Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

There's a certain amusement factor to the fact that Hossa gets elected to the HOF today while still under contract. 

Sad that Patty didn't get it...or Alfredsson to be honest. If Alfredsson gets in, I know Patty is not far behind. That Lowe selection is pretty bad, I will admit. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

There's a certain amusement factor to the fact that Hossa gets elected to the HOF today while still under contract. 

Sad that Patty didn't get it...or Alfredsson to be honest. If Alfredsson gets in, I know Patty is not far behind. That Lowe selection is pretty bad, I will admit. 

First thought was... Who the hell is Kevin Lowe lol

25 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

First thought was... Who the hell is Kevin Lowe lol

A solid defenseman who happened to play on a stacked 80s oilers team and win another cup with the rangers. So he's got five cups and that's pretty much the reason he went in. 

It's kind of like if the NFL decided to put Ted Bruschi in the hall

12 hours ago, Forge said:

If we happened to end up with the #2 pick in this draft, I have a strong pull to take Stutzle over Byfield, I won't lie. Though I'd love to have some size playing with Jack 

Eh, I'm not buying it. I don't understand why Byfield is all of a sudden is falling out of favor...feels like prospect fatigue to me. Byfield isn't even 18 yet for another 2 months FFS. He's 6'4, skates extremely well and is a true C. He's everything we need and would allow us to push Hughes to the wing down the line.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, I'm not buying it. I don't understand why Byfield is all of a sudden is falling out of favor...feels like prospect fatigue to me. Byfield isn't even 18 yet for another 2 months FFS. He's 6'4, skates extremely well and is a true C. He's everything we need and would allow us to push Hughes to the wing down the line.

Eric Lindros syndrome too. The big thing scouts continue to say he 'struggles' with is consistent shift-to-shift impact and not physical for his size. They are hoping a 6'4 C who can skate really well should be hitting guys out of the game. They ignore that having a massive wingspan really helps with puck protection. Draisaitl had the same complaints in his draft year, ignoring the fact he was more skilled than 95% of his draft class. Byfield is going through the same thing. There are plent of dinosaurs in the NHL scouting community.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

A solid defenseman who happened to play on a stacked 80s oilers team and win another cup with the rangers. So he's got five cups and that's pretty much the reason he went in. 

It's kind of like if the NFL decided to put Ted Bruschi in the hall

Yeah I'm an Oiler fan and I know Lowe was an integral part of the dynasty, but he shouldn't be the HHOF. Great player, loved Edmonton and the Oilers, but individually shouldn't be the HHOF. This reeks of old boys club or establishment helping vote in one of their own. He's like if Hjalmarsson gets in due to his role with the Blackhawks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I really like stutzle. Has more to do with that than any sort of prospect fatigue on byfield, but damn stutzle is smooth

As part of the agreement, the salary cap will be kept close to the current $81.5 million for the next three seasons. There is potential for it to go up $1 million in 2022-23.

That's going to suck for some teams. Could potentially open up some good short term rental possibilities on a one year deal for us though

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Compliance buy outs are coming. Has to be.

Most recent reports are that owners are dead set against the amnesty buyouts, so we will see. This was my first thought as well though. One of the reasons for the cap is parity, so this could certainly force that to happen lol. 

Someone brought up the point that owners probably love this because of the split it will cause with the players in the union, especially since CBOs may increase required escrows.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Most recent reports are that owners are dead set against the amnesty buyouts, so we will see. This was my first thought as well though. One of the reasons for the cap is parity, so this could certainly force that to happen lol. 

Someone brought up the point that owners probably love this because of the split it will cause with the players in the union, especially since CBOs may increase required escrows.

Yeah this will definitely cause a split between players. I know Panarin has spoken out because he stands to lose a fair bit of money. My thinking was with the Seattle expansion looming, which normally includes a bump in revenue, cap and salaries, we'd get a compliance buy out in return for a flat cap for 3 seasons. However I could be wrong as business of hockey is no bueno.

Also can we also appreciate this flat cap may adversely affect the Maple Leafs and their ability to contend? They have half their cap tied up to 4 fowards.

24 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Also can we also appreciate this flat cap may adversely affect the Maple Leafs and their ability to contend? They have half their cap tied up to 4 fowards.

I feel like this was the team that came immediately to mind, especially when you think of the guys that they will need to extend during that window (including Sandin, whom @beekay414 will tell you I was a big fan of during his draft year). 

Here's the problem for Toronto as well...the guys like Kerfoot and Johnsson that they thought they could unload for like 2/3rd round picks as marginal cap dumps? Yeah, that's just really not going to be a thing any more because I believe teams with cap space will have much better players on the table as cap dumps. Teams are going to have to unload contracts. If I'm the Devils, or Ottawa or Buffalo, why am I taking on marginal players such as those when I could secure much better ones? They are basically going to have to give those type of guys away and I still really don't have an interest in them. I'd put in a lowball offer on Kapanen though. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

@beekay414

Would you rather: 

Keep our picks at 6/10

Or would you rather win a top 3 pick with our selection, but Arizona wins a top three pick as well and we lose their pick until next season? 

6/10

Two picks this year, two next. 

Edited by beekay414