2018 FIFA World Cup Group C & Group D

LeeEvans

7 minutes ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Agreed. And, I didn't know if they have the same ability to produce world eleven calibre talent through their development pathways anymore

From 1995-2007 they won 5 of 7 U20 World Cup tournaments.

Since then, they made a QF in 2011 a couple of first round exits and a couple where they didn't even qualify.

They just aren't bringing through the talent right now.

3 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Has anybody even said Messi plays well for Argentina? If not then this is a strawman.

Lol, not on this site, just generally. One I saw this morning was a long post about how he dragged his team to the final and won player of the tournament four years ago (implication: he must have played well).

Not really a strawman either, since I’m not actually making an argument.

33 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

From 1995-2007 they won 5 of 7 U20 World Cup tournaments.

Since then, they made a QF in 2011 a couple of first round exits and a couple where they didn't even qualify.

They just aren't bringing through the talent right now.

It'd be interesting to find out what the cause of their recent struggles is... 

Other countries catching up & getting better.

The Argentine development system falling behind the trend, & lacking resources.

Apathy amongst young Argentines, & the sport (Or sport in general) no longer attracting elite young talent... (Although, you'd think in the era of Messi, youth participation would be through the roof in Argentina).

12 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Awful? More than half of the coaches in this tournament would give up a nut to have his players.

Other than forwards that team is garbage and they played one of those, two if you're counting Messi. That Croatia team is more talented than Argentina's. Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic, Perisic, Rebic, Lovren, Mandzukic I would take over Mascherano, Enzo, Mesa, Salvio, Acuna, Pavon, Rojo, Marchado etc. 

Argentina has Messi and a great group of forwards but they only have one on the field at a time and the rest of the squad is average at the very best. 

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

We can't overlook Sampoli and his ineptness.

Plan A - give it to Messi

Plan B - go to plan A

You have to wonder why that is the case though.  It's not like the Chilean team under him just stood around and watched Alexis Sanchez.

The squad and starting line-ups are definitely all on Sampaoli though

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

You have to wonder why that is the case though.  It's not like the Chilean team under him just stood around and watched Alexis Sanchez.

The squad and starting line-ups are definitely all on Sampaoli though

I don't think Sampoli knew what to do with Messi. A front three of Aguero Dybala and Messi probably wouldn't have worked and they don't have the midfielders to play a 4-3-3 system.

I think he spent too much time focusing on Messi and not realising what was best for the team.

9 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

they don't have the midfielders to play a 4-3-3 system.

Banega and Lo Celso would have been a good start then maybe Biglia or Paredes (who didn't make the squad)

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Banega and Lo Celso would have been a good start then maybe Biglia or Paredes (who didn't make the squad)

Don't know why they were both substitutes for both games.

Also remember Sampoli took off Aguero when they went 1-0 down

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Iceland-Nigeria is what the world cup is all about.

Just two teams playing hard and playing for the pride of their country. Not billion dollar players wanking around and not giving an arse

Definitely no Ronaldo type salary players but still most players are in top leagues. The biggest thing for me is that, Iceland in particular, work so well as a team and thats something we havent seen from a lot of nations so far in this tournament.

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Definitely no Ronaldo type salary players but still most players are in top leagues. The biggest thing for me is that, Iceland in particular, work so well as a team and thats something we havent seen from a lot of nations so far in this tournament.

Exactly, there's some class players, Mikel, Moses, Ihenacho, Sigurdsson, Villa's finest Birkir Bjarnsson... but you can tell the world cup is huge for them, whereas some of the big teams it's kind of just another day on set

Archived