Character vs Value

Scout

12 hours ago, Forge said:

To answer OP, it's going to vary from player to player. There are simply too many variables. Talent base plays a role. The overall risk layering with regards to what kind of character issues, work ethic, attitude, etc. Isolated or recurring? How significant were the character issues? Etc, etc. 

Yeah.  Pretty much this.  And it's one of the toughest aspects in trying to get a read on players as an armchair draft enthusiast.  Even many of the bigger "draftniks" simply don't have access to the same resources and opportunities in really getting to know these prospects and investigating the whole story behind their "issues".  In a lot of ways, it's similar to medical issues.

Ultimately it kinda boils down to trying to weed out the "stupid mistake" incidents, vs the "repeat offenders" and "troubling pattern of behaviour" guys.  And it's tough to peg down a specific value for a specific player and specific set of issues.  Character ends up being a catch-all for a lot of totally different elements in a player's mental makeup and habits on and off the field, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

At the end of the day...an extremely talented knucklehead that flunks out of the league on various "character issues" has zero value.  At what pick in the draft are you willing to risk a high possibility of getting absolutely zilch from the pick?  Then on the other end...sometimes those less talented and less "valuable" players carve out a niche in the league through sheer force of will and character.  Then there's a whole gamut of permutations and combinations of "character" in between.  And then there are the trainwrecks that you simply don't want anywhere near your locker room, period...at any value.  Just not worth the risk of dragging anyone else down with them...no matter how "talented".

It's complicated.

The simple fact is we have no real way of weighing character issues since we are not usually privy to all that a player has done, we do not get to interview him, to ask his coaches about him, to ask the players he played with about him or observe him in practice too often. Pro scouts can go all; the way back to his high school coaches and players to ascertain character issues and all we have is rumours unless it involves a crime.

Pretty well the same for medical issues as we have no real access to medical reports by doctors.

I base most of my rankings on film and games I watched,but I rarely study film until I have seen the All Star games, the Senior Bowl practices and the Combine. Armed with that information, I can fully judge what I see on film, without it, film is really not all that useful!!!

Archived