Isaiah Wynn out for 2018 with torn Achilles

Elky

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

The odds of players coming back and succeeding in the NFL after having this type of injury are not good. Not saying it's a career killer but it's going to be an uphill battle for Wynn. This really sucks.

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/sports-medicine/news/online/{883c07e5-8ff6-44ab-b6a4-2f27fb3dc473}/most-football-players-returned-to-nfl-after-achilles-tendon-repair

Oof. According to this article, an Achilles tear is career-ending 28% of the time. Yikes. That would be bad.

27 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/sports-medicine/news/online/{883c07e5-8ff6-44ab-b6a4-2f27fb3dc473}/most-football-players-returned-to-nfl-after-achilles-tendon-repair

Oof. According to this article, an Achilles tear is career-ending 28% of the time. Yikes. That would be bad.

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

This study paints an even more grim outlook.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

Even with 1/3 of players never coming back from injury, those that do come back are never the same and exit the NFL not long after the injury. There are some exceptions of course, hopefully Wynn is one of them...

Didn't Kobe have a torn achilles? (please don't say different sport :x)

They take ages to recover from, but I thought it was one of those where the tendon becomes stronger afterwards. I guess it depends on a variety of factors. One of the more painful ones, apparently. The achilles tendon is like Battleship rope, imagine that pinging.

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn't Kobe have a torn achilles? (please don't say different sport :x)

They take ages to recover from, but I thought it was one of those where the tendon becomes stronger afterwards. I guess it depends on a variety of factors. One of the more painful ones, apparently. The achilles tendon is like Battleship rope, imagine that pinging.

Kobe wasn't the same coming back.  He was noticeably slower, but also at the end of his career. So could have been the injury or it could have been father time... or both.  Dominique Wilkins is probably the best case where a player came back without missing a beat.  

I really hope Wynn can comeback from this.  Hate to see a promising career end before it had a chance to start.

On 18/08/2018 at 12:30 PM, Elky said:

Devin McCourty and Nate Solder. Honestly, Belichick has been trading his first round picks for most of this decade lol

Wouldn't have Solder down as healthy most of the time. 

The cynic in me wants to snap back and say D-Mac was a failed a CB prospect xD

That's our 2 1st Round Picks this year with injury problems...

36 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

Wouldn't have Solder down as healthy most of the time. 

The cynic in me wants to snap back and say D-Mac was a failed a CB prospect xD

That's our 2 1st Round Picks this year with injury problems...

Solder played 15 games in 6/7 seasons. Not an iron man, but that is what I would call “healthy for a majority of the time”.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Solder played 15 games in 6/7 seasons. Not an iron man, but that is what I would call “healthy for a majority of the time”.

Rarely at 100% though, in fact, he was probably closer to 50% than 100% for his entire Patriots career. 

3 hours ago, TomRalph said:

Rarely at 100% though, in fact, he was probably closer to 50% than 100% for his entire Patriots career. 

Out of all the weeks Solder has played in, he’s appeared on the injury report 9 times. 

Im not suggesting Solder was 100% every week (no NFL athlete is, really), but there’s really nothing to substantiate that he was injured for a majority of his career. 

Archived