Titans Sign Harold Landry

Titans fan 617

6 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

He has agreed to his rookie deal no camp holdouts this year 

Except for maybe Lewan.

Everyone's gung ho about us signing him any minute... but this is JRob's first venture into franchise type contract... Up to now, he's shown enough similarities to where most of his mentorship took place... Foxborough, alongside Belichick.  Making this kinda signing is really against the principles of the "Patriot way".  

I expect them to resign Lewan to a monster extension, but I won't be completely surprised if they didn't.   I mean, who's to say that inside Robinson's head, he already drafted Lewan's replacement in Conklin... and my look to draft his replacement as soon as next year (given that player a couple of years of grooming before taking over the left side). This is all just sensationalist thoughts of mine... probably far from what will take place... but maybe...

Anyway, sorry I hijacked this Landry threat on a Lewan tangent... but it is somewhat related in the sense that I'm talking about the potential Lewan holdout.  

14 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Except for maybe Lewan.

Everyone's gung ho about us signing him any minute... but this is JRob's first venture into franchise type contract... Up to now, he's shown enough similarities to where most of his mentorship took place... Foxborough, alongside Belichick.  Making this kinda signing is really against the principles of the "Patriot way".  

I expect them to resign Lewan to a monster extension, but I won't be completely surprised if they didn't.   I mean, who's to say that inside Robinson's head, he already drafted Lewan's replacement in Conklin... and my look to draft his replacement as soon as next year (given that player a couple of years of grooming before taking over the left side). This is all just sensationalist thoughts of mine... probably far from what will take place... but maybe...

Anyway, sorry I hijacked this Landry threat on a Lewan tangent... but it is somewhat related in the sense that I'm talking about the potential Lewan holdout.  

Not sure first venture in to franchise type contract is entirely accurate. While Casey was still under contract for a bit, the extension they gave Casey last year has made him one of the highest paid 3-4 DEs in the NFL. His salary this year will be the 2nd highest among all 3-4 defensive ends, only behind JJ Watt, and as things sit now will be in the top 5(obviously can change as other 3-4 DEs get contract extensions, etc over the years) in pay throughout the entirety of his contract.

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Not sure first venture in to franchise type contract is entirely accurate. While Casey was still under contract for a bit, the extension they gave Casey last year has made him one of the highest paid 3-4 DEs in the NFL. His salary this year will be the 2nd highest among all 3-4 defensive ends, only behind JJ Watt, and as things sit now will be in the top 5(obviously can change as other 3-4 DEs get contract extensions, etc over the years) in pay throughout the entirety of his contract.

Forgot about Casey... and it also seems I fell into the trap of believing something that is often repeated but that may not be entirely true.  While the Pats have been known to jettison or let go of some of their top guys... they've also set the market before:

• Signed Adalius Thomas in 2007 to the highest per season LB contract ever at that time
  • In 2010, made Wolfork the highest paid NT in NFL.
  • In 2010 also made Brady the highest player in the NFL
  • Made Mankins the highest paid G in the NFL in 2011
  • Also in 2011, made Mayo the 2nd highest paid LB at that time
  • In 2012, made Gronk the highest paid TE in the NFL.
  • In 2015, gave McCourty a contract that made him 2nd highest paid safety at that time (ET)
  • Then last year gave that monster contract to Gilmore

So while they have let go of some good players they just didn't feel were worth the perceived contract, they also haven't shied away from paying those they felt worth it.  JRob certainly felt Casey was that kind of player (100% correct)... and Lewan is also that kinda player.  

That alleviates that little concern that had crept in... I fully believe Lewan will be locked down for a long time.  

Archived