Mock 5 days before draft

soflbillsfan

Now that the schedule is out Bills and Giants agree to a trade the day of the draft

Bills get: Pick 2, 66, 2019 5th rd

Giants get 12, 53 and 96 this year....2019 1st rd pick and 4th rd

Point Charts do not necessarily come into play as this years draft with the Qbs is in high demand and bills want to land their guy. Also noting that Jets trade with Colts did not set the market for the trade as every agreement is different and comes with no template based off another teams trade. Bills essentially move up to get their qb but take a big hit with next years 1st gone because the giants are running the risk that it will be much better then this year's value of pick 22. Bills also swap their first 2nd rd pick for giants 3rd rd pick and losing out on their second 3rd rd pick this year. Bills swap future late round picks giving up 2019 4th rd but in return get giants 2019 5th rd pick

2 Josh Rosen QB UCLA- Bills land their franchise qb hopefully for the next 10 years

22 bills trade out with Browns getting picks 33, 34, and bills give up 22 and 117, browns move up to land Derrius Guice Rb LSU (Browns go out with a bang landing Josh Allen, Bradley Chubb, and Guice) 

33 Leighton Vander Esch MLB Boise St- Not only do the bills land their franchise qb but also land one of the most important pieces on Defense

34 Harrison Phillips DT Stanford- with Kyle Williams likely done after this year Phillips can become the guy they need to anchor that defense next to Star for the next few years as well as rotate in this year giving Kyle a chance to last through the entire season without slowing down.

56 Frank Ragnow C Arkansas whether he plays center or Guard it is up to who wins it out between Bodine/Groy/Ragnow at center.

65 Carlton Davis CB Auburn- future pairing for Tre White can be dangerous

66 Josh Sweat DE FSU- 5 star player going in to college he has the ability to be a Clowney type player at the next level but with injury plagued college career and coming out early he has dropped. Will be a rotational guy but could become the star pass rusher if he stays healthy and can take over Hughes position in the future. Could be a high risk giving that shaq lawson is an injury plagued player but they are comfortable with the move

173 Shaquem Griffin OLB UCF: Bills need an OLB for depth and this guy brings heart, I do not expect this to happen but I wanted to add him to my mock simply cause Im rooting for him at the next level.

I know people will not like this mock one of the reasons is not answering the WR position, after reviewing what is out there it didnt make any sense as the 2nd wave of WR outside of the top 3 are slot type receivers having kerley and Zay inside adding another wouldnt be ideal at this point. They wait until next year to bulk up the younger wr corps, and go out in free agency and bring in a guy like Jeremy Maclin or the infamous Dez Bryant (dont want him just throwing it out there since they have mentioned about being interested in him). I also expect Incognito to come back for one more season as I think it was a childish and knee jerk reaction on his part after the debacle that went on with his restructure. Beane accepts this as the team does need to have LG support for Shady and AJ this year. Would be willing to cut him before season starts if he acts out or if Groy or Ragnow show they can handle the LG position.

Still don't see the Giants passing on selecting their QB of the future, so doubt that trade happens. However, if these trades come together like you mocked, those 1st 4 picks are pure gold! The rest I simply just don't know enough about, but we certainly need depth at those positions anyway.

QB - Got the best pure passer available in Rosen...and should also fit with what Daboll is used to working with. Rosen can compete to start immediately, but I think McCarron get the initial nod.

MLB - Given Vander Esch's ability to cover and play sideline-to-sideline this is probably the best match for McDermott's D. Starter from Day 1.

DT - Phillips can flat out play and to say we have a need to groom someone to play inside on the DL is an understatement. He will be rotating in immediately, but doubt he gets immediate start.

C/G - Putting Ragnow into the mix with Bodine and Groy, our LG and C positions should be OK, with whoever is left out able to team up with Miller and provide backup...also to Ducasse at RG. Are we set inside for a while? No. But this will be acceptable this year. We will consider upgrades at all 3 inside OL positions next year and act accordingly if/when needed.

I would absolutely love this draft, again though, I see the Giants selecting a QB this year with the 2nd pick, allowing that player to learn from Eli for 1 year, before trading/releasing Manning in 2019...for a cost of $6.2 mil in dead Cap...worst case scenario.

13 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I think that is way undervaluing pick 2.

I dont necessarily think that is being undervalued as they land a 2019 1st rd pick and based on the schedule the bills can easily be a top 10 pick next year plus get a 2nd and 3rd rd pick this year. Along with a likely huge jump up in the 4th rd next year to. The Giants are counting on the bills schedule to fail them and win big by landing 2 high picks 1 this year and 1 next year plus the extras. Im not buying the giants interest in a qb and think that they value getting a stud player which they still can at pick 12 and land a stud player next year which can easily be a top 10 pick. Its a gamble i think gettleman would be willing to do. We will see though as I can be completely be wrong and bills trade away 12 22 56 96 and next years 2nd similar to what the rams gave to the titans to get Jared Goff. 

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont necessarily think that is being undervalued as they land a 2019 1st rd pick and based on the schedule the bills can easily be a top 10 pick next year plus get a 2nd and 3rd rd pick this year. Along with a likely huge jump up in the 4th rd next year to. The Giants are counting on the bills schedule to fail them and win big by landing 2 high picks 1 this year and 1 next year plus the extras. Im not buying the giants interest in a qb and think that they value getting a stud player which they still can at pick 12 and land a stud player next year which can easily be a top 10 pick. Its a gamble i think gettleman would be willing to do. We will see though as I can be completely be wrong and bills trade away 12 22 56 96 and next years 2nd similar to what the rams gave to the titans to get Jared Goff. 

Agreed with the bolded. I think this is a fair assessment and in the ballpark of what I was guessing, which is #10-12. Also, by the time we play divisional games, we will probably have our fair share of injuries, making a run at qualifying for the playoffs again quite the challenge. I would love to be proven wrong, but those making the schedule really did us no favors. The only plus from this is that our 2nd year of rebuilding should again come with some early picks.

I'm sticking by my guess that the Giants go QB at #2. It just doesn't make sense to me to gamble on finding their QB of the future when they can minimize their risk by attempting to pick one now when they are in a position to do so. Next year or even the one after that, they most likely would expect to have to trade up, which of course, comes with a cost. The hand they were dealt this year eliminates much of that cost and risk of not even having access to get a premier QB. Right now, they have a bird in the hand...

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Agreed with the bolded. I think this is a fair assessment and in the ballpark of what I was guessing, which is #10-12. Also, by the time we play divisional games, we will probably have our fair share of injuries, making a run at qualifying for the playoffs again quite the challenge. I would love to be proven wrong, but those making the schedule really did us no favors. The only plus from this is that our 2nd year of rebuilding should again come with some early picks.

I'm sticking by my guess that the Giants go QB at #2. It just doesn't make sense to me to gamble on finding their QB of the future when they can minimize their risk by attempting to pick one now when they are in a position to do so. Next year or even the one after that, they most likely would expect to have to trade up, which of course, comes with a cost. The hand they were dealt this year eliminates much of that cost and risk of not even having access to get a premier QB. Right now, they have a bird in the hand...

Eli is 37 years old has 2 years left on his contract, he will not be cut or traded as he has been the face of that franchise for 14+ years. Unless injury happens he will retire or agree to part ways but in no way will the Giants be dirty and let him go before then. With that said only KC has brought in a 1st rd qb to replace the current one since Aaron Rodgers was drafted. You have a new Gm and HC I just dont see them willing to accept a player to ride pine for 2 years and be okay with it. You get value with the other picks and look to make a move either next year with bills 1st rd pick and their 1st rd pick to get their qb while collecting the pieces they will get from the bills for moving up to 2. With the old regime putting them in a cap conundrum like Whaley did with the bills it would make sense to clean up cap which they have been doing replacing talent with younger guys and cheaper rates through the draft while cutting or trading excess fat and still keep the win now mentality with Eli and other pieces on offense. 

They still need oline help, rb, and defense not to mention WR will soon become an issue outside of Odel they have sheppard. Wouldnt it be nice to get a guy like ridley an olineman or pass rusher with the 12 pick and then be able to go back to that list and get a guy like guice/chubb/sony at 34 plus the rest of the picks?

We will see in a couple of days but to me i think giants want to move back and collect blue chips like pick 12 and future 1st rd pick to continue to build and stay competitive in the process.

Archived