Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

Well. We are all in on our young guys. Only thing left to do is fire Silas and hire a coach who can develop young guys. I love what Van Gundy has done with the team USA b team. I’m not opposed to getting him in here. 

we also have 65 million in cap space that we are gonna have to spend to get to the floor. 

we are also gonna have a top 4 pick in the draft. 

we went from completely strapped to having the best assets in the league in a hurry. 

problem now is that we have too many young guys and no room for vets. We also are set up entering a terrible year for free agency. 

id love to sign Van Vleet this off season. Give him a 3/100 million deal with a team option in the 3rd year. He would provide a veteran pg that we need. 

mid he hits the market we could sign Middleton too. That would give us two vets with rings. 

van Vleet/KPJ/Tyty
Green/Christopher 
middleton/KJ
smith/Eason
Sengun/Garuba 

We would probably have to get rid of KPJ if we didn’t start him. 

this also doesn’t include our top 4 draft pick. 

honestly we have so many young guys that idk what we can do with them all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All reports are that Silas will not be resigned. I hope that’s true. I also am not sure about Nick Nurse who people have linked to us. He won a championship with a veteran team but he’s been struggle bus city since his team got young, which is what we have. He’s got to be better than Silas though. 

sitting Porter tonight frees up 2.4 million in cap space next year so I believe we will have like 62 million. That’s enough to sign some vets. 

really we are gonna have to look at trades this off season. We’ve got too many young guys that we can’t just bury at the end of the bench. I’m not really sure what we can do. 

we are gonna own probably the 3rd or 4th pick. It would be easy enough to bring that person off the bench. It’s harder to bench someone who has been starting. 

KJ is the most likely guy to be replaced in the starting 5 by a vet, which he’s not gonna like. He had a really good season this year getting that starters role. 

I would be good with trading away anyone but Green, Eason, or Jabari. Green and Jabari are foundational starters and Eason is that bench guy that every team needs, who could possibly be Kawhi Leonard at some point. 

problem is that the free agent class is super weak. 

our two best options are gonna be trying to sign Harden to basically play PG and be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option most of the time, which he’s thriving at and can probably do well for the next 2-3 years. We would have to give him something like 4/160 million. That’s well under his max, but years 3 and 4 could be dangerous for us.  We could also make a pitch to the Celtics for Brown if the rumors are true that he wants out of there. We could offer KPJ, KJ, Christopher, Tate, a top 3-4 pick this year and potentially three more 1st rounders. I don’t see a much better off this off season for the Celtics. KJ and Tate really fit in well there. I’d like to keep Christopher. KPJ would have to go for salary purposes. The top pick would be the long term replacement for Brown. 

roster would look like this:

harden/Washington 
Green/Nix
Brown
Jabari/Eason
Sengun/Garuba 

we would also have MLE to sign a vet and we would have our 2nd 1st rounder assuming we don’t give that to Boston. 

Probably a pipe dream, I know. 

more than likely we are looking at a Jerami Grant, Van Vleet, Gary Trent Jr., Kyle Kuzma type signing. Then trying to figure out our rotation. 

in that case Garuba and Christopher could lose their spots and KJ could lose a starting spot. 

a front court of Jabari and Grant could be really athletic but Sengun seems to have too much potential to put on the bench and risk losing him. 

it’s tricky. We will have to trade someone, we can’t just add a starter and move someone to the bench. That won’t fly. 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:39 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

We are casting a wide net. Some vet coaches with rings like Vogal and Nurse being rumored and some first time guys like Sam Cassell also being rumored. 

who knows. 

Nick Nurse just got fired by the Raptors.  Willing to bet we set up an interview with him the next 24 to 48 hours.  

Ranking my preferences as HC

Nurse

Cassell

Atkinson

Udoka

Vogel

15 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Nick Nurse just got fired by the Raptors.  Willing to bet we set up an interview with him the next 24 to 48 hours.  

Ranking my preferences as HC

Nurse

Cassell

Atkinson

Udoka

Vogel

I’m all for going after a vet coach with experience. There are not a lot of nba championship coaches out there and we have 2 on our list. 

15 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Udoka press conference was rather refreshing.

I laughed at Fertitta basically letting the cat out the bag and announce they are building a new practice facility near the Galleria area.  Its about time.  The one at TC is by far the worst one in the league. 

I’m a little nervous about Udoka. Dude lucked into the best situation in the league and couldn’t keep it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Theme this off season is Come Home Harden

not because he makes us a contender, but because he could help us become a playoff team again. I am tired of this tanking crap. We tanked and we did it with a waste of a coach. We drafted Green and Smith from this tank, and I am not sure either will become a super star. We will add one more in this draft, but honestly, I would rather be sitting at a 4/5 seed who maybe makes the 2nd round for the next 5 years than to keep this rebuild going. 

three top 3 picks is all you can afford to tank for, if you dont hit on any of those, then you have to go after some vets and try and compete for a little while. 

I fully expect the Rockets to go after nothing but vets this offseason.  Getting Harden depends on what pick we end up with tomorrow.  I personally feel like he using the Sixers as leverage to get a bigger contract.  If he is in fact serious about returning to Houston I would welcome him back but I'm not going past 2 years with him.  

Tomorrow is the lottery and I'm nervous as heck.  I'm praying for pick 1-2-3. 

This offseason is make or break for Stone.  He better pull a Texans and be aggressive on draft night and trade up and take Scoot Henderson and follow that up with a very good free agency.  If not then he has to go.  Cant believe we gotta see Wemby 4 times a season for the next 20 years in addition to him being on a rival team.