Machado to the Dodgers for Yusniel Diaz + 4 Prospects

ramssuperbowl99

23 hours ago, devils1854 said:

What an awful trade for the Orioles, but what do you expect? They took quantity and minor league production over quality. Diaz is the only one that even somewhat moves the needles.

Diaz is the #84 prospect from MLB.com, and becomes the #2 prospect for the Orioles.  However, Baseball America has him breaking their top 50 in their mid-season poll.  He's a plus defender, plus plus arm, plate discipline and he's made some mechanical adjustments that may bring more power.  Once his frame fills out a bit more, the power will come.  

Kremer has shown increased development in his secondary pitches this year, as well as an ability to control them, raising his profile to that of a middle of the rotation pitcher.  

I don't know much about Bannon, but he was dominating high A with a .961 OPS and already an above average defender, so we will have to see how he performs in AA ball and how his bat continues to develop.  

Zach Pop is perhaps the most interesting of them all.  He already has a great fastball and a great slider, and looks like he could be a right-handed Andrew Miller out of the pen if he can continue to refine his command.  It will also be interesting to see if the Orioles develop him as such, or work with him on adding an off-speed pitch and see how well he can do as a starter.  

All in all, not a bad package haul.  While I would've preferred to trade three of the prospects for either Dustin May or Gavin Lux to get more quality than quantity, I feel that all four of these prospects have a future in Baltimore that's not far off.  

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Yet again my front office gets finessed. Should've done this a year ago though and we wouldn't have been in this situation. Sounds like they're about to re-sign Duquette as well? Heart broken.

Re-signing Duquette is a smart move, especially if they are going to let him go into the international waters.  Duquette has gotten hammered by the Orioles fanbase, but this guy, moreso than Epstein in my opinion, built the Red Sox for sustained success with their international scouting and development system.  The problem is that the Orioles never let him bring any of his guys in except Ferreira, and then never let him use one of the best international scouts unless it was for a "professional" signing like Chen or Kim.  

Also, let's not forget Brady Anderson has whatever role he has, and at times has undercut Duquette.  Him and Showalter have always had an icy relationship, and Buck has been able to get some of his philosophies, outdated as they are like the slidestep and the minimalist windup, ingrained in our system from the top to bottom.  

IF they are letting Duquette blow this entire thing up and rebuild it from the ground up, I absolutely support it.  He needs to be able to pick his manager, his assistant GM and fill the front office with more analytics and go head-first into the international market and start developing academies throughout the baseball-rich countries.  These are things he wanted to do when he originally came on board, and ownership stopped him.  If they are going to let him do it right, then we have the right guy for the job. 

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

mlb.com prospect rankings will update soon. Willing to bet Diaz a top 40 prospect.

Thanks.  Also, projecting this outfield for 2020, and maybe even next year.........we currently have the worst outfield defense.  Mark Trumbo and Danny Valencia are splitting time in right field.  Adam Jones and Trey Mancini are in CF and LF, and they are two of the top bottom players in DRS.  Our outfield defense has been horrendous since Markakis left.  If we have an outfield of Austin Hays, Cedric Mullens and Diaz, they are all at least plus defenders with plus-plus arms coming from the corners.  It will be nice to see a group that can chase baseballs down instead of seeing them fall in for hit after hit after hit.  

On 7/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Re-signing Duquette is a smart move, especially if they are going to let him go into the international waters.  Duquette has gotten hammered by the Orioles fanbase, but this guy, moreso than Epstein in my opinion, built the Red Sox for sustained success with their international scouting and development system.  The problem is that the Orioles never let him bring any of his guys in except Ferreira, and then never let him use one of the best international scouts unless it was for a "professional" signing like Chen or Kim.  

Also, let's not forget Brady Anderson has whatever role he has, and at times has undercut Duquette.  Him and Showalter have always had an icy relationship, and Buck has been able to get some of his philosophies, outdated as they are like the slidestep and the minimalist windup, ingrained in our system from the top to bottom.  

IF they are letting Duquette blow this entire thing up and rebuild it from the ground up, I absolutely support it.  He needs to be able to pick his manager, his assistant GM and fill the front office with more analytics and go head-first into the international market and start developing academies throughout the baseball-rich countries.  These are things he wanted to do when he originally came on board, and ownership stopped him.  If they are going to let him do it right, then we have the right guy for the job. 

I'd love to take that high road, but after the 2015 off-season I can't forgive. The Orioles were 4 close games away from a World Series Appearance and what do they do? Travis F'in Snyder. Then on top of that, Duquette playing both sides trying to be a Bluejay Exec. Nah, pass, see ya later Dan. If they're for real, the Orioles need to blow everything up. Top to bottom.

16 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'd love to take that high road, but after the 2015 off-season I can't forgive. The Orioles were 4 close games away from a World Series Appearance and what do they do? Travis F'in Snyder. Then on top of that, Duquette playing both sides trying to be a Bluejay Exec. Nah, pass, see ya later Dan. If they're for real, the Orioles need to blow everything up. Top to bottom.

There is no high road about it.  If they give the keys and authority to Duquette, which they haven't done before, he can turn us into a team like the Red Sox as far as their prospect pipeline through the years is concerned, and if ownership is willing to keep us around a $160 million payroll with that kind of prospect pipeline in a few years, the Orioles could be a long-term competitive team and doing much more "retooling" rather than "rebuilding."  

Archived