Resetting the Runningback Market

Kiwibrown

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The only elite RB to even participate in a SB over the last 10 years was Beast Mode and he's 1-1 in the Title Game. And he wasn't getting paid elite cash at the time. As soon as he did get his Big Payday....two things happened. Seattle stopped going to SBs and Lynch stopped being a Seahawk

There is absolutely no evidence to support this elite RB / elite Pay premise, in fact the evidence strongly points the other way. Teams without elite RBs make and win the SB with regularity AND none of the current elite RBs have ever even made it to a Super Bowl let alone win one

Bell, Gurley, Zeke, Kamara, Hunt, DJohnson,  McCoy, Freeman, Fournette, MGordon, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, peak Eddie Lacy, Matt Forte, Arian Foster....etc.

Not a single SB appearance among them.

32 NFL teams and 100's of NFL RBs and their agents know this. That's why teams will continue to ride them hard because they know there's a never- ending supply of fresh young legs behind them.

And since elite RBs and elite- paid RBs are not necessary for a Title run - why pay the premium for a non-premium position ?  

I’d dispute that AP not making a Super Bowl wasn’t due to his in ability. It was because they never had a functional QB. If they had a Qb in the 10-14 range there are some years I think minny would contended for the Super Bowl. 

If Dak becomes that qb in the 8-12 range and Zeke becomes a top 1-5 workhorse rb we will see what the pairing of a good qb and a great rb can do in the modern nfl. 

As we have seen with Lynch and Wilson you can get things done with a good-great qb and an elite rb. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I’d dispute that AP not making a Super Bowl wasn’t due to his in ability. It was because they never had a functional QB. If they had a Qb in the 10-14 range there are some years I think minny would contended for the Super Bowl. 

If Dak becomes that qb in the 8-12 range and Zeke becomes a top 1-5 workhorse rb we will see what the pairing of a good qb and a great rb can do in the modern nfl. 

As we have seen with Lynch and Wilson you can get things done with a good-great qb and an elite rb. 

You can do it but the data and history suggests it probably won't happen and that philosphy isn't an efficant way to build a team

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

You can do it but the data and history suggests it probably won't happen and that philosphy isn't an efficant way to build a team

I think it is more probable to land a franchise QB than a game changing runningback. It is easier to find a good-decent RB than a good QB. My perspective is you get to play the hand you dealt. If you can get an excellent RB, you take it imo. 

32 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think it is more probable to land a franchise QB than a game changing runningback. It is easier to find a good-decent RB than a good QB. My perspective is you get to play the hand you dealt. If you can get an excellent RB, you take it imo. 

Not at the cost of landing a potential star player at a premium position.

Running backs on their second contract don't provide much value. That's why teams don't spend money on running backs.

However, teams DO spend a ton of draft capital on the position. When you divide by the number of snaps for each position, the amount of draft capital spent on RB is among the highest of any position on the field. I did the numbers for this a while back, and I believe that was a for a 5 year window where it seemed like everyone was afraid to take a top 5 back. It'll likely be near the top of non-QB positions by that measure now if you did the last 5 years.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Shanedorf said:

The only elite RB to even participate in a SB over the last 10 years was Beast Mode and he's 1-1 in the Title Game. And he wasn't getting paid elite cash at the time. As soon as he did get his Big Payday....two things happened. Seattle stopped going to SBs and Lynch stopped being a Seahawk

There is absolutely no evidence to support this elite RB / elite Pay premise, in fact the evidence strongly points the other way. Teams without elite RBs make and win the SB with regularity AND none of the current elite RBs have ever even made it to a Super Bowl let alone win one

Bell, Gurley, Zeke, Kamara, Hunt, DJohnson,  McCoy, Freeman, Fournette, MGordon, Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, peak Eddie Lacy, Matt Forte, Arian Foster....etc.

Not a single SB appearance among them.

32 NFL teams and 100's of NFL RBs and their agents know this. That's why teams will continue to ride them hard because they know there's a never- ending supply of fresh young legs behind them.

And since elite RBs and elite- paid RBs are not necessary for a Title run - why pay the premium for a non-premium position ?  

Lots of gems in this thread to pick through, but this one especially...

You can say this about most positions, honestly. When was the last time a QB paid at the top of a market won a SB? Same can be asked with receivers. Or just most positions, honestly. That doesn’t make a player like Aaron Rodgers, Antonio Brown, or Patrick Peterson not worth their contracts, though. How many SBs have JJ Watt, AJ Green, Von Miller (post contract extension), Russell Wilson (post contract extension), Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson won? 

Theres merit to the shelf life of most RBs, I’m not saying they’re worth some crazy amount of money. But the SB wins narrative doesn’t fit because that goes across the board for the most part. 

Archived