Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

In typical me fashion, I've flip flopped on my original opinion of the move. I kind of see the fit if Ivey is the lead ball handler on the second unit. I think the pieces fit together fairly well, using Malik and THJ as interchangeable off ball guys for Cade and Ivey. Cade could also play off ball a little with Ivey. I'd bet Ausar and Tobias start as the 3 and 4. Neither probably get a lot of run with the bench unit. Tech and Stew can provide shooting and decent defense on the bench unit. I think we should get a rim protector, but maybe the FO thinks Duren will improve.  This all hinges on Ivey improving. I think it's possible now that Monty's gone.

I don't know the rules of the G-League, but can Holland get any run with the Cruise next year?

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

I like the signing. Another short term vet to help develop youth. 

Cade's assist numbers might go through the roof. How many wide open shots did Killian, Livers, Knox, and Flynn brick after a pass from Cade? Look out 20 wins, here we come!

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Not going to help in pretty much any other way.

i don't know why but this is a hilarious way to phrase this

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Beasley is a weird fit, no? I know it's a cheap contract and short term, but I'm not sure how all these 2 guards will fit. Maybe Ivey is getting shipped out? THJ, Beasley, Ivey, to a lesser degree Sasser are pretty much just 2 guards. Cade is the only dude on the roster that can play the point right now. I suppose THJ and Beasley(I hope this dude has a nickname, I hate typing his last name for some reason) could play a little at the 3. But, that takes minutes away from Holland and Ausar. We'll see how it all pans out. At least Beasley is a proven NBA guy. He's gotten minutes for quality teams. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In typical me fashion, I've flip flopped on my original opinion of the move. I kind of see the fit if Ivey is the lead ball handler on the second unit. I think the pieces fit together fairly well, using Malik and THJ as interchangeable off ball guys for Cade and Ivey. Cade could also play off ball a little with Ivey. I'd bet Ausar and Tobias start as the 3 and 4. Neither probably get a lot of run with the bench unit. Tech and Stew can provide shooting and decent defense on the bench unit. I think we should get a rim protector, but maybe the FO thinks Duren will improve.  This all hinges on Ivey improving. I think it's possible now that Monty's gone.

I don't know the rules of the G-League, but can Holland get any run with the Cruise next year?

there definitely seems to be a logjam at the 1/2. there's also a noticeable lack of a real backup pg, so unless they decide that ivey is strictly going to be the pg off the bench or staggered with cade, it feels like he might be getting moved. but it wouldn't surprise me (just based on how this has gone historically) if one or both of beasely or thj shoots it at 32% from 3

their plan for next year seems like they're fine being bad (potentially horrible) defensively as long as it puts cade in a position to excel on offense. maybe they're really betting on someone being able to teach duren how to play defense, but even if that happens there's still only a couple passable wing defenders on the team. if ivey, ausar, and holland aren't all on the floor together they should always have at least two shooters out there. you can make sure at least one of tobias and fontecchio is always playing and if stew is at the 5, you can sneak ivey and ausar/holland together and still play three shooters

and yes, holland could spend the whole year down there if they wanted him to

maybe they take on harrison barnes in a derozan sign and trade and start the year with barnes, asuar, fontecchio, and harris as the wing rotation to give holland some time to work on his shot in the g league

• Like 1

Just re-signed Tech for 2/16. I think that’s a really good deal for him. I wish there was a 3rd year, but not bad overall.

Reckless optimism inbound, but I think we’re definitely not in the bottom tier of the East anymore. I think we’re as good as the Bulls, Hawks, Nets, Raptors, and Hornets. Not better than any of them, but at least in the same league. I think we’re better than the Wiz. That’s something. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Just re-signed Tech for 2/16. I think that’s a really good deal for him. I wish there was a 3rd year, but not bad overall.

Reckless optimism inbound, but I think we’re definitely not in the bottom tier of the East anymore. I think we’re as good as the Bulls, Hawks, Nets, Raptors, and Hornets. Not better than any of them, but at least in the same league. I think we’re better than the Wiz. That’s something. 

25 wins would be enough for me.

No matter what our record we will get the #5 pick anyway.

I think the deal to keep Fontecchio was a steal. I was hoping we could get him for 12 or so per year so to get him at 8 is fantastic. He was a bright spot in showing what we could be when he got here and was healthy. The whole team looked more fluid having a shooter out there. So keeping him and likely pushing him to a reserve role is definitely a positive for our roster. I wouldn’t hate him starting over Ausar though until Ausar can fix his shot.  I know we would suck on D but I’d rather focus on getting Cade to take some steps forward offensively first and see how we can fix the D either schematically or with a trade in season. 

The thing I like about the roster right now is we have some flexibility with the position-less game. Everyone really can play multiple positions except Harris is pretty much a 4 at this point so finding the right fits shouldn’t be too hard. Beasley also provides us a great deadline trade piece to a contender being so cheap and just this year. 

I’m still underwhelmed by the offseason but it’s probably about the best we could do given the lack of interest in coming to Detroit from bigger stars. Just like the Wings and Tigers, we need our guys to develop if we are going to take the next step since we aren’t landing big time free agents. So building a team to help the youth develop is smart. I’m still hoping a culture change will be the largest impact on our growth. 

• Like 1

So the Pistons need a rim protecting backup C. Most of the top available guys are gone. I think we’re forgetting about the actual top guy, Boban. He and Tobias are friends. He is a C. They can bring back Bobi and Tobi. That’s pretty much it. 

Bball Paul Reed was just signed to a 3 year deal. Love it. Another guy that has played at an NBA quality in fairly big games. Blocks a lot of shots. 25 years old. I'd love to see how the front court rotation looks this season. Duren, Stew, Reed, seems like a much improved big man rotation. What an improvement over Wiseman. 

i''m over the idea of winning press conferences and i also think they should trade ivey, but i did like that bickerstaff talked about staggering ball handlers and specifically mentioned ivey catching the ball on the move

it really is incredible how far out of his way monty went to suck last year

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i''m over the idea of winning press conferences and i also think they should trade ivey, but i did like that bickerstaff talked about staggering ball handlers and specifically mentioned ivey catching the ball on the move

it really is incredible how far out of his way monty went to suck last year

I'm feeling similar on Ivey, but also agree there are better ways to utilize him.  He isn't a great fit with Cade but I am also not sure his trade value would be high enough to trade him now.  I think its a safer bet to just hope a motivated coach can fix the situation and get better results rather than get some meh return for him.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 7:42 PM, catcheryea said:

we’re so back

beasley took 5 from holland and he's switching to 00

the only smart decision this franchise has made in the last 16 years, destroyed, because of a role player on a one year deal

12 hours ago, catcheryea said:

beasley took 5 from holland and he's switching to 00

the only smart decision this franchise has made in the last 16 years, destroyed, because of a role player on a one year deal

So we will have 0 and 00 on the court at the same time?  lol