Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

38 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Stewart should not be starting. He is Al Horford, which is a very important role! Or he might get traded because his archetype is very valuable. Maybe the Knicks will give us back our first + more for him now that they don't have Hartenstein.

I get Stewart is no good.  I just don't think Harris is much of a step up at this point.  Veteran leadership is probably the best thing THJ and Harris are bringing to the team and that part is likely to not be seen in the stat sheet or in any data set but its just boring to me and I am not sure these are the guys that will do it.  

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get Stewart is no good.  I just don't think Harris is much of a step up at this point.  Veteran leadership is probably the best thing THJ and Harris are bringing to the team and that part is likely to not be seen in the stat sheet or in any data set but its just boring to me and I am not sure these are the guys that will do it.  

It's very ho hum. That's just where this franchise is.

Both of those guys are very healthy players, for better or worse. The lineup should be more stable than last year.

27 minutes ago, General Tso said:

It's very ho hum. That's just where this franchise is.

Both of those guys are very healthy players, for better or worse. The lineup should be more stable than last year.

Yeah, I know both fit better than what we have but what we have is super young.  I would much rather see our young guys progress and be worthy of starting instead of playing either THJ or Tobias.  But maybe competition for minutes is more of what they need. Ivey and Ausar need to be pushed by THJ and Tobias can push Fontecchio, Holland and Stewart.  

Hopefully just some stability at head coach and someone who hopefully wants to be there running the show will get better results.  This team talent wise was better than what their record was last year but you could see early on there was no buy in with Hayes playing so much and so much Wiseman and Bagely together.  Also hopefully we can get some 3 point progression from our youth as discussed earlier with Vinson.  I thought we were play in talented last year but lacked leadership so we should be a play in team with Chicago, Brooklyn, Washington, and Atlanta re-setting and likely getting worse and the Hornets being very similar to us.  

25 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, I know both fit better than what we have but what we have is super young.  I would much rather see our young guys progress and be worthy of starting instead of playing either THJ or Tobias.  But maybe competition for minutes is more of what they need. Ivey and Ausar need to be pushed by THJ and Tobias can push Fontecchio, Holland and Stewart.  

Hopefully just some stability at head coach and someone who hopefully wants to be there running the show will get better results.  This team talent wise was better than what their record was last year but you could see early on there was no buy in with Hayes playing so much and so much Wiseman and Bagely together.  Also hopefully we can get some 3 point progression from our youth as discussed earlier with Vinson.  I thought we were play in talented last year but lacked leadership so we should be a play in team with Chicago, Brooklyn, Washington, and Atlanta re-setting and likely getting worse and the Hornets being very similar to us.  

Doubling our win total will be enough for me

I'm really hoping that we have a team of mostly NBA caliber players. We badly needed to ditch the bums that we had. Killian, Bags, Wiseman, Flynn, Fournier, Troy Brown, Umude, are guys that belong, at best, at the end of a bench. These guys were getting minutes with us. That kills you. A decent team can probably get away with playing 1-2 bums during the regular season. Our team was seemingly only bums. Even replacing that level with an average NBA player is a huge benefit. It seems like Trajan is moving that way. I don't think it's realistic to have good-great players 15 deep, but we need to fill out the roster with average guys, not dogwater guys. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm really hoping that we have a team of mostly NBA caliber players. We badly needed to ditch the bums that we had. Killian, Bags, Wiseman, Flynn, Fournier, Troy Brown, Umude, are guys that belong, at best, at the end of a bench. These guys were getting minutes with us. That kills you. A decent team can probably get away with playing 1-2 bums during the regular season. Our team was seemingly only bums. Even replacing that level with an average NBA player is a huge benefit. It seems like Trajan is moving that way. I don't think it's realistic to have good-great players 15 deep, but we need to fill out the roster with average guys, not dogwater guys. 

my friends were joking about signing tobias and i was like "you guys don't understand that kevin knox was the best wing on the pistons last year before the trade deadline." it's incredible over half the roster were out of the league caliber players

that said, we're not there yet. thj might fall in that category and the first time he goes 3-17 and 1-12 from 3 with four 28 footers in transition i don't think the reaction will be pretty. obviously we're less than 48 hours into free agency but i don't know what the hell their plan for rim protection is and tobias and even theoretical thj isn't close to enough shooting. and they still don't have a single perimeter defender with more than one year of experience. they still have to make significant additions for this to not be the worst constructed roster in the league again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catcheryea said:

my friends were joking about signing tobias and i was like "you guys don't understand that kevin knox was the best wing on the pistons last year before the trade deadline." it's incredible over half the roster were out of the league caliber players

that said, we're not there yet. thj might fall in that category and the first time he goes 3-17 and 1-12 from 3 with four 28 footers in transition i don't think the reaction will be pretty. obviously we're less than 48 hours into free agency but i don't know what the hell their plan for rim protection is and tobias and even theoretical thj isn't close to enough shooting. and they still don't have a single perimeter defender with more than one year of experience. they still have to make significant additions for this to not be the worst constructed roster in the league again

I could see us adding Malik Beasley, Buddy Heild, or bringing back Luke Kennard as another guard who can shoot.  I would rather have any of them over THJ but doesn't help our defense at all.  Maybe could add Gary Trent Jr. that would help a little more on D. 

I also don't see a good answer for C.  I am guessing the Knicks don't move Robinson now that they couldn't keep Hartenstein.  Maybe the Cavs move Allen but not sure what we would give them back that would make sense for both.  There isn't a free agent that I would be excited about.  Maybe Mo Wagner to add a 5 that can shoot from outside but he isn't great on D.  

Some of what we can spend will depend on what Fontecchio ends up signing for as well. The team was so much smoother on offense when he was on the floor. Again not a help on the defensive end.  But if he gets too much then we will limit ourselves on what else we could add and may need to trade more than sign guys. 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I could see us adding Malik Beasley, Buddy Heild, or bringing back Luke Kennard as another guard who can shoot.  I would rather have any of them over THJ but doesn't help our defense at all.  Maybe could add Gary Trent Jr. that would help a little more on D. 

I also don't see a good answer for C.  I am guessing the Knicks don't move Robinson now that they couldn't keep Hartenstein.  Maybe the Cavs move Allen but not sure what we would give them back that would make sense for both.  There isn't a free agent that I would be excited about.  Maybe Mo Wagner to add a 5 that can shoot from outside but he isn't great on D.  

Some of what we can spend will depend on what Fontecchio ends up signing for as well. The team was so much smoother on offense when he was on the floor. Again not a help on the defensive end.  But if he gets too much then we will limit ourselves on what else we could add and may need to trade more than sign guys. 

Mo Wagner re-signed with the Magic. What do you think about Goga? 

Tobias on 2 years isn't bad honestly. Experts underwhelmed headlines etc doesn't bother me. If it was more than 2 years fine. But they need to surround some Of this younger talent to assess what they have.

So adding Tobias will help see what some of these kids can do if mixed with vets 

Beasley is a weird fit, no? I know it's a cheap contract and short term, but I'm not sure how all these 2 guards will fit. Maybe Ivey is getting shipped out? THJ, Beasley, Ivey, to a lesser degree Sasser are pretty much just 2 guards. Cade is the only dude on the roster that can play the point right now. I suppose THJ and Beasley(I hope this dude has a nickname, I hate typing his last name for some reason) could play a little at the 3. But, that takes minutes away from Holland and Ausar. We'll see how it all pans out. At least Beasley is a proven NBA guy. He's gotten minutes for quality teams.