Draisaitl too. So dumb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

High  on your boy Finley though 

21 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

With Mysak it's a pattern of lazy scouting that drives me crazy. Oh a player's defensive game is their strongest trait? Probable 3rd liner. Same thing is happening with Byfield (that's why a few scouts had him 6th in Bobby Mac's rankings). If he's Lindros' size and doesn't play and skate like Lindros, he's obviously soft and needs to improve his skating. Same thing happened with Draisaitl too. So dumb.

His ratings are based on what he has heard and been told from team sources and how they feel about a player, right?

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

His ratings are based on what he has heard and been told from team sources and how they feel about a player, right?

Yup mainly scouts and executives who tell him their teams rankings to varying details, and then he averages them out. It's the most accurate ranking there is (Button IIRC does really well too).

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If those are a reflection of how teams rate these guys, then I REALLY want to trade back from 10. 

10 is just a brutal spot anyway unless two teams take Askarov & Sanderson. IF they don't, there's no way in hell I want to stay at 10. I never want to be the first guy / first pick at the next tier, tbh. 

54 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If those are a reflection of how teams rate these guys, then I REALLY want to trade back from 10. 

Have you checked out hockey prospect's rating? It's as random as this and also takes opinions from scouts. I'm 100% certain some smaller forwards are going to get picked much later than they should. Your boy Nybeck is one, I honestly wouldn't be shocked to Rossi take a bit of a tumble either outside 10.

Eww. 

I seriously hate how much of an old boys club the NHL coaching cycle is. Seriously annoying. It's a damn washing machine where people just go through the cycle again and again and again. At least we kicked the tires on Gronborg though. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Eww. 

I seriously hate how much of an old boys club the NHL coaching cycle is. Seriously annoying. It's a damn washing machine where people just go through the cycle again and again and again. At least we kicked the tires on Gronborg though. 

Interesting talk from devils daily that he may be the cheap, babysitting bridge coach