Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

16 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Whitmore is too good NOT to get playing time.   IDC if it is Summer League.  It's a reason why he was projected a top 5 pick at one point.  He has talent.  He likely wont be the starter at SF for a season or maybe 2 but he will get minutes.  Tate will be the odd man out. I wish we dealt him instead of KJ Martin.

The only significant minutes whitmore will get this season are gonna be with the g-league. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We are too deep now for 2 rookies to get major minutes

eh the team still is bad.  It's not like the 2015 team when we drafted Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell and there were no minutes for either one of them because the team was really good. Udoka already said players has to earn minutes.

7 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

eh the team still is bad.  It's not like the 2015 team when we drafted Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell and there were no minutes for either one of them because the team was really good. Udoka already said players has to earn minutes.

I know that but we still have 

FVV/Amen
Green/KPJ
Brooks/Tate
Smith/Eason
Sengun/Londale

That’s 10 deep. That doesn’t include vets that are probably just lockeroom guys like Green and Holiday. 

id say Whitmore can’t beat anyone out but maybe Tate and that’s gonna have to wait until we are 10 games under .500 

I think we can win anywhere from 35-45 games next year, which means no Whitmore 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Looks like we will likely be without Jock Landale for a while.  He suffered a serious ankle injury playing overseas.  Center is our weakest position too so this sucks.

Sengun will get his 30 minutes, and then we will either go with Smith at Center or we will go a little small with Jeff Green getting some minutes until Landale is back in the mix. 

It also means fewer minutes with Sengun/Smith on the floor together, which means more Tari on the floor at the 4. 

I suspect our 9 man rotation will look something like this:

Sengun
Smith/Tari
Brooks/Tate
Green/KPJ
Van Vleet/Amen

Maybe we run a 10 man rotation when we have Landale, but I doubt he plays that many minutes anyway. We are going to want to go small at times and space the floor with Smith at the 5, especially when Amen is in the game. 

Amen/Green/Brooks/Tari/Smith or something like that, should have lots of defense, but 3 below average shooters. 

I am not as sold on Amen being in the rotation as much as number 4 picks typically are, mainly because we dont have much shooting on the team and hes probably the worst shooter we have. Hes not much better than Ben Simmons, but he is much more willing, which is a bad combo. 

I expect to be in the 8-12 range in the West this year. We have some pieces to be a surprise team next year. Honestly, I dont think the Grizzlies from last year are all that much more talented than we are this coming year. Not saying I expect to be the 2 seed or anything like that, but we could be better than we think if the coaching and the vet additions can bring some solid influence. Green and Jabari can both take huge steps forward this year. Sengun has a skill set to his game that is full of potential. Van Vleet and Brooks are every bit as good as Brooks and the revolving door starter that memphis had last year. 

My question is whether or not Udoka can actually coach or whether he just landed a perfect situation in Boston with some young studs that he was able to lead to a finals. We really dont know.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the status of KPJ is with the Rockets going into training camp but we have to move or cut him by the opening game to eliminate some guarantees. I have not been a big fan of him, He's not a very good human being and he plays like Russell Westbrook on the court without being a good. I think getting rid of him actually clears up some room for Van Vleet and Green to both get starters minutes and Amen to get some some run in a back up role off the bench. It was gonna be hard to find Amen more than 8-10 minutes a night without FVV or Green having to give up minutes with KPJ on the roster. 

Cam Whitmore can now start off in that 8 minutes a night spot and Amen can get more like 16-18 minutes. 

FVV/Amen
Green/Whitmore/Holiday 
Brooks/Tate
Smith/Eason/Green
Sengun/Landale/Boban

idk how thats gonna fit because Idk if homeboy can coach less established talent, but if he can get them bought into the hard nosed defense he convinced the celtics to play, we could be a 35-40 win team.....if not, we could find ourselves tanking late in the season to get a top 4 pick. 

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

It's Amen time now!  I wish we can trade for a microwave scorer off the bench. Now that KPJ might be done as a Rocket.  Would we entertain a trade for Buddy Heild? He would fit perfect for this team. 

I don't think the Pacers would do that unless you add a ton. Not because Hield is so good, but because who the heck wants KPJ?

10 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You cut him and save a ton of money. No one thinks KPJ has trade value. 

Indiana's not looking to save money considering their last in the league in payroll for this season. Hield's contract expires after this season anyways.

The optics of trading for KPJ, even just to cut him, is going to keep teams from doing it unless some serious carrots are thrown in.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Indiana's not looking to save money considering their last in the league in payroll for this season. Hield's contract expires after this season anyways.

The optics of trading for KPJ, even just to cut him, is going to keep teams from doing it unless some serious carrots are thrown in.

He’s just an expiring contract. We have no need to trade him to get rid him. We can cut him ourselves. we are simply looking to trade picks for a player and use KPJ as matching salary. We aren’t throwing in a dime extra because it’s KPJ.