Finally! It’s back! Preseason Week 1: Cleveland Browns @ New York Giants

Acgott

36 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'm happy with the pick because the last thing I felt the team needed was another quarterback.    

Another QB? We have one below average one and a mid round round pick. Our starting QB is 37 years old. Thats a lot of faith to put into a 3rd round pick

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Another QB? We have one below average one and a mid round round pick. Our starting QB is 37 years old. Thats a lot of faith to put into a 3rd round pick

Another quarterback on the bench isn't going to win us any more games this season.  I'm fine with Manning and the backups we've got on the roster.

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Another quarterback on the bench isn't going to win us any more games this season.  I'm fine with Manning and the backups we've got on the roster.

We were 3-13 last season. We should have worked on the rebuild not winning now. I be happy if we can get to 8-8 this season. Eli may not even make it through the season before he gets benched. No excuse with all his weapons.

7 minutes ago, Acgott said:

We were 3-13 last season. We should have worked on the rebuild not winning now. I be happy if we can get to 8-8 this season. Eli may not even make it through the season before he gets benched. No excuse with all his weapons.

Blame the coaching, blame the GM, blame the offensive line, blame the lack of a running game but I'm not going to blame Eli.  You can if you like, that's your opinion I won't bash you for doing so.

19 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Blame the coaching, blame the GM, blame the offensive line, blame the lack of a running game but I'm not going to blame Eli.  You can if you like, that's your opinion I won't bash you for doing so.

Even if hes decent we need to look for the future. He's 37 years old. We are betting a lot on mid round picks.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I think we're going to see Webb develop.

That is the exact same thing people thought about Ryan Nassib.  The GM put us in a win now mode and we are not ready to win now. We would have been setup perfectly for the future with Sam Darnold and the GM blew it even worst now the Jets have our franchise QB for next 15 years. If we are lucky we will only be in QB purgatory  for a decade after Eli retires.

53 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

That is the exact same thing people thought about Ryan Nassib.  The GM put us in a win now mode and we are not ready to win now. We would have been setup perfectly for the future with Sam Darnold and the GM blew it even worst now the Jets have our franchise QB for next 15 years. If we are lucky we will only be in QB purgatory  for a decade after Eli retires.

What is stopping this team from being a win now team?  If anything, its the offensive line and has been the issue for a few years.  Providing the line can play at even slightly above average, we've got the weapons at receiver and now at running back to put up some solid numbers offensively.  Defense isn't horrible and if the team can move the chains on offense, they won't be on the field the entire game like last year.

Drafting a quarterback this past draft would of given us a "potential" starter next season but to label a rookie a franchise QB this early in his career is a bit much.  No need to throw in the towel, we've had one preseason game.  I stand by my statement that Webb can develop into a starting quarterback.  If the offensive line can play above average we'll win games and be competitive this year.  

53 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Just curious - what did you guys think of our guys on the Browns?

I think you've got a starting quarterback in Baker.  I live in Oklahoma and the man is so competitive, he'll lift the talent around him to play their best football.  He'll hold people accountable.  He'll fire up the side line and the fans.

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

What is stopping this team from being a win now team?  If anything, its the offensive line and has been the issue for a few years.  Providing the line can play at even slightly above average, we've got the weapons at receiver and now at running back to put up some solid numbers offensively.  Defense isn't horrible and if the team can move the chains on offense, they won't be on the field the entire game like last year.

Drafting a quarterback this past draft would of given us a "potential" starter next season but to label a rookie a franchise QB this early in his career is a bit much.  No need to throw in the towel, we've had one preseason game.  I stand by my statement that Webb can develop into a starting quarterback.  If the offensive line can play above average we'll win games and be competitive this year.  

The GM made this a win now team, instead of building for the future. I believe your question is what is going to stop this team for winning now. I'll give you the list.

1. The Eagles, we are not as good as they are  so we are not winning the division. Given how good the NFC is overall, it is going to take at least 10 wins to get a wildcard, I don't see us winning 10 games.

2. New defensive and new offensive system. It usually takes a couple of games for a defense to get a real feel for a new system, it takes longer for an offense. This adjustment period is going to cost us games.

3. Killer schedule, we can very easily go 1-5 in our first 6 games and if we do there is no way are getting enough wins to make the playoffs.

4. The offensive line, it is better but it is not complete. Right Tackle and Center are big concerns.  And lets not fool ourselves Nate Solder is being paid like a top LT but he is not a top of the line LT.

5. Lack of depth, we still have no idea who our starting Free Safety is, who is going to be third and fourth Corner Back. The lack of quality we will have if we suffer injury at those positions and Linebacker and either Right or Light Tackle should be a great concern. 

Even if everything break right and we sneak into the playoffs, winning one or two games  playoff games is not enough. To me when you build yourself to be a win now team while you have a franchise QB then anything less than a Superbowl appearance is a disappointment. I don't believe anyone here believes this is a Superbowl caliber team. 

We should have bitten the bullet for this year, get rid of all the high priced contracts and not taken on any (like Ogletree). Then to start the 2019 season  with a ton of cap space, plus quality draft picks and a Qb in only year 2 of his rookie deal. We would have been setup to be one of the top teams in the NFC and a legit Superbowl contending team for the next decade.

And outside of Odell what other weapons do we have at receiver? The only thing Sterling is considered great at is route running, he is okay but I would not call him a weapon.

Archived