Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I have a strong feeling that we're going to sign Jordan Eberle to a bounce back type deal, even if for a season, and plug him in at RW on the 1st line, moving Bratt to 2nd line LW. That way, when he does inevitably disappear for stretches, it isn't killing an entire line like it would if you plugged him in on the 2nd line. Hall and Hischier are good enough to carry the line. It would be en fuego when he's on, though.

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri

Is pretty damn enticing. Bratt playing with Hughes would literally force him to shoot more and only good could come from that.

I know it's a pipe dream but if we can get Eberle on a solid deal and then land Karlsson, we're going to make some immediate noise.

I think that Eberle is a really strong candidate for us. Depends on the deal type, but given that he and Hall are like best friends, it can really only help us in both scenarios.

I just want one top 6 winger, and then I'm pretty happy with our offense to be perfectly honest, provided everyone stays healthy. It's the defense that will be under hte microscope at that point. 

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Coleman
Wood-Zajac-Bastian/Anderson

That, right there, is a god damn squad. 

Haven't quite worked out the defense though. Got a strong feeling it's going to look vastly different next season. 

I'd be pretty stoked with that forward grouping, do be honest. When you consider what Severson brings offensively, Vats' inclusion, and what Butcher / Smith can do quarterbacking a power play, I'd be absolutely pissed if we didn't have a pretty good offense with that lineup lol

Lots of reports about Hall continuing to dig in and not relent on deciding on an extension right now. The rumor that he doesn't want to sign here at all is completely bogus, but the fact that he's going ton continue to wait does bug me. I'm almost at that point where I Think you may look around. There are some really intriguing guys out there who apparently aren't super happy. I'd love to grab a high pick in this draft (the CO trade for #4, I'd love), but there were also rumors that Laine isn't happy in Winnipeg (who is, apparently?), not to mention a score of other restricted free agents and the like. Could be a very interesting scenario with Hall, and I think that we could not just get futures for him, but actual players that would help this team. I hate to move on from him, but given Shero's tendencies as a GM, I really wonder if we are going to do enough this off season to make him happy and be willing to sign an extension before the season starts. 

I'm definitely not opposed to shopping around at some point. 

Apparently Puljujarvi wants out in Edmonton, officially. I can't lie - I'm very intrigued by him, but at the same time, I Don't think that he's going to get any better. I'd be curious to see what it would take to acquire him. I'd definitely give out some spare change type parts for him just to throw things against the wall. Something that centered on Mueller going to Edmonton? I think I'm good with that just to take a shot on him. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, Forge said:

Apparently Puljujarvi wants out in Edmonton, officially. I can't lie - I'm very intrigued by him, but at the same time, I Don't think that he's going to get any better. I'd be curious to see what it would take to acquire him. I'd definitely give out some spare change type parts for him just to throw things against the wall. Something that centered on Mueller going to Edmonton? I think I'm good with that just to take a shot on him. 

Take him. Sooner this divorce happens for the Oilers, the better. The cost is going to be a 2nd or 3rd + decent bottom six forward or a prospect in a similar boat. Most Oiler fans are hoping for Roslovic from the Jets if he wants out.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Take him. Sooner this divorce happens for the Oilers, the better. The cost is going to be a 2nd or 3rd + decent bottom six forward or a prospect in a similar boat. Most Oiler fans are hoping for Roslovic from the Jets if he wants out.

I think I could work something at that price point if I were the devils. I think his upside is worth the risk, and that's not a ton to ask. Miles Wood can fill the roster spot / bottom 6 forward + a third or something. Mueller is a bottom pairing defenseman if you need a lefty. I probably wouldn't trade Zacha (similar boat prospect) if only because i think he's an elite penalty killer if nothing else, but Mikey Mcleod would be someone I'd be open to moving for him as well. I kind of hope the devils get in on that. I think the risk is worth the cost. 

The devils fans on HF are a funny lot, especially with what they think that Hall should generate return wise. There's a lot of Hall speculation and hypothetical trades out there for him. Personally? I think we should shop him a little bit, even before July 1 and we know for sure whether or not he wants to sign here. But someone made a 3 team trade offer between Nashville, Toronto and New Jersey, and I thought the it was pretty good offer, and if we do trade Hall, it's the type of trade that I would expect us to make. 

I won't get into the entire trade, but basically, we gave up: Carrick, Hall, retained 3.5M on Subban salary for Toronto. 

And in return, we get: 

Eeli Tolvanen, Nashville's #1 / #2 prospect depending on whom you believe. Former first round pick (#30, 2017). Yes, I wish that he were more active at the NHL level (only 4 games this year) given his draft year +2, but he's still playing well at the AHL level. Not the biggest need for us as a left handed left winger, but he's talent. 

Kasperi Kapanen. I've been slightly underwhelmed with him in his career, but at this point, I think he's at least a bottom 6 forward with potential to be better. The weird thing is that he plays his off wing. Not sure why that is. He's another lefty, but I think that he plays right wing. He's an RFA, so we'd have a chance to get him locked up for a decent period of time (5 years or so), at a reasonable cost. I'd assume that he gets something in the 4 range if you're going that long. 

Jeremy Bracco. Okay, he's a little limited with regards to his overall game, former second round pick for the leafs, but he fits a perfect need (Right handed shot, right side wing), and the dude is a point machine in the AHL, finishing second in the league this year. Older than I would prefer, and that's certainly a put off (22 years old, hasn't played a single game in the NHL yet, which is bizarre given his ahl production). There's a good chance that he's a one trick pony, but if he's solid at that trick? Pretty happy with that. Former second round pick, but that was half a decade ago. 

Timothy Liljegren. Former first round pick hasn't made it to the NHL level yet. I don't think that he's lit the world on fire at the AHL level, but he's got skill. He's a right handed defender, so at the very least I think that he could come in and be an upgrade on Santini at this point. 

Then we get 2 second round picks. 

Now, I get if some people don't love that deal, maybe because they just don't love the prospects, but a lot of people said that it was an awful trade offer and the value wasn't close. Seriously, what are people expecting us to get in a return for Hall? Mark Stone, whom I think is a pretty good comparable / starting point for Hall's value (w/an extension), returned one good prospect, a second round pick, and that's largely it (they gave up a roster fodder player in lindholm, but he's got no value at all). I think this deal would represent some pretty good value in all respects. Yes, we run the risk that this trade goes really badly south and in 4 years they are all nothing but spare parts / ahl fodder / off the team, as only Kapanen has any real NHL experience, but at the same time, something like this is something I would really like becaues they all have talent (as evidenced by their draft slot), Bracco is the oldest player at 22, and if we get lucky, this becomes the Bartolo Colon trade for us that sets us up for years. But I don't understand how the guys on HF think that this is a terrible offer in my opinion. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Forge said:

I think I could work something at that price point if I were the devils. I think his upside is worth the risk, and that's not a ton to ask. Miles Wood can fill the roster spot / bottom 6 forward + a third or something. Mueller is a bottom pairing defenseman if you need a lefty. I probably wouldn't trade Zacha (similar boat prospect) if only because i think he's an elite penalty killer if nothing else, but Mikey Mcleod would be someone I'd be open to moving for him as well. I kind of hope the devils get in on that. I think the risk is worth the cost. 

Oilers get: Miles Wood, Mike McLeod/John Quenneville, Dallas 2019 3rd
Devils get: Jesse Puljujarvi, Ethan Bear

Definitely not trading Zacha. He's going to be an elite PK guy, I think. He's definitely Zajac's long term replacement.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:04 PM, Forge said:

Now, I get if some people don't love that deal, maybe because they just don't love the prospects, but a lot of people said that it was an awful trade offer and the value wasn't close. Seriously, what are people expecting us to get in a return for Hall? Mark Stone, whom I think is a pretty good comparable / starting point for Hall's value (w/an extension), returned one good prospect, a second round pick, and that's largely it (they gave up a roster fodder player in lindholm, but he's got no value at all). I think this deal would represent some pretty good value in all respects. Yes, we run the risk that this trade goes really badly south and in 4 years they are all nothing but spare parts / ahl fodder / off the team, as only Kapanen has any real NHL experience, but at the same time, something like this is something I would really like becaues they all have talent (as evidenced by their draft slot), Bracco is the oldest player at 22, and if we get lucky, this becomes the Bartolo Colon trade for us that sets us up for years. But I don't understand how the guys on HF think that this is a terrible offer in my opinion. 

I get it from the unproven standpoint. Lots of potential talent but nothing proven whatsoever in that deal for a former Hart trophy winner. But, I also get it from the other side. You can either get one really good prospect and fodder or you can shoot the moon and try to nail everything in the return. Sometimes quantity ends up being better than quality. Guess they are just bitter because we've gotten spurned by high draft picks turning out to be nothing more than our own AHL fodder (McLeod, Q). Hesitant with that return but also okay with it. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I get it from the unproven standpoint. Lots of potential talent but nothing proven whatsoever in that deal for a former Hart trophy winner. But, I also get it from the other side. You can either get one really good prospect and fodder or you can shoot the moon and try to nail everything in the return. Sometimes quantity ends up being better than quality. Guess they are just bitter because we've gotten spurned by high draft picks turning out to be nothing more than our own AHL fodder (McLeod, Q). Hesitant with that return but also okay with it. 

I mentioned in my comments with regards to it that is want a first in there instead of one of the seconds. Those would be late picks, so a late first isn't all that great value wise.

But yeah, I agree with you. I think the return on Hall is one good prospect (if it were the isles, say Dobson) and then maybe like a two and a roster filler it something. Or you can go the quantity route. Tolvanen is the preds to prospect by most accounts, so not like it's nothing. The guys from Toronto, bracco in particular, are kind of meh... Just upside guys for sure, but at least kap is a middle six type it looks like.

Obviously that trade never happens, but really was surprised by the backlash a lot of devils fans had for it. 

That being said, I really hope we put the whole Hall think to bed quickly. If we haven't started on terms by July, I'm kind of having the opinion that we ship him out

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Alright, now we can move on to the offseason. I'm so ready to see what we do. 

I feel like the first point of business will be a defenseman. I just have to believe that. I could see us acquiring a middle six forward if we aren't 100% sure that Boqvist is going to be able to come in and play top 6 minutes, but the defense is the bigger thing, I think. This team got into the playoffs 2 years ago on the back of a herculean effort by Hall. Last year, we were pretty awful. It's clear that the team, as structured, is not a true cup contender at the current point in time. If we want to keep Hall, and compete, upgrades have to be made, and I think that starts defensively. Problem is, I really don't love anything that is available out there LOL.