Jags Offseason 2019

33 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

lol to a point but lets not give them a crazy amount either.  gotta be able to put other good talent with them. 

Yeah.  I don't think DE or even CB are positions to absolutely scuttle your cap situation for.  QB...yeah, if you get a star franchise one, you reluctantly do it.  But anything else, you've gotta draw a line somewhere.

With Ngakoue especially, he's a fantastic DE...but he's also still a guy who i think needs a strong player opposite him to really get the most out of him.  He's not quite that dominant superstar #1DE who you can line up any which way and win.  Though his knack for getting the ball out is also kind of a game-changer and big value added.  And he's already going to be pushing toward DE1 money easily with his sack totals.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I don't think DE or even CB are positions to absolutely scuttle your cap situation for.  QB...yeah, if you get a star franchise one, you reluctantly do it.  But anything else, you've gotta draw a line somewhere.

With Ngakoue especially, he's a fantastic DE...but he's also still a guy who i think needs a strong player opposite him to really get the most out of him.  He's not quite that dominant superstar #1DE who you can line up any which way and win.  Though his knack for getting the ball out is also kind of a game-changer and big value added.  And he's already going to be pushing toward DE1 money easily with his sack totals.

i think ngakoue is somewhere between Freeney and Mathis right now.  i think Ngakoue is a DE1 and we need to develop bryan if he is to be our future DE. 

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

i think ngakoue is somewhere between Freeney and Mathis right now.  i think Ngakoue is a DE1 and we need to develop bryan if he is to be our future DE. 

Bryan needs to be 3T tbh.

I think they really like Smoot and for him to eventually take over for Calais. Bryan has gotten reps at DE in minicamp because Smoot has been sidelined.

Bryan’s versatility is always a plus tho.

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think they really like Smoot and for him to eventually take over for Calais. Bryan has gotten reps at DE in minicamp because Smoot has been sidelined.

i see us cutting Campbell before we cut jackson and i like Bryans game more on the outside who can shift inside ala campbell.  smoot to me didnt strike me as a potential starter based on his lack of ability to create pressures/sacks. 

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i see us cutting Campbell before we cut jackson and i like Bryans game more on the outside who can shift inside ala campbell.  smoot to me didnt strike me as a potential starter based on his lack of ability to create pressures/sacks. 

I agree about Calais being gone before Malik. 

Smoot flashed here and there in his limited snaps. He only played 24% of the snaps. I definitely expect that number to increase this season. 

Ngakoue, Malik, Dareus, Calais, Fowler (if his injury isn’t serious), Abry, Bryan, Smoot.  We are 8 deep on the DL. Should be a lot of rotating to keep everyone fresh.

7 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I agree about Calais being gone before Malik. 

Smoot flashed here and there in his limited snaps. He only played 24% of the snaps. I definitely expect that number to increase this season. 

Ngakoue, Malik, Dareus, Calais, Fowler (if his injury isn’t serious), Abry, Bryan, Smoot.  We are 8 deep on the DL. Should be a lot of rotating to keep everyone fresh.

i didnt see much pass rush out of smoot even in the limited sample size.  i saw some solid run defense but not much pass rush. 

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

lol id stop at 25.  at some point theres definitely a line to be had. he probably gets around 20.   still need to get a good cheap  AJ replacement for when we cut/trade him to make money room for ramseys contract. 

the only real way i can see us keeping both AJ and Jalen is if we draft a qb early(IE 1-4) and they are the real deal and we can replace bortles with the draft pick.  that would save us some cash. 

You keep mentioning this but i just dont think that is a great idea unless absolutely necessary. Having those 2 DBs is a huge part of why we are successful. Signing Ramsey shouldn't mean trading Bouye

8 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Yea Bryan shouldn't be seen as a Calais replacement. He can be a LDE on 1st/2nd I suppose and go inside on 3rd but you would rather have him at UT all the time

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You keep mentioning this but i just dont think that is a great idea unless absolutely necessary. Having those 2 DBs is a huge part of why we are successful. Signing Ramsey shouldn't mean trading Bouye

tell me where that 20 million to keep ramsey is coming from.  we are tight on capspace as it is so theres gonna be some tough decisions to make that cap space happen wether it be from Gipson and Hayden to aj someone is gonna be bouncing from the secondary besides church, who we all agree is on borrowed time with the harrison pick. 

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Why do you say that? Especially at this point where Yannick has done nothing but exceed expectations. I dont see why he cant be the guy

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea Bryan shouldn't be seen as a Calais replacement. He can be a LDE on 1st/2nd I suppose and go inside on 3rd but you would rather have him at UT all the time

whos to say Bryan wouldnt be a great LDE and move inside on the 3rd.  

theres an article out there that says Edge rushers are more valuable then interior rushers.   i would rather have him playing the more valuable position if he can play it well which based on his athletic tools seems to be entirely possible. 

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

tell me where that 20 million to keep ramsey is coming from.  we are tight on capspace as it is so theres gonna be some tough decisions to make that cap space happen wether it be from Gipson and Hayden to aj someone is gonna be bouncing from the secondary besides church, who we all agree is on borrowed time with the harrison pick. 

I agree tough decisions need to be made but i dont think that should be option 1. Hopefully the cap increase helps some but with the rollover and money we'd save adding in Bryan/Harrison, that should get us close

Just now, LinderFournette said:

whos to say Bryan wouldnt be a great LDE and move inside on the 3rd.  

theres an article out there that says Edge rushers are more valuable then interior rushers.   i would rather have him playing the more valuable position if he can play it well which based on his athletic tools seems to be entirely possible. 

I'm sure you can find articles that say the opposite but his best position is 3T. He can be a very good DE but he can be a great DT

Archived