Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

Assuming Sarr goes 1 and Topic/Rassacher goes 2.  My targets in order for 3 baring we do not trade the pick:

1.  Reed Sheppard

- Perfect fit for our roster.  Analytics darling with his elite shooting and good defensive metrics.  We need shooting badly on this roster.  He can easily fit well next to Jalen, Vanvleet, and Amen.  Don't overthink it if he is still there at 3.

2. Donovan Clingan

- Elite rim protector and we have had a need for one for several years.  We have Sengun, and Landale (for now) under contract next season, but Landale will most likely be waived to save cap space.  If we select him he can sit and develop a year behind Sengun and Adams providing they both stay healthy throughout the season.  

3.  Rob Dillingham

-Microwave scorer.  Wouldnt start right away but can provide instant offense off the bench.  Very good shooter, and he can play on and off the ball.  Very good catch and shoot threat.  Defense is an issue as well as size, but given the recent success of Kentucky guards coming to the league, I would bet he will be better pro than he was at Kentucky.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Assuming Sarr goes 1 and Topic/Rassacher goes 2.  My targets in order for 3 baring we do not trade the pick:

1.  Reed Sheppard

- Perfect fit for our roster.  Analytics darling with his elite shooting and good defensive metrics.  We need shooting badly on this roster.  He can easily fit well next to Jalen, Vanvleet, and Amen.  Don't overthink it if he is still there at 3.

2. Donovan Clingan

- Elite rim protector and we have had a need for one for several years.  We have Sengun, and Landale (for now) under contract next season, but Landale will most likely be waived to save cap space.  If we select him he can sit and develop a year behind Sengun and Adams providing they both stay healthy throughout the season.  

3.  Rob Dillingham

-Microwave scorer.  Wouldnt start right away but can provide instant offense off the bench.  Very good shooter, and he can play on and off the ball.  Very good catch and shoot threat.  Defense is an issue as well as size, but given the recent success of Kentucky guards coming to the league, I would bet he will be better pro than he was at Kentucky.

I like Sheppard but dude measured at  6-1.75. That’s real short. But man he can shoot. But man that’s short. Also had one of the smallest wingspans at the combine. 

im all for trading but if we have to take someone, its gonna be a long term bench player so either a bench shooter like Shep or knecht or we take a long term back up big man from the list of giants available. 

The good thing about this weak draft class is we can reach at 3 because there’s not any sort of consensus. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling Stone is going to screw this up.  If he trades 3 and the Nets future picks back to them for Bridges and the Suns picks I'm going to lose it.  He deserves to be fired.  Stay put and take Sheppard or Clingan.  Easy decision.  Dont overthink it.  No team is trading a star for the 3rd pick this draft.  

Posted (edited)

As soon as I say that I just seen an article from The Athletic that says the Rocket's big board is Topic, Buzalis, Castle, Clingan and Sheppard assuming Sarr and Risacher goes 1 and 2.  It better be a smokescreen because there is noway Stone is that stupid to take the top 3 over Sheppard/Clingan.  I hate that clown.

Edited by Texansfan713

Updated Big Board for the Rockets

*I'm under the assumption Sarr and Risacher goes 1 and 2.

1.  G Reed Sheppard:  Nothing has changed.  He should be the pick easily.  If he isn't then Stone has to go.  He makes too much sense to NOT be the pick.  Perfect fit on the roster. 

2.  C Donovan Clingan:  Only thing that would suck is he wouldnt have immediate playing time with Sengun and Adams getting minutes.  I'm not the biggest fan of playing him next to Sengun. Adams will most likely be a rental so we could be looking at 2025-26 when he gets minutes.

Gap

3. G Stephon Castle:  I'm not high on him as people are, but he has the ability to be a lockdown defender.  I worry about his shooting but unlike Dillingham who I had number 3 a few weeks ago, he can guard both guard positions.  Udoka would love a player like him.

4.  F Matas Buzelis:  It was talks round this time last year that he could be the favorite to go number 1.  He had a underwhelming G League stint so I'm not as high on him as I was this time last year. If he develops a jumpshot (which there is a chance he does), then he could be Franz Wagner 2.0

5. PG Rob Dillingham:  The combine didn't do him any favors.  He can score the ball but we don't need another ball dominant guard.  Also he can't play defense.  He isn't a good fit for the team as currently constructed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my Rockets off season thoughts:

Going into the off season, we have a line up that looks something like this:

FVV
Green / Whitemore
Brooks / Tate
Smith / Eason / Amen / Green
Sengun / Adams / Landale

I honestly dont know where to put amen. He was at his best playing a 4 spot role where he could just be atheltic and make plays, but hes not playable next to Adams with the 2nd unit. There would be no floor spacing. Especially if the second unit was amen/Adams/Eason/Tate and anyone else. That would simply suck. So I am not sure what to do with the guy at this point. A TON of talent, but he is not a roster fit with other guys without being able to shoot. He isnt a bad fit in our starting lineup but that would require Smith or Brooks to go to the bench and neither are going to want to do that. 

Top needs this off season

A back up ball handlier who can shoot

FA Options:

We could sign a guy like Monte Morris with the MLE to come off the bench. Possibly a Reggie Jackson if his market is dry. Someone like that

Draft options

Reed Shepherd seems like a safe bet at the number 3 position. I will be ok with this. He gives us shooting for sure, which would help keep amen on the floor. 

Here is an interesting draft option that I havent seen discussed. What if we trade down into the 8-10 range, pick up a future 1st rounder and draft Nikola Topic. He tore his ACL, which no longer a problem. He comes to Houston and gets a year of rehab, potentially playing some g-league games later in the year depending on the injury timeline, or maybe nothing at all. Then next year when we have to make decisions on some guys, we have Topic ready to have his rookie season. Its like the old school draft and stash move. In a draft that is so terribly bad, this could be a really good decision for us. 

It should be an interestingly boring off season. We set ourselves up for a 2 year Phase 2 last year and so we need to play that out and see what happens. 

We will have to choose between Sengun and Green. Whether to keep FVV. Should we try and trade brooks or does his contract and play make since. Can Smith be a starter in the league, or is his spot up for grabs now? Can Eason, Whitmore or Amen become a major impact player?

Lots of questions, but shouldnt be many major additions or subtractions. 

but on that note, when you combine Green, Landale's salary you get 16 million in cutable money. throw in Adams 1 year deal and you are at 28 million. 

those 3 plus one of Green, Smith, Amen gets you up there in matching salary. Add some draft picks and we have a competitive offer for guys who might come on the market. 

It was an anomaly that we went 41-41 and didn't make the play in, I would say a 45 win season is on the table this year. 

Whats gonna happen with Green? Thats anyones guess. 

October Green - Trash
November Green - decent
December Green - Cut the man
January Green - Potential
February Green - Should have traded him
March Green - 3rd team all NBA
April Green - March was a fluke

his play is just like his shot, inconsistent. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling Stone is going to F up the draft next week.  Yesterday it was a rumor saying they are extremely interested in Reed Sheppard.  Now today its a rumor saying they are extremely interested in Clingan with Sheppard a close 2nd.  Adding to the rumor is that they turned down a Sengun for Ingram trade and they have interest in Marcus Smart.

Just stay put and take Sheppard at 3.  It's not that damn hard.  You never pass on a chance to take a generational shooter that can add defense to this team. 

Edited by Texansfan713

“Rumors have swirled about the Pelicans dangling Ingram in trade talks and in one iteration, a hypothetical Ingram-for-Alperen Şengün swap was mentioned, but the Rockets have no interest, team sources said. League sources said New Orleans also contacted the Philadelphia 76ers concerning a possible Ingram trade.”

Thank god they turned that down. 

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I have a feeling Stone is going to F up the draft next week.  Yesterday it was a rumor saying they are extremely interested in Reed Sheppard.  Now today its a rumor saying they are extremely interested in Clingan with Sheppard a close 2nd.  Adding to the rumor is that they turned down a Sengun for Ingram trade and they have interest in Marcus Smart.

Just stay put and take Sheppard at 3.  It's not that damn hard.  You never pass on a chance to take a generational shooter that can add defense to this team. 

I dont know if I am that high on Sheppard as a shooter. This is the worst draft class since 2013. If we are forced to draft at 3, and Sheppard is there, hes probably the pick. The rumors about Clingan is all about getting teams to open up their trade options for us. for some reason the teams in love with Clingan are all drafting after pick 5 and so getting them to trade up for him is only gonna work if they think we are considering taking him. 

I read a deal of Smart, Pick 9, a Future 1st for Pick 3 from the gizzlies, who really need a big man. I would take that deal. We would probably send back Green and Landale. We would have our 10 man line up figured out. at pick 9, we would still be able to take a guy like Dalton Knecht, who is older and fits our timeline better. If he is gone we can look at a redshirt year for Topic. Matas has been compared to both Bruno and Giannis....so he could be worth a look. Dillingham is another interesting prospect, though he is a few inches too short. If Devan carter can fix his shooting form, he could be a heck of a player at some point. 

This draft is as bad or worse than 2013.....but lets not forget what happened in that draft. 

Giannis was drafted at 15 by a team that was coming off a 41-41 season. He didnt look great early on, but by year 3 he was developing and the rest is history.....who is this years Giannis?

The "other guy" from that 2013 draft was Rudy Gobert drafted at pick 27. Whatever someones opinion is of Gobert, dude was a steal at 27.

We have to find that guy in this terrible draft. We could be talking 2000 draft bad in a few years. 

6 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

One more day!

Man we just made a huge move. I don’t think we are going after Durant. I think we just wanted to push our 1sts down the road a little because we have so many young guys. 

Updated 1st round picks

2024: 3rd overall

2025: 2nd best of OKC/HOU/PHX 

2026: own (only if top-4)

2027: Better of HOU/BKN PHX

2028: own

2029: *Two* best of HOU/DAL/PHX

2030: own

2031: own

Edited by Texansfan713

Stone did the right thing and took Sheppard.  Now we have an elite shooter we have been missing for years.  

At pick 44 I think we trade it, but if we keep it I wouldnt mind

C Adem Bona

C N'Faly Dante

PF PJ Hall

PG Jamal Shead

PG/SG Ajay Mitchell

Whoever we select will be G-League the whole season but those players would be my favorites.