2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

34 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I have no hate for Neymar at all, his ability and the entertainment he brings supersedes any of his antics. 

As for Germany, I can’t even blame the CBs because they had no cover whatsoever. CBs should never be that isolated. 

Hummels, Boateng and Neuer have over 200 caps between them and Neuer is the captain. They should take the onus and demand it of their teammate's to cover. Peter Schmeichel used to go apoplectic if he thought players weren't pulling a shift.

Sounds to me like there's some disharmony in the squad.

This is going to be the first day of games I'm going to be missing. Not too mad about missing any of the games besides the England v Tunisia game which I'm recording and will watch later. I'll probably find an audio stream for Korea v Sweden but Belgium v Panama does not interest me. 

FYI - Mark Clattenburg, Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Ian Wright all thought the goal should have been disallowed with VAR.

I think my argument regarding the French penalty has been fully vindicated.

VAR is far too subjective.

4 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

FYI - Mark Clattenburg, Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Ian Wright all thought the goal should have been disallowed with VAR.

I think my argument regarding the French penalty has been fully vindicated.

VAR is far too subjective.

That's a laughable stance. I heard Wenger's opinion and he basically if you use VAR for every goal from a corner or freekick we might as well just scrap them because they would all be called back. 

That was such a weak foul and if a goal gets overturned because of something like that its laughable. 

17 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

That's a laughable stance. I heard Wenger's opinion and he basically if you use VAR for every goal from a corner or freekick we might as well just scrap them because they would all be called back. 

That was such a weak foul and if a goal gets overturned because of something like that its laughable. 

I agree. It's why I don't think France should have had a penalty awarded.

I think I said it in another thread, if VAR is rolled out without being tinkered with, the penalty count in all major competitions is going to increase substantially.

14 minutes ago, kempus said:

I'm fairly strongly against VAR in any form.

I'm actually very pro VAR but it needs to have clear and outlined rules and guidelines. All penalties should be reviewed and I'm okay with goals with questionable offsides. They need to figure out what they want to review, standardize it and then speed up the review process. They should get to a point where VAR doesnt take much longer than goal line technology.

13 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm actually very pro VAR but it needs to have clear and outlined rules and guidelines. All penalties should be reviewed and I'm okay with goals with questionable offsides. They need to figure out what they want to review, standardize it and then speed up the review process. They should get to a point where VAR doesnt take much longer than goal line technology.

But, as Tex said, it's too subjective. It's also sterilizing a sport in which those split second ref decisions make the game, for better or worse. I'm not sure VAR will ever be that streamlined. I experienced VAR at at Chinese League match. It was hilarious. There was an incident in the box and then literally 3 or more miniutes the ref blew to stop play. Nobody in the stadium had a clue what was going on. The most farcical thing I've ever experienced at a sports event. 

VAR doesn't make the sport any better, it's unnecessary. Decisions go both ways, it's those talking points and potential controversies that make Football what it is, imo. It doesn't need to be sterilized by an inefficient, subjective technology.

4 minutes ago, kempus said:

But, as Tex said, it's too subjective. It's also sterilizing a sport in which those split second ref decisions make the game, for better or worse. I'm not sure VAR will ever be that streamlined. I experienced VAR at at Chinese League match. It was hilarious. There was an incident in the box and then literally 3 or more miniutes the ref blew to stop play. Nobody in the stadium had a clue what was going on. The most farcical thing I've ever experienced at a sports event. 

VAR doesn't make the sport any better, it's unnecessary. Decisions go both ways, it's those talking points and potential controversies that make Football what it is, imo. It doesn't need to be sterilized by an inefficient, subjective technology.

I disagree with letting incorrect calls stand because they're interesting is the right mindset personally. I do agree that VAR, as it is, is pretty terrible. I personally think that for the VAR to work quickly and seamlessly the video refs should be the ones who end up making the calls on VAR circumstances. Having the ref walk off the field and look at the screen is incredibly slow and just terrible. I understand not wanting to take power away from the head ref but it's the only way it will work imo.

I think penalty decisions it not blatently obvious should remain as they are.

If there's an obvious offside, or someone has gone full Nigel De Jong then I get it. But the fact we are having a debate about these decisions defeats the object of VAR altogether!

As @kempus said too, it can lead to farcical situations. Wasn't there one situation where the players had gone off for half time but had to come back out for a penalty kick?

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

I think penalty decisions it not blatently obvious should remain as they are.

If there's an obvious offside, or someone has gone full Nigel De Jong then I get it. But the fact we are having a debate about these decisions defeats the object of VAR altogether!

As @kempus said too, it can lead to farcical situations. Wasn't there one situation where the players had gone off for half time but had to come back out for a penalty kick?

Yup in the Bundesliga. VAR is far slow in it's current format.

Just now, drd23 said:

Well that was a good use of VAR - clear pen on replay

But, it's subjective when it's reviewed. There was a foul on Son, in the first half, that could have easily been called a pen. Why wasn't that reviewed?

Archived