Preseason week 1: Lions @ Raiders

RaidersAreOne

I think M. Lee looked very good. better playing speed I general from the defense. Not a ton of wide open guys all over like years past. 

LB is a little weak, but Lee, marrow, whitehead, dj should be decent enough of PJ Hall turns out how i think he will. Also Irvin and Mack are great vs run for lineman.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

SSDD with this group. Why this team won't address the LB position is anyones guess. This group is going to be awful week to week. Week 1, they are going to get eaten alive by Todd Gurley and the Rams. 

There isn't a single LB in the group that has any business starting. The depth is just atrocious. Wilbur? Cabinda? Help us! Really disappointed that Victor seems like a nobody. Thought maybe he would show something as he looked good once upon a time at UW. 

This is false. Whitehead is legitimate and would start on other teams. The other starters and depth are a concern however.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hurst had some good penetration at times. But he was stood up a number of times and dominated by a double on one play where he ended up turning his back on the play.

That's the knock on Hurst is how he will hold up against the run. He's quick and can penetrate, but in run defense he can get locked up.

Hopefully when Mack comes back he won’t have to worry about double teams 

14 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Hopefully when Mack comes back he won’t have to worry about double teams 

A lot of inside zone run plays double at least one interior player no matter who's on the edge. He's going to have to get better at planting an anchor when he doesn't get penetration. Overall, I thought Hurst looked a little overmatched at times and Hall looked like the more ready to start if it came down to it.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Let's talk about Carr for a second. Sure he was only in there for a few plays, but damn his throws were sure ugly. 2 were nearly picked, and the deep ball to Bryant was hideous. You could see him throwing off his back for some reason when it wasn't necessary. 

The Bryant deep ball was bad, but this is something I've come to expect from Carr: he's not a good deep ball thrower. Apart from that, I didn't see him throwing from his back foot at all and the duck that was a result of him getting his arm hit upon release.

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The Bryant deep ball was bad, but this is something I've come to expect from Carr: he's not a good deep ball thrower. Apart from that, I didn't see him throwing from his back foot at all and the duck that was a result of him getting his arm hit upon release.

One of us is confused then. The throw that he was hit on was to Jordy Nelson, which was nearly picked iirc. The deep ball to Bryant I thought he simply didn't step up in. 

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

One of us is confused then. The throw that he was hit on was to Jordy Nelson, which was nearly picked iirc. The deep ball to Bryant I thought he simply didn't step up in. 

Looking at Gamepass, neither where back foot throws.

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Looking at Gamepass, neither where back foot throws.

Did he fail to step up/not follow through though? I remember thinking whatever he did looked unnatural and not mechanically sound for a QB this experienced. His deep ball and mechanics leave a lot to be desired still unfortunately. 

53 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Did he fail to step up/not follow through though? I remember thinking whatever he did looked unnatural and not mechanically sound for a QB this experienced. His deep ball and mechanics leave a lot to be desired still unfortunately. 

I'm not going to pretend to know what definitely are and aren't sound mechanics of a professional quarterback. All I know is he didn't throw off his back foot on either throw. The deep ball to Bryant was more of an issue for me. He did throw the ball around 60 yards -- I'm not sure if he can throw it farther -- so it might just be out of his range for what he can do accurately. The 3rd down throw was an issue of not sensing the frontside pressure for me. I'd like to see Carr practice being more mobile and making more space for himself within the pocket. 

7 hours ago, roi34 said:

I think M. Lee looked very good. better playing speed I general from the defense. Not a ton of wide open guys all over like years past. 

LB is a little weak, but Lee, marrow, whitehead, dj should be decent enough of PJ Hall turns out how i think he will. Also Irvin and Mack are great vs run for lineman.

Marrow got ZERO snaps on defense last night. Might be time to stop kidding ourselves that he's going to have a role.

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Marrow got ZERO snaps on defense last night. Might be time to stop kidding ourselves that he's going to have a role.

Maybe we shouldn’t jump to conclusions one way or the other. On Tuesday he was being looked at for a foot injury and on Wednesday he didn’t practice at all. Might have something to do with it. Not to mention he was listed as a second team LB ahead of guys like Cabinda, Victor and Cowser. 

Archived