Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

Really the concern isn’t him signing a deal though right? Like he is dumb to not sign it if we offer it because he will make significantly less elsewhere. He will sign at some point, he just might then pull a AD, KD, Harden etc. if he doesn’t sign that deal he would be an RFA right, and we could match whatever offer he signs? Or would him turning down the extension make him a UFA? 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Really the concern isn’t him signing a deal though right? Like he is dumb to not sign it if we offer it because he will make significantly less elsewhere. He will sign at some point, he just might then pull a AD, KD, Harden etc. if he doesn’t sign that deal he would be an RFA right, and we could match whatever offer he signs? Or would him turning down the extension make him a UFA? 

if he turned it down he can sign the qualifying offer next summer, play the year on it, and then become an ufa. it’s what greg monroe did

but he’d be passing up more money from us than he could get anywhere else because of bird rights and years of service stuff so it would be a really bad idea. i don’t think anyone has turned down the rookie max extension and i would be shocked if he did. signing it and then asking out is the much better option and i don’t even think anyone would blame him if it keeps up like this

43 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://x.com/omarisankofa/status/1807589379822473269

I think the Pistons offered it, Cade just needs to sign it next week.

And we got Tobias.  Cool. At least its only two years but man is it such an underwhelming offseason for us.  His game does fit what we need but he is not good enough to really help a team with Maxey and Embiid so not sure he moves the needle at all for us. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And we got Tobias.  Cool. At least its only two years but man is it such an underwhelming offseason for us.  His game does fit what we need but he is not good enough to really help a team with Maxey and Embiid so not sure he moves the needle at all for us. 

A 6-7th man on a playoff team is definitely a starter for the Pistons.

You're really going to have to define "move the needle here." He can start for a year while we develop the young guys. He shoots well enough to give Cade some spacing. You can move him next year as an expiring.

We still have 25M to take on a dead body too.

18 minutes ago, General Tso said:

A 6-7th man on a playoff team is definitely a starter for the Pistons.

You're really going to have to define "move the needle here." He can start for a year while we develop the young guys. He shoots well enough to give Cade some spacing. You can move him next year as an expiring.

We still have 25M to take on a dead body too.

Taking Maxey and Embiid away from Harris and will he get anything close to the looks he had last year? Probably not. Which will likely effect his efficiency on offense. 

He is a starter, but I just don't think he is a very good one.  Stewart shot more efficiently from the field and 3 last year but on fewer shots.  Tobias isn't great defensively so is it much of an upgrade to Stewart IMO.  At least not enough for me to have any additional excitement for the season. 

Again I am not seeing the point in firing Weaver.  We are literally having the exact offseason that was discussed by Weaver and projected based on what our front office was saying prior to the end of the season.  Draft another "high upside"(maybe) super raw non-shooter at 5, trade for a bad contract for a player who is declining, then sign Tobias Harris.  Its just falling into place perfectly as expected with Weaver and I just can't feel any excitement about it. 

I get we are limited because we are the Pistons and elite guys dont want to come here right now but the whole offseason by Gores and company has been ran so poorly and likely makes it worse for building a team.  Took forever to hire a guy above Weaver, took forever to fire him and find a replacement, took forever to fire the coach, did the draft without a coach, hustled to hire a guy just before free agency starts and while I am ok with the coach, it again is uninspiring.  

But sure, lets take on more dead bodies for some second round picks that wont help us in the future anyways and keep helping these teams sign guys that we should be targeting instead.  Last year if we don't take on Harris, we can likely sign Cam Johnson because the Nets were strapped.  This year we take on THJ and Nanji goes to Dallas and he would have been a great addition to our frontcourt. Being the dead body spot with little to no compensation isn't fun.  We keep pushing cap space to the future and that doesnt matter because we will never use it on a valuable piece. We feel like the Lions before Sheila took over just getting a star here and there because we pick high but never turning into wins or a functional organization and all of the stars pushing their way out.  

At least with THJ, Tech, and Tobias we have shooters around Cade. I think we might actually look like an NBA team next year. Will it be a good NBA team? 100% not a chance. But, at least it will be an NBA team. 

46 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Taking Maxey and Embiid away from Harris and will he get anything close to the looks he had last year? Probably not. Which will likely effect his efficiency on offense. 

He is a starter, but I just don't think he is a very good one.  Stewart shot more efficiently from the field and 3 last year but on fewer shots.  Tobias isn't great defensively so is it much of an upgrade to Stewart IMO.  At least not enough for me to have any additional excitement for the season. 

Again I am not seeing the point in firing Weaver.  We are literally having the exact offseason that was discussed by Weaver and projected based on what our front office was saying prior to the end of the season.  Draft another "high upside"(maybe) super raw non-shooter at 5, trade for a bad contract for a player who is declining, then sign Tobias Harris.  Its just falling into place perfectly as expected with Weaver and I just can't feel any excitement about it. 

I get we are limited because we are the Pistons and elite guys dont want to come here right now but the whole offseason by Gores and company has been ran so poorly and likely makes it worse for building a team.  Took forever to hire a guy above Weaver, took forever to fire him and find a replacement, took forever to fire the coach, did the draft without a coach, hustled to hire a guy just before free agency starts and while I am ok with the coach, it again is uninspiring.  

But sure, lets take on more dead bodies for some second round picks that wont help us in the future anyways and keep helping these teams sign guys that we should be targeting instead.  Last year if we don't take on Harris, we can likely sign Cam Johnson because the Nets were strapped.  This year we take on THJ and Nanji goes to Dallas and he would have been a great addition to our frontcourt. Being the dead body spot with little to no compensation isn't fun.  We keep pushing cap space to the future and that doesnt matter because we will never use it on a valuable piece. We feel like the Lions before Sheila took over just getting a star here and there because we pick high but never turning into wins or a functional organization and all of the stars pushing their way out.  

Stewart should not be starting. He is Al Horford, which is a very important role! Or he might get traded because his archetype is very valuable. Maybe the Knicks will give us back our first + more for him now that they don't have Hartenstein.