Marcus Williams CB

Dome

Apparently we can’t get enough of guys named Marcus Williams. Looks like he was a fairly productive starter for the Jets then played for you guys last year. Can anyone tell me about him?

Also how has Senio been? When you signed him I popped in and think I said he’d be a servicable starter or something along those lines. Has he kept my word for me? Maybe he’s done better?

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Apparently we can’t get enough of guys named Marcus Williams. Looks like he was a fairly productive starter for the Jets then played for you guys last year. Can anyone tell me about him?

I vaguely remember him - think he drew a few big PIs when pressed into action at CB, but he did have a pick vs Seattle in the Watson v Wilson shootout last season. Depth at most, will probably only play if there's a rash of injuries.

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Also how has Senio been? When you signed him I popped in and think I said he’d be a servicable starter or something along those lines. Has he kept my word for me? Maybe he’s done better?

He played about three drives vs the Chiefs at LG, and really looked good in those moments - worked well with C Nick Martin and LT Julie'n Davenport to redirect and keep a clean pocket for Brandon Weeden. He also had some deft run blocking for Lamar Miller, that's a positive for this OL.

The coaching staff mentioned that he's the most veteran player on this OL and is taking on a leadership role, so that's always a plus, too.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I vaguely remember him - think he drew a few big PIs when pressed into action at CB, but he did have a pick vs Seattle in the Watson v Wilson shootout last season. Depth at most, will probably only play if there's a rash of injuries.

He played about three drives vs the Chiefs at LG, and really looked good in those moments - worked well with C Nick Martin and LT Julie'n Davenport to redirect and keep a clean pocket for Brandon Weeden. He also had some deft run blocking for Lamar Miller, that's a positive for this OL.

The coaching staff mentioned that he's the most veteran player on this OL and is taking on a leadership role, so that's always a plus, too.

I felt like he was by far the weakest link. One play I remember him not blocking his man and getting in Davenports way as well 

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I felt like he was by far the weakest link. One play I remember him not blocking his man and getting in Davenports way as well 

I felt that way on the right side - seems like every play, Seantrell Henderson amd Zach Fulton were getting beat. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I felt that way on the right side - seems like every play, Seantrell Henderson amd Zach Fulton were getting beat. 

Davenport looked pretty good, but he was blown back a few times, held his ground though and didn't give up a sack. I am optimistic that he can be our long term solution there. 

Fulton doesnt bother me. Martin didnt look good last year, but for some reason the coaches have him penciled in for the long haul there. I would say Fulton will be solid. LG and RT are the issues. Hopefully Rankin will come back healthy and can challenge for the starting RT spot

I am WAYYY less sold on Kelemete than the rest of you.  He struck me as the clear weak link in week 1 besides Kendall Lamm.  Henderson and Davenport are raw, but if/when the technique and awareness meet the physical traits there is room for significant upside with regular work.  Kelemete strikes me as nothing more than a 28 year old backup, who has a job here because he's not as prone to the horrific mistakes in pass protection XSF was, but he didn't present enough upside to even earn a starting gig as the light never really came on and stayed on consistently.   I see him as nothing more than a placeholder which scares me a bit as we have a coach who let XSF play nearly every snap for 4 years, Allen for 2, and then wrote Giacomini's name in Sharpie every down last year all with ample evidence that they were amongst the worst in the NFL at their jobs. I'm not saying he might not be an improvement over the dregs we had the past two years, but I'm just hoping we are willing to learn from past mistakes and not shy away from promoting Rankin or Fuller when they are ready, who I see as guys who can actually make plays including blocking to the 2nd level.  Consistency on the o-line is important, but not when it's consistently bad. 

As for Marcus Williams (Cornerback), I suspect he was brought in just to absorb some of the heckling Marcus Williams (Safety) will receive after the most horrific missed tackle in NFL history vs. the Vikings.  Sean Payton probably just needed to get some of his rage out on a guy named Marcus Williams and the 2nd round one actually has a future, so they brought in the stunt double to absorb some punishment. The talent difference might rival Kareem Hunt vs. Akeem Hunt in KC, but I applaud the attempt to complicate things for broadcasters.  Reminds me of the two Roy Williams' in Dallas or when my Baylor Bears had Robert Griffin blocking for Robert Griffin (hence the III).  I remember being very confused when I first read Moneyball awaiting the chapter when he comes out of the closet (which was Billy Bean, not Billy Beane).   

Archived