Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think you consider it all offseason. If you're Shero, you have a good feeling as to what's going on so you keep your options open. This may be drastic but I'm not going into the season without his contract situation cleared up. He's too much of an injury risk to risk waiting until the deadline to move him.

Honestly, the longer this offseason has worn on, and the more I've thought about him moving forward, the more open I've become to trading him. I love me some Hall, and that year two seasons ago was pretty magical...but we can't get JT'd on this. And honestly, I don't hate the idea of landing a haul of some sort for him. Elite prospect + 1st + bonus? Given how young our team is? I'm kind of okay with something like that. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, the longer this offseason has worn on, and the more I've thought about him moving forward, the more open I've become to trading him. I love me some Hall, and that year two seasons ago was pretty magical...but we can't get JT'd on this. And honestly, I don't hate the idea of landing a haul of some sort for him. Elite prospect + 1st + bonus? Given how young our team is? I'm kind of okay with something like that. 

I'm more than fine with that and it's something Shero better seriously consider. I love Hall but I'm not letting him hold our team hostage.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

I'm more than fine with that and it's something Shero better seriously consider. I love Hall but I'm not letting him hold our team hostage.

Package him to the leafs for Marner lol. They get another year at a reasonable cost, push the cap problems out further into the future. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Package him to the leafs for Marner lol. They get another year at a reasonable cost, push the cap problems out further into the future. 

Do we really wanna pay Marner $11 Million though? I'd rather go after a more friendly contract first. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Do we really wanna pay Marner $11 Million though? I'd rather go after a more friendly contract first. 

Yes, I would. I mean, otherwise, why are we even entertaining extending Hall? He's going to get something comparable. If there were a deal that could be worked out (we'd have to add something to Hall to get Marner, no doubt), I have no problem making that deal. Hall is going to cost around 11 million as well. He's 27 and injury prone. Marner is 22, hasn't been hurt, and scored 94 points last year. The biggest problem with unloading Hall is finding a guy that can put up 90-100 points. By acquiring Marner, we no longer have that problem. 

If I could get Marner, take Horton's contract for them this year (that would allow them to re-sign Kapanen without incident) and maybe throw in a guy like Mueller (to replace the departing Gardiner for them), I have no problem with that. 

That being said, I'm sure it's far more likely that they unload Nylander to someone at some point. I'd potentially be interested in something like a Butcher for Nylander deal. I like Butcher, just not a ton, his RFA deal shouldn't be huge, and he'd be a good replacement for Gardiner for them as well while probably saving a couple of million. 

Trade Hall to Colorado for #4 overall, Martin Kaut and a flier. 

Trading him to Colorado for 4 is actually one of my favorite deals, I just don't know how it gets done given that an extension can't be signed before july 1. But the Avs have all sorts of cap space, are already a contender, and that would really put them into full blown win now mode with the potential for a stanley cup with that offense. I feel like they are able to talk extension before hand, so I don't know why they couldn't have one in place. 

I like this deal even more because I really think Turcotte goes #3, which mean Byram is there at 4. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes, I would. I mean, otherwise, why are we even entertaining extending Hall? He's going to get something comparable. If there were a deal that could be worked out (we'd have to add something to Hall to get Marner, no doubt), I have no problem making that deal. Hall is going to cost around 11 million as well. He's 27 and injury prone. Marner is 22, hasn't been hurt, and scored 94 points last year. The biggest problem with unloading Hall is finding a guy that can put up 90-100 points. By acquiring Marner, we no longer have that problem. 

If I could get Marner, take Horton's contract for them this year (that would allow them to re-sign Kapanen without incident) and maybe throw in a guy like Mueller (to replace the departing Gardiner for them), I have no problem with that. 

That being said, I'm sure it's far more likely that they unload Nylander to someone at some point. I'd potentially be interested in something like a Butcher for Nylander deal. I like Butcher, just not a ton, his RFA deal shouldn't be huge, and he'd be a good replacement for Gardiner for them as well while probably saving a couple of million. 

Fair enough. Like you said, this offseason just needs to start. All this speculating is driving me nuts. 

Just now, Forge said:

Trading him to Colorado for 4 is actually one of my favorite deals, I just don't know how it gets done given that an extension can't be signed before july 1. But the Avs have all sorts of cap space, are already a contender, and that would really put them into full blown win now mode with the potential for a stanley cup with that offense. I feel like they are able to talk extension before hand, so I don't know why they couldn't have one in place. 

I like this deal even more because I really think Turcotte goes #3, which mean Byram is there at 4. 

Yep. I think it would allow Colorado to take massive advantage of MacKinnon's ridiculously team friendly deal. There's really no reason why they shouldn't entertain the thought. 

If we could pull Byram, Kaut and a flier for an expiring Hall, I'd about die.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yep. I think it would allow Colorado to take massive advantage of MacKinnon's ridiculously team friendly deal. There's really no reason why they shouldn't entertain the thought. 

If we could pull Byram, Kaut and a flier for an expiring Hall, I'd about die.

Me too. I know that the Devils board things we would get the moon, sun and stars for Hall, but I just don't know if that is going to happen. I mean, looking around at some of these deals...they haven't been kind for the team shipping off the super star. The Sens got kind of a crap deal. None of the prospects they got were super duper great or anything, and the first round pick is a late selection. They opted for quantity over quality. Mark Stone is a lower end comp to a Hall deal, and he got a very good prospect, a second round pick and a roster filler. That's complete crap. And that was with STone being extended lol. 

I think a haul like that would be a dream. 

• Like 1

Also, I amended my offseason again lol. I decided to go with Marc Methot instead of Jordie Benn. Methot has been injured the last two years but he may be worth a 1 year deal to see what he's got. He's huge and that's something we need. So...updated:

~Traded Mirco Mueller's RFA rights and Boston's 2020 4th rounder to Tampa for RW Ryan Callahan and Tampa's 2019 1st rounder
~Traded Dallas's 2019 3rd rounder and Connor Carricks RFA rights to a cap strapped Vegas for RD Colin Miller
~Signed LD Marc Methot to a 1 year/$3.5 Million contract
~Signed RW Joonas Donskoi to a 5 year/$25 Million contract

Hall | Hischier | Palmieri
Bratt | Hughes | Donskoi
Boqvist | Zacha | Coleman
Wood | Zajac | Callahan

Butcher | Vatanen
Smith | Severson
Greene/Methot | Miller
Greene/Methot as 7th dman

Blackwood | Schneider in a 50-50 split 

Notes: The left side of the blue line isn't fixed in any way. Like, Butcher wouldn't be our top pair LHD. We'd rotate and plug and play based on situation. The only "fixed" pairing I'd want is Smith with Severson to see what they could develop together considering that may be our top line pairing in the future.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, I amended my offseason again lol. I decided to go with Marc Methot instead of Jordie Benn. Methot has been injured the last two years but he may be worth a 1 year deal to see what he's got. He's huge and that's something we need. So...updated:

~Traded Mirco Mueller's RFA rights and Boston's 2020 4th rounder to Tampa for RW Ryan Callahan and Tampa's 2019 1st rounder
~Traded Dallas's 2019 3rd rounder and Connor Carricks RFA rights to a cap strapped Vegas for RD Colin Miller
~Signed LD Marc Methot to a 1 year/$3.5 Million contract
~Signed RW Joonas Donskoi to a 5 year/$4.125 Million contract

Hall | Hischier | Palmieri
Bratt | Hughes | Donskoi
Boqvist | Zacha | Coleman
Wood | Zajac | Callahan

Butcher | Vatanen
Smith | Severson
Greene/Methot | Miller
Greene/Methot as 7th dman

Blackwood | Schneider in a 50-50 split 

Notes: The left side of the blue line isn't fixed in any way. Like, Butcher wouldn't be our top pair LHD. We'd rotate and plug and play based on situation. The only "fixed" pairing I'd want is Smith with Severson to see what they could develop together considering that may be our top line pairing in the future.

I don't mind methot as a 7th D. It's basically going to be a league minimum deal anyway. Your right in that he's the type of defenseman we need. We get bullied down low

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't mind methot as a 7th D. It's basically going to be a league minimum deal anyway. Your right in that he's the type of defenseman we need. We get bullied down low

Well, I gave him the ole Jersey overpay with our cap space just to get him here. Gave him $3.5 Million. Bit much but, hey, we're Jersey lol.

We'd still have $8 Million to play around with in season should we make an unexpected playoff run.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well, I gave him the ole Jersey overpay with our cap space just to get him here. Gave him $3.5 Million. Bit much but, hey, we're Jersey lol.

We'd still have $8 Million to play around with in season should we make an unexpected playoff run.

If healthy, I think we are definitely playoff contenders with Hall here. I feel weirdly good about the goalie situation, and I think some minor improvements defensively at least put us in contention

• Like 1

Also, I think splitting Greene's and Methot's minutes up would be wise and keep them fresher. We don't need Greene out there for 20+ minutes a night. We need to take a depth approach to our defense, not a traditional "shut down #1" type approach. We simply don't have the tools to do that yet.

• Like 1