Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

What would you take from the lightning to take on Callahan's contract? Would you take jt Miller and give up like a third? Hefty one year addition in salary, but Callahan of the books after next year. Or Would their first be worth it?

Considering I'm a huge fan of this draft, I'd probably take their 1st. Not super interested in the rest of their assets. Miller is solid but I'm not sure I want to pay my 3rd line C $5.2 Million for the next 4 years. Reddysh doesn't seem like he's anything special. Not sure what else they'd offer. Tyler Johnson isn't waiving to come here. They aren't trading Gourde nor is he waiving. Same with Palat. Gabriel Fortier probably isn't worth it. 

I'd take Cal Foote but I don't see them doing that. So, give me their first and hope we can land someone like Bobby Brink or Lassi Thomson.

Edited by beekay414

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Considering I'm a huge fan of this draft, I'd probably take their 1st. Not super interested in the rest of their assets. Miller is solid but I'm not sure I want to pay my 3rd line C $5.2 Million for the next 4 years. Reddysh doesn't seem like he's anything special. Not sure what else they'd offer. Tyler Johnson isn't waiving to come here. They aren't trading Gourde nor is he waiving. Same with Palat. Gabriel Fortier probably isn't worth it. 

I'd take Cal Foote but I don't see them doing that. So, give me their first and hope we can land someone like Bobby Brink or Lassi Thomson.

I think I would too. Callahan instantly becomes this year's Brian Boyle, but at a slightly suped up salary (and is a wonder). But he can still kill penalties, be the locker room guy, etc. 

And I'm with you on the draft. Would love to take that pick and potentially turn it into someone like Seider, or soderstrom on defense, hell, I wouldn't even hate Spencer Knight in goal (would probably prefer to take kochetkov n round three though). But that 27 spot I think I'd going to be a sweet spot for a legit defensive prospect

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I'm with you on the draft. Would love to take that pick and potentially turn it into someone like Seider, or soderstrom on defense, hell, I wouldn't even hate Spencer Knight in goal (would probably prefer to take kochetkov n round three though). But that 27 spot I think I'd going to be a sweet spot for a legit defensive prospect

Lassi Thomson, Ryan Johnson, Alex Vlasic, Mikko Kokkonen would all be there, one would think. Otherwise you pray for a free fall for someone like Thomas Harley or Cam York.

I dunno. I'd take Callahan for a shot at making that pick though. Unless they wanna give us Foote lol.

Watching Hughes' IIHF highlights. He went down a lot but his skating is elite. So smooth, so fast. Youngest player on team USA and, when he was on the ice, he had two defenders basically hawk-eyeing him. He's the top pick. I don't care about his body size. Kakko is great in his own right but I don't think you can take the winger over the centerman. This isn't Ovechkin vs Malkin. 

33 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Watching Hughes' IIHF highlights. He went down a lot but his skating is elite. So smooth, so fast. Youngest player on team USA and, when he was on the ice, he had two defenders basically hawk-eyeing him. He's the top pick. I don't care about his body size. Kakko is great in his own right but I don't think you can take the winger over the centerman. This isn't Ovechkin vs Malkin. 

I am starting to lean that way as well, and you know what a fan of Kaako I am. Almost no chance that dude flops. But I think Hughes is definitely going to be Patrick Kane as a reasonable comparable. The more I look at what Hughes has done, the more I realize just how impressive it has been. As impressive as what Kakko did this year in Liiga at his age. Is the league a little more watered down than when Matthews and the like played there? Sure. Is the US national team completely and unbelievably stacked this year? For sure. But I think that's in no small part thanks to Hughes...he makes people around him better. 

I think this is more akin to McDavid / Eichel or probably more appropriately, Matthews and Laine the following year than it is Malkin / Ovechkin. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am starting to lean that way as well, and you know what a fan of Kaako I am. Almost no chance that dude flops. But I think Hughes is definitely going to be Patrick Kane as a reasonable comparable. The more I look at what Hughes has done, the more I realize just how impressive it has been. As impressive as what Kakko did this year in Liiga at his age. Is the league a little more watered down than when Matthews and the like played there? Sure. Is the US national team completely and unbelievably stacked this year? For sure. But I think that's in no small part thanks to Hughes...he makes people around him better. 

I think this is more akin to McDavid / Eichel or probably more appropriately, Matthews and Laine the following year than it is Malkin / Ovechkin. 

I was just comparing C to Winger. 

• Like 1

This is a big summer for Taylor Hall, who has one year left on his contract with the New Jersey Devils.

There’s been healthy communication between his camp led by agent Darren Ferris and Devils GM Ray Shero, although I’m told that things have not yet progressed to the actual beginning of negotiations. So, no numbers yet.

Really where things stand as of now is that Hall is contemplating his future and at some point will re-convene with Ferris to decide how they want to proceed.

But I also don’t think this is a “Sign on July 1 or you’re traded” scenario. I don’t think Shero wants to get boxed in by artificial deadlines. As long as there’s a chance Hall might eventually be willing to sign an extension, I think Shero would want to keep that window open. In other words, if it means waiting until November or January to get it done, so be it.

Obviously, it’s a different thing if Hall decides outright that he wants to go to the UFA market in July 2020 and lets the Devils know this summer. That probably changes things for Shero depending on the kind of trade offers he would receive.

But at this hour, there’s no reason to believe Hall isn’t interested in entering negotiations. There certainly hasn’t been any indication otherwise.

Don't love that they aren't even discussing numbers or anything yet, but healthy communication is good

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know the dude is a quality goal scorer, but yeesh. 

Just bring in Eberle for 1/3 the cost and much less term. 

Or, better yet. Save the money on a forward and give Boqvist the green light as our 2nd line LW. 

Edited by beekay414

I have a strong feeling that we're going to sign Jordan Eberle to a bounce back type deal, even if for a season, and plug him in at RW on the 1st line, moving Bratt to 2nd line LW. That way, when he does inevitably disappear for stretches, it isn't killing an entire line like it would if you plugged him in on the 2nd line. Hall and Hischier are good enough to carry the line. It would be en fuego when he's on, though.

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri

Is pretty damn enticing. Bratt playing with Hughes would literally force him to shoot more and only good could come from that.

I know it's a pipe dream but if we can get Eberle on a solid deal and then land Karlsson, we're going to make some immediate noise.

Edited by beekay414

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Coleman
Wood-Zajac-Bastian/Anderson

That, right there, is a god damn squad. 

Haven't quite worked out the defense though. Got a strong feeling it's going to look vastly different next season. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Really wanna get him signed but it's not looking likely. Maybe we'll re-pick him with one of our 1030923409324809323294 picks lol.

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if he gets drafted, so I assume that he ends up overseas or signing with someone as a free agent. Kind of sucks because I thought that he did develop nicely, if slowly. 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if he gets drafted, so I assume that he ends up overseas or signing with someone as a free agent. Kind of sucks because I thought that he did develop nicely, if slowly. 

Use our seventh then. Keep him here. I like him.